ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: USPS/FedEx/UPS Horror Stories  (Read 15561 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: USPS/FedEx/UPS Horror Stories
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »

UPS emailed me that they were denying the claim because the proper packaging was not used.

Obviously, if you had used the correct packaging, it wouldn't have been damaged. :o  >:(  ::)

That's their story, and they're sticking to it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »

Warning........... This is NOT new...

News Flash:
Fed-Ex and UPS have agreed in principal to form a low-cost, consumer oriented courier division.
A spokesman for the new company, to be called "Fed-UPS", says Full Service will be up and running for the upcoming Christmas Season.......

Chris.
In my area, UPS in the good'un. Puro-sooner-or-later is not horrible, and Dicom is, well, Dicom.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »

A while back I shipped some speaker parts via Fed Ex that were going to New Jersey, after a couple days the tracking updates just stopped at a location in Tennessee and stayed there for going on close to a week. After a couple of phone calls I found out the truck carrying the package was in an accident and all packages were considered damaged.
It took a while but I did get my insurance claim check.

I have a Fed Ex shipping account and even with that I really wonder had I not started making phone calls if I would have ever been notified.

I also had a UPS freight shipment of some speakers that instead of being delivered to Ohio ended up in Arizona and vacationed there for about a week till they showed back up on the UPS radar.

Steve Crump

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »

Obviously, if you had used the correct packaging, it wouldn't have been damaged. :o  >:(  ::)

That's their story, and they're sticking to it.

The ironic part is I thought I had done a pretty good job of wrapping, packing, taping, especially thinking back on some of the speakers I have received over time that were basically in a plastic bag placed in a single ply box. I have had new speakers come to me with the box beat up, one end open and think, “man this speaker is going to look rough”. Open it up and the speaker not have a scratch.
I have to admit we receive packages almost daily and almost all contents are always undamaged, so I can’t really complain.

Now freight lines are another story.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »

The ironic part is I thought I had done a pretty good job of wrapping, packing, taping, especially thinking back on some of the speakers I have received over time that were basically in a plastic bag placed in a single ply box. I have had new speakers come to me with the box beat up, one end open and think, “man this speaker is going to look rough”. Open it up and the speaker not have a scratch.
I have to admit we receive packages almost daily and almost all contents are always undamaged, so I can’t really complain.

Now freight lines are another story.
With the massive expansion of internet sales with bricks and mortar sellers now turning into fulfillment center too, I have seen some incredibly poor packing jobs. They have the benefit of shorter hops, but still some pack jobs are ridiculously inadequate.

Over the decades I have dealt with this as a manufacturer and large scale shipper. Even product design gets adjusted to  reduce shipping damage. Try shipping SKUs halfway around the world.  :o   Nothing like dropping a container full of old school heavy-iron power amps onto the dock from height, and then expecting the shipping pack to survive a few more shipments, to distributors, and then dealers.  ::)

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »

Not UPS related, but...

I used a local freight company to pick up a SD8 from a gig a couple of days ago. They managed to roll it off the ramp so now 8 faders in the master section doesn’t work....

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »

But the USPS IMO "should" recognize box holders street address and give me my damn mail.

Mine does -even badly mis-labelled or with the wrong PO box.
Sounds like it could be one of three issues:
1)your town isn't quite small enough for the common sense to kick-in
2)your postmaster has bad OCD and is incompetent on top of that
3)you postmaster hates *you*

I've seen examples of all 3 in my town over the years

Anyways the problem sounds more like your local USPS management and your regional director would be the one to talk with before wasting your time on federal level changes!

I'm actually happy with our USPS performance and prefer them over Fed-EX and UPS in our little corner of the frozen North.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »

Mine does -even badly mis-labelled or with the wrong PO box.
Sounds like it could be one of three issues:
1)your town isn't quite small enough for the common sense to kick-in
Remember we are talking about the post office. My town is small enough that I don't expect the local post office to survive the eventual rounds of cost cutting. Then I will have to install a mailbox, to get mail.
2)your postmaster has bad OCD and is incompetent on top of that
Indeed the current post mistress is not the sharpest stick in the bunch... but she knows me and generally delivers all of my mail in my box while repeating the mantra that I need to correct the mailing address with the sender.
3)you postmaster hates *you*
Unfortunately I suspect she likes me a little too much, but since I have lived here I have seen multiple different postmasters come and go. Not to mention temporary postmasters for weeks at a time...

I fully expect the explanation for my house insurance bills arriving for 30 years and then not arriving last december was during a brief stint with a temporary postmistress who was a by the numbers kind of woman, who didn't know or care who I was. In fact I recall a conversation with her about the PO flag... it was supposed to be at half-staff or something like that... she wouldn't do anything unless she received special instructions from the mother ship. (I was a clerk in the army so understand the power that clerks can wield in a bureaucracy.) Maybe disappearing my insurance bill was a little passive-aggressive post office payback.  ::)
I've seen examples of all 3 in my town over the years

Anyways the problem sounds more like your local USPS management and your regional director would be the one to talk with before wasting your time on federal level changes!
If it was just dealing with the regular local lady, there is no problem, I can tell she generally wants to make me happy... but the rules are pretty clear that they don't deliver street mail to the PO boxes.

The larger problem as I have shared is that UPS and others license the USPS street address database so my street address just does not exist as far as that computer database is concerned.
I'm actually happy with our USPS performance and prefer them over Fed-EX and UPS in our little corner of the frozen North.
I have had good and bad experiences with all carriers depending on specific good and/or bad local employees.

My problem with the USPS is systemic about their PO Box policy, and refusal to integrate 911 street addresses for box holders into their database. I complained to UPS customer service and they told me to take it up with the USPS. The classic tag somebody else it it, hand off...

USPS website only tells me how to buy (license) the address database, not how to fix it.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

TrevorMilburn

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »

As much as we like to bash on the USPS, it is one of the fastest, most reliable governmental or quasi-governmental delivery services in the world.

I can send a letter across the country for $0.47 and be reasonably confident that it will be there in 2 or 3 days.

I can send it just across the border into Canada, and the recipient MIGHT get it next month.
My wife & I send several hundred large letters/small parcels containing craft items and marked as such to the US every year and have to inform the recipients that expected delivery time is somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks, based on previous experiences. Probably about 10% of these are high value (for us - $50+) and tracked - we can monitor the package locations online and every parcel leaves the UK the majority within 48 hours so I assume the others leave as quickly. So, why do they usually take well over 3 weeks to clear US Customs and reach their delivery point? I know for large or high value packages there can be delays in X-raying/inspecting them at busy times of the year but to wait for so long?
The good thing, however, is that after several years of this sort of activity, we have had only 2 or 3 parcels arrive damaged (all within the US - they don't leave the UK if damaged) or completely lost (usually by the airline carrier).
With UK packages of the same size, we normally drop them off along with our International packages at our local post office before 5pm and expect next day delivery for the vast majority (100% if we pay slightly more for guaranteed next day - before noon - delivery). In the UK with courier deliveries (not usually UPS/Fed-Ex - the small couriers are usually franchised or self employed sub-contractors) we order stuff  before, say, 10pm and it arrives before lunch the next day. Pretty good stuff.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »

Not damage related, but a couple years ago my girlfriends son ordered something fairly expensive (for him) from Amazon, using his own money. Shipped to the house via USPS. Amazon sends tracking information....

But at least the package got here in good condition.

This reminds me of my favorite USPS tracking memes:

USPS Tracking version "A":

1) Package has been received
2) We have no f-ing idea where your package is
3) Package delivered successfully

USPS Tracking version "B":

1) We're not sure if the package exists yet
2) Here you

:D :D :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.