ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to preview PDF files on a wall mount LED monitor/screen  (Read 5085 times)

Steve Crump

How to preview PDF files on a wall mount LED monitor/screen
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »

Here is what I want to do:
I want to install maybe a 60" or larger LED monitor/screen on the wall in my shop so I can review building plans before we plot.
I thought I would simply buy a monitor, mount it on the wall and use a Apple TV module I already have.
I thought I would simply open the file in Acrobat on my iPad and link to the Apple TV using Airplay and it would be simple.
Will I tried a trial run at home before purchasing a monitor/screen, I couldn't find an option to link from Acrobat to Apple TV. Apps like YouTube are no problem, but I can't figure out how to link from Acrobat.

So what is my best solution?

All the files come to us via email and are downloaded to a network drive for storage. The PC screens we work with are just not large enough to get a good look at a full drawing page. And I am really getting tired of plotting twice as many drawings pages than we need.

This will be installed in a break/meeting area. All the equipment will need to be wall mounted with a wireless touch screen control located at the break area table. I really don't want to install cable from the large display to the table and I need the remote touch surface to be small so when we are not looking at plans it can be easily put away. So the area can go from plan preview, back to break area quickly.

Tom Burgess

Re: How to preview PDF files on a wall mount LED monitor/screen
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

If you have to display your content wirelessly you could mount a WePresent 1600 behind the display and use its compatible apps for screen sharing.

What are you wanting to accomplish with the touch screen controller other than power on / off, volume up / down, and input select?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »

If you have to display your content wirelessly you could mount a WePresent 1600 behind the display and use its compatible apps for screen sharing.

What are you wanting to accomplish with the touch screen controller other than power on / off, volume up / down, and input select?

What kind of touch screen are you going to use?  How will you select the file? 

Windows allows you to connect a wireless projector I wonder if Apple has same option.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »

[/quote]

No sound required.
I guess one of these approaches.
1. Using an iPad type device to open the PDF file and then send the image to the screen just to preview. No type of editing. Just the ability to open, maybe zoom in on the file. Once we preview, the files will be opened and plotted from a different office desktop.

2. I could place a small PC on the same wall as the screen and use the touch screen/pad to control the PC remotely to open the file and preview. This will be used only to open and view, no plotting or editing.

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »

What kind of touch screen are you going to use?  How will you select the file? 

Not really sure about which touch screen/pad. That really is part of the question. Selecting the file is another question.

This is my not my area of expertise and I could probably work out a scenario to get by, but I usually find out when I do that I have a substandard system and spent to much $ or for a little more $ I could have had a more capable system.

Scenario: Using a touch screen type device iPad/Android (doesn't really matter which to me); simply access a drive on our office network, open the file for preview, have the file displayed on a large wall mounted screen for us to view. Just don't want to routinely have to deal with a mouse and keyboard, (other than maybe periodic maintenance). Want to be able to control all with a small touch surface.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:17:36 PM by Steve Crump »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »

Use a PC to drive your screen.

If possible, get a 4K TV - that is MUCH more usable for what you're trying to do than 1080P.  Otherwise it's just a bigger version of a low-res (at 60" anyway) PC monitor.

veditor78

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:37 PM »

Use your AppleTV and use the Mirror function on the iPad to show your iPad screen on the TV. It should work for what you want.

Here's and Apple Support page on how to do this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

I recently installed a WePresent 1600 and the only advantage over an AppleTV is you can have multiple devices connected at one time. For the cost of it I wouldn't recommend it for your purpose.
Josh Rawls

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »

If possible, get a 4K TV - that is MUCH more usable for what you're trying to do than 1080P.  Otherwise it's just a bigger version of a low-res (at 60" anyway) PC monitor.
This.  Just a basic computer with the appropriate out to the TV.  At home I use a couple of wireless keyboards with a touch pad as TV remotes.  Logitech k400
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

One of the guys at the shop is going to Best Buy in the next town over to pick up a 70" TV while they are on sale.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:13:30 PM by Steve Crump »

Steve Crump

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »

Use your AppleTV and use the Mirror function on the iPad to show your iPad screen on the TV. It should work for what you want.

Here's and Apple Support page on how to do this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

I recently installed a WePresent 1600 and the only advantage over an AppleTV is you can have multiple devices connected at one time. For the cost of it I wouldn't recommend it for your purpose.

Tried this and it worked great. I do have another question, will an iPad mirror to a smart TV without the Apple TV interface?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »

You can look into AirServer - it’s a program that is hosted on a computer that you AirPlay the iPad to and mirror the display of the computer onto the monitor.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.