ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?  (Read 10512 times)

Casey Sharp

Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »

I just bought a small system and am looking for the best means of transport for my subs.  I bought 2 SRX835P and 2 SRX828SP and am looking to double up in the near future.  I just bought a road case for the 835s and am looking into options for the 828s.  I don't think a road case is very practical for these.  I could go with just the custom covers from JBL and throw casters on them, but I won't be able to stack them in the trailer and when I double up on them it will take up a lot of space, as I do not want to stack gear on them, especially grill side up.

In your opinion what is the best way?  I'm looking for something that will obviously protect my gear, but also stand the test of the road itself.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

I just bought a small system and am looking for the best means of transport for my subs.  I bought 2 SRX835P and 2 SRX828SP and am looking to double up in the near future.  I just bought a road case for the 835s and am looking into options for the 828s.  I don't think a road case is very practical for these.  I could go with just the custom covers from JBL and throw casters on them, but I won't be able to stack them in the trailer and when I double up on them it will take up a lot of space, as I do not want to stack gear on them, especially grill side up.

In your opinion what is the best way?  I'm looking for something that will obviously protect my gear, but also stand the test of the road itself.

Please read the rules, fix your display name (to your real full name), and the Lab Lounge would be a more appropriate place to start.

No worries, you're new. We just can't help until you do.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »

You do the covers.  Then stand subs up first in the front of the truck/trailer grills facing forward, wheels facing back so it's a simple tip&roll for unloading -should be able to go 4-wide.  You can then stack small lift-able stuff on top of them.
-If your mains were also in covers you could put them on top of the subs.
This method survives touring and is normal.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »

Or use mover blankets and tie them in. I have bags for 4 kw-181’s and bunch of k series tops.  Mostly I use them but the subs get lashed down in a row, the tops in bags get 2 way lashed down on the subs.  I’m beginning the think about not using the sub bags at all.  Just a piece of carpet, on their sides, face forward and blanket over the faces and rears.  I run a strap just under the top set of wheels...

4 covers is like 3” of space and the covers have to come off, go on.  When it’s dusty, they need to get cleaned - Damn I sound like a whiner ;-)

So I’m thinking the carpet on the floor and blanket might be faster, cleaner and slightly less space.

I could be overthinking this...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »

There are no grill boards for these so you can transport grill up and stack light stuff on them?  That’s too bad.  Guess I’m too used to d&b, but that is a different class of box.  Still though, would have been super easy for JBL to do.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »

I don't like casters affixed to anything but cases or dolly boards and I like dolly boards for speakers.  For most 3 way PA speakers or subs cases are big, heavy and a waste of space/money.

Build dolly boards with the same footprint you want in the truck or trailer - the 828 are roughly 48" x 22.5" x 27" deep.  How wide is your truck or trailer?  We use cube vans and bobtail trucks where the body has ~92" width inside.  For the 828 we'd probably build a dolly board (or with a lip around the edge, a very shallow tray) 45" x 27" and put 2 subs standing on end.  The resulting package would be about 54" high and give you a flat and sturdy surface to stack on if needed.  All 4 subs would fit across the width of the truck body.  I'd build dolly trays for the 835 as well, 45" but put blocking on the outside ends (speakers face to face) and build a cap for the top (to allow stacking of small stuff and to keep it stable in the truck pack).  Four 835 would fit across the width.

Allowing for a bit of design variation the depth of the truck pack is about 4.5 feet.  That's a whole lotta PA in a pretty small space.

If you're using a narrower trailer or regular van things get more interesting but the idea is the same - make your dolly boards to fit the pack.  Note this may involve some "Roadie Tetris".

As to not stacking on the 828... If you go with casters on the back, cut a piece of 1/4" or 3/8 plywood to fit, adhere a textile finish to both sides and place it over the grille before covering.  You can now stack moderate weight stuff, or stuff that spreads the weight over area.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »

Having experience with this exact setup, the srx835 in a road case is not a one man job.. The case itself is tall and wide which requires two guys to lift the lid. Maybe the case you are looking at is different.

I’ve found the way to move these is to lay the 835 on top of the 828. Use the 828 as transportation.  It take up about as much floor space as Standing the subs on end and putting a big road case behind them.

You could also add casters and stack the subs grill to grill. There is hard plastic in the cover that protects the grill.  No worries.

My 835 reside on top of my 828 and it’s efficient and quick.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:44:35 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:08 PM »

I just bought a small system...

I just bought a road case...

Generally these are questions you should ask before you make the purchases!  So long as you’re a mobile operator with less than unlimited transportation logistics, the ability to move the rig within your means is just as important as what the rig is to begin with, at least in my opinion.  That said, I too vote for soft covers and dolly boards, ideally building your dolly boards per Tim’s instructions for proper packing if possible. 

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »

I could go with just the custom covers from JBL and throw casters on them, but I won't be able to stack them in the trailer and when I double up on them it will take up a lot of space, as I do not want to stack gear on them, especially grill side up.
I have the JBL covers for the 818 and the 812 and they both have a built-in plastic insert that covers the grille, offering a fair amount of protection above what a regular soft cover would provide. I don't know if the 828 covers have that feature, but I can't imagine it doesn't.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »

Soft covers, dolly boards, and 2" ratchet straps are what I use. The dolly boards I'm using for my prx618 subs are ordinary furniture dollys, but they have just enough length to protect the grille.  I'll build better ones some day, but these work plenty well for now.

Edit:  I am very much a Lounge-level provider, so take my input with several grains of salt.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:46:24 AM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.