ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Reducing high-hat stick noise in vocal mic  (Read 7727 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Reducing high-hat stick noise in vocal mic
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:03 pm »

Actually Glen's comment made me think of a pedal that I purchased for this application. Some drummers forget its there so it doesn't always work well for me . It is a Rolls MM11and can be adapted to work as on/off or only on when depressed.
You would have to train your drummer to get into the habit of using it, switch it to only on when depressed and there is no need to hit it twice each time.

I just realized....... keeping his foot on the switch won't work for a drummer - LOL.....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:14:56 pm by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:12:36 pm »

Can someone help me with how to create hyperlinks?... I tried with the footswitch comment I just posted but it  didn't work.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:19:23 pm »

Can someone help me with how to create hyperlinks?... I tried with the footswitch comment I just posted but it  didn't work.....

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,156617.0.html
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:34 pm »

Alec...thanks.   Your input got me wanting to review how he positions his mic.  In doing so I realized that every single venue we play at has him right up against a hard wall. HMM.  I had not even considered reflections as a possible problem, but they are almost certainly contributing. I'll experiment in the rehearsal space.......he's stuck against a hard wall there, too.

At practice, throw up a moving blanket on the wall behind him, and see what happens. A hard wall will throw a nasty slap right at the front of that mic....
Chris.
Time to commission a Band Tapestry........
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Reducing high-hat stick noise in vocal mic
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:51 pm »

Take a look at the polar pattern of the beta 58 a. It does not respond anything like a regular 58 with sources that are directly behind it. The null is actually at 120° from the front of the mic on each side, instead of 180°. There’s actually a little “hot spot” at 180°.

If the mic is on his left side, chances are you have the back of it pointing directly at the hi hat.

EDIT: oops, I should’ve read all of the responses! What Alec said.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:17:22 pm »

Take a look at the polar pattern of the beta 58 a. It does not respond anything like a regular 58 with sources that are directly behind it. The null is actually at 120° from the front of the mic on each side, instead of 180°. There’s actually a little “hot spot” at 180°.

If the mic is on his left side, chances are you have the back of it pointing directly at the hi hat.

EDIT: oops, I should’ve read all of the responses! What Alec said.

Looking at the pic it seems the mic is about 80° to the left of the drummer's vox mic but that's still only 5dB down from on axis.

The rear lobe you call at "hot spot" is a definitive characteristic of a super/hyper cardioid.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tom Burgess

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:31 pm »

How heavy is the compression on the mic?  Have you tried it with no compression? 
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Wes Garland

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:35:14 pm »

How heavy is the compression on the mic?  Have you tried it with no compression?

There's probably about 4:1 on that track.  I have it recorded from the head amp so I can try with no compression tonight and see what happens.  I wonder if I should try side-chain triggering the compressor on his vocal channel with "self", centered around 600Hz or so.  I don't have a multiband compressor in the live rig but I could also test that in the DAW and see how much it helps.

I can't wait for the next time I have these guys in the room, this thread has already given me a few physical ideas to try that might help, too.  I have a ton of moving blankets and several mics I'd like to try.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »

I've always muted the drummer's mic when he's not singing and tell him to eat the mic and to try not to sing quietly. Kinda tough when you've never worked with the band but it sounds like you are their BE so you should know when he sings.

Try a regular 58 as the beta seems to have more hi end which will bring out the hat. Aren't the snare and cymbals a problem as well?

I'll second what Tim says. Perfect mic for a drummer and they sound great. But be very careful with them.

We had a drummer that sang for a year who didn't want the Crown mic as he didn't sing much and it wasn't comfortable for him. He wasn't a heavy hitter and his mic was only on when he sang.

This!  The beta 58 is hypercardioid so not the best choice, regular 58 will likely be much better.  There are things like the Shure headset mics, but they are not the Best Sound to intergrate into a mix.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »

I worked a one-off with a drummer who had a mute switch for his vocal microphone next to the hi-hat pedal. He could mute or unmute himself as needed by stomping it, and the tech du jour needn't worry about missing mute cues, etc. He was also the FOH mixer for a well known Nashville artist, so it makes sense that he would have a simple solution to help things sound better.  8)
Yep , the good ole mute switch on the floor next to the hihat pedal. I thought I was the only one that uses one. Dont hit the hihats hard.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.