ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocals only rig?  (Read 2465 times)

Dave Potter

Vocals only rig?
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »

Hey, Its been so long since I was here.  Basically since I stopped playing bass in 5 piece bands and started playing samba percussion instead.  Different world, different requirements. In the group I'm with, if they play events or stage shows its always at someone else's event so they don't need a live SR rig. 

They do use a pair of Mackie SA1521s (active 500W) for rehearsal.  I've dragged one home because its stone cold dead.  Even if it turns out to be a fuse issue. I still wouldn't trust it for long.  Fuses blow for a reason.  So I'm thinking about suggesting replacing them.

Samba is musically different than most other music.  There is no bass, very occasionally a guitar but more usually a Cavaquinho - a shrill ukulele.  All the rest is drums (not through the system) and vocals.

Would I be right in thinking that something active with a 2 X 12" would be just as suitable in that role?  They have the budget of a rat.  What is good and used?

Rick Powell

Re: Vocals only rig?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »

I don’t know of any powered 2-12 and horn that can be had for a “rat’s budget”. If you are willing to pay $800 per cabinet there are some nice choices with a single 12, less than $500 the choices and quality are naturally more limited. Could you give us an idea?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:11 PM »

What size (shape) venues are you playing?

I regularly do acoustic guitar and vocals PA in a 75' x 40' bar with a pair of Turbosound iQ8s. They sound great IMO, are 32 pounds, have all the DSP you need, have auto feedback elimination which is nice if you set them up behind the group, and get surprisingly loud for a sub $500 box.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

Samba is musically different than most other music.  There is no bass, very occasionally a guitar but more usually a Cavaquinho - a shrill ukulele.  All the rest is drums (not through the system) and vocals.

Would I be right in thinking that something active with a 2 X 12" would be just as suitable in that role?  They have the budget of a rat.  What is good and used?
From what you describe, I would not look at a 2x12", but rather a single 12" and horn. As a general rule you will get better clarity (due to the interference of the 12s).  The biggest thing a 2x12 would give you is more bass, which you say you don't need
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.