ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: com over phone  (Read 16269 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: com over phone
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »

Drill a hole in the side of a Switchcraft S3FM for the wire entrance and have a handy adapter.

Mac

And as usual Mac out clevers me....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

TomBoisseau

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »

And as usual Mac out clevers me....  :)

Well... yes, but I believe Mac meant to specify a Switchcraft S4FM so that it will mate with the 4p XLR on the beltpack.

Tom

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: S3FM or not
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:27 PM »

Well... yes, but I believe Mac meant to specify a Switchcraft S4FM so that it will mate with the 4p XLR on the beltpack.

Tom

Hmmm... I can find them listed on the Interwebs from a variety of sources, but i am positive back when I was building things like that there was only a 3 pin version. You needed to combine it with a couple of Switchcraft A4M and A4F connectors to get the right inserts. On Switchcraft's own site there is no S4FM, only S3FM and a new item, male to female 3 pin to 5 pin barrels for DMX.

they are a great part for building adapters as they take a male XLR insert in one end and a female in the other. Mount a 3 way banana plug on the side and you can send or receive from bare twisted pair. These used to be standard items on Unitel production trucks, built by Tweeter.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »

The reason might be that it doesn't answer the original question of wanting to use the handset connection.
There is a reason I asked the question with this specific parameter. ;)

You mean unplug the cord from the traditional desk phone handset?

GENTNER MICRO_TEL.

Discontinued but show up on Fleabay.  I use my pair for sending fireworks time code over POTS, has the added advantage that I can use a mic to talk to the firing operator who can monitor over headphones, prior to rolling the show.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »

You mean unplug the cord from the traditional desk phone handset?

GENTNER MICRO_TEL.

Discontinued but show up on Fleabay.  I use my pair for sending fireworks time code over POTS, has the added advantage that I can use a mic to talk to the firing operator who can monitor over headphones, prior to rolling the show.

The MicroTel is essentially the same thing as the JK Audio That-2 that started this thread. It is a telephone handset 4W interface with level controls. To really interface well with a comm system it still needs a 4W-2W interface. As has been pointed out this can be done on the cheap with a comm pack and an XLR4 to input and output connectors, but it will be much easier to get a good null with a hybrid interface rather than the comm pack.

As has been pointed out hybrids are expensive, particularly the really good ones like Studio Technologies, but they are also readily available for rent and are small and can be shipped via FedEx if you don't need them all the time.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »

The MicroTel is essentially the same thing as the JK Audio That-2 that started this thread. It is a telephone handset 4W interface with level controls. To really interface well with a comm system it still needs a 4W-2W interface. As has been pointed out this can be done on the cheap with a comm pack and an XLR4 to input and output connectors, but it will be much easier to get a good null with a hybrid interface rather than the comm pack.

As has been pointed out hybrids are expensive, particularly the really good ones like Studio Technologies, but they are also readily available for rent and are small and can be shipped via FedEx if you don't need them all the time.

Mac
I had forgotten about "null" but it should be OK if the side tone of the beltpack was turned down.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »

I had forgotten about "null" but it should be OK if the side tone of the beltpack was turned down.

Yeah, the null that i think is going to give you more fits is the one on Telephone Handset side since phones are designed to have a pretty high amount of sidetone and i've yet to find a phone that allowed you to adjust that or turn it off.  This is going to have the effect of everyone on the intercom channel hearing a good bit more of themselves back via that phone connection.  It also may come back sounding more 'telephone-y' which will make it more noticeable.

Not saying any of this to discourage the project.  I'm genuinely curious to see how workable it turns out to be in the real world.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:55 PM »

Yeah, the null that i think is going to give you more fits is the one on Telephone Handset side since phones are designed to have a pretty high amount of sidetone and i've yet to find a phone that allowed you to adjust that or turn it off.  This is going to have the effect of everyone on the intercom channel hearing a good bit more of themselves back via that phone connection.  It also may come back sounding more 'telephone-y' which will make it more noticeable.

Not saying any of this to discourage the project.  I'm genuinely curious to see how workable it turns out to be in the real world.

That is why cell phones work so well, there is usually no attempt by a cell hardware for sidetone.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »

That is why cell phones work so well, there is usually no attempt by a cell hardware for sidetone.
Well, that's a good reason to maybe pass on the desk phone and just use a cell. :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Hancock

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »

http://www.clearcom.com/product/icon-solutions/lq-series

Could be an option ... the agent Iq app is pretty slick.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.