ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to make my own antenna clamps.  (Read 6501 times)

Rick Earl

Re: Trying to make my own antenna clamps.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »

I have quite a few wrap around clamps. The problem i'm finding is getting a 5/8" fine thread screw to go through the clamp into the antenna. Do any of you know of something that works?

I've modified some clamps by drilling and tapping my own:
These folks have good prices. http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-5/8-27.html If you look at the tap specs, they will tell you needed drill size.
I also have a 5/8-27 die and will cut threads into round stock to make adapters as needed.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »

How are you with a drill press and thread tap?

This is just an old lighting clamp, with some threaded 3/8"-16 rod and one of those adapters that came with a mic.

In that photo of the C-clamp I'm pretty sure the other side has a square head set screw to keep the shaft from rotating. I would try putting the center tube from a mic stand, whether a desk stand, banquet stand or full size stand, into the clamp and tighten the set screw.

Or buy or rent the Magic Arm.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:55 PM »

In that photo of the C-clamp I'm pretty sure the other side has a square head set screw to keep the shaft from rotating. I would try putting the center tube from a mic stand, whether a desk stand, banquet stand or full size stand, into the clamp and tighten the set screw.

The square bolt is there, but the hole in the clamp is about 1/32" too small to fit a standard diameter mic stand.  :(

But maybe it would be possible to bodge something up with a long 3/8" bolt, a stack of washers, etc.

EDIT: Or a few minutes with a round file.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:46:19 PM by Scott Helmke »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »

The square bolt is there, but the hole in the clamp is about 1/32" too small to fit a standard diameter mic stand.  :(

But maybe it would be possible to bodge something up with a long 3/8" bolt, a stack of washers, etc.

I don't have clamp or a stand tube to check, but your picture shows the shaft clearly bigger than the mic stand thread. The thread on a mic stand is cut into the tube, so the tube should fit in the hole. What am I missing?

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »

I don't have clamp or a stand tube to check, but your picture shows the shaft clearly bigger than the mic stand thread. The thread on a mic stand is cut into the tube, so the tube should fit in the hole. What am I missing:

I'm being fussy about sizes. The desk stand tubing, ie the stuff that can be directly threaded 5/8"-27, is significantly smaller than the hole. So I wouldn't be especially confident in that fit, though I guess it could be done. But the larger tube size is just *so* close and heavier duty, and you can buy an adjustable height desk stand (Atlas DMS-7) with that tube.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »

I'm being fussy about sizes. The desk stand tubing, ie the stuff that can be directly threaded 5/8"-27, is significantly smaller than the hole. So I wouldn't be especially confident in that fit, though I guess it could be done. But the larger tube size is just *so* close and heavier duty, and you can buy an adjustable height desk stand (Atlas DMS-7) with that tube.

Sounds like a job for a tapered adjustable reamer, especially if you need to make several. If you go the reamer route, use a proper tap handle and tapping fluid. You will be able to make as close or as loose a fit as you want.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »

I

Tale a short length of 3/8" (rod or cut off bolt) and JB weld it into the 1/2 " hole on the clamp shaft.
Use the mic clip adapter that comes with microphones.
Done!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »

ITale a short length of 3/8" (rod or cut off bolt) and JB weld it into the 1/2 " hole on the clamp shaft.
Use the mic clip adapter that comes with microphones.
Done!

The one in the photo is where I just drilled through that shaft and tapped it for 3/8".

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »

The one in the photo is where I just drilled through that shaft and tapped it for 3/8".
Missed that!
 Need new glasses... ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »

Am I missing something here or couldn't you just mount a piece of uni-strut with a couple stainless hose clamps and bolt your antenna into that?

Would something like this work?

Done that as well. Sadly this is going up for a six month install around a 1 1/2" pipe. It's covered, but will still be outside. . .

EDIT: Just noticed the dates on this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:42:04 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.