ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does it exist? 1U Rack mixer w/stereo panning adjustm and RS232 (PC) control.  (Read 5952 times)

Geir Eivind Mork

I need a mixer, pref. 1U in size. I presume this is going to be equipment that is at least 10-20 years old given that anything with PC controls now uses USB. But unless I can control it using my own software without writing my own USB controller, I prefer the old way using Rs232. I got a dedicated computer controlling my video switches already, they all control using RS232.

I need to control it from the PC (using software I develop myself)

I need to be able to adjust the stereo separation / stereo panning since the sources has the stereo image completely separated and I like to adjust the mixing in those cases that is needed.. I'd prefer to do this through the rs232 (pc) controls but if manual way is the only way I'll live with that.

I need at least 4 stereo inputs and 1 stereo output, more is always better as long as it is within 1U. Of course, if there is a 2U model that does this I'll live with having to rearrange my setup.
I'd like if the inputs were (balanced) terminal block / phoneix connectors, but I'd live with other ways. I do only need line level, but if it supports mics that's neat.

The output will be to an unbalanced amplifier.

I've found units that has balance controls but no rs232 control, and units with rs232 but no balance controls. So I'm trying in a related forum to see if anyone have experience with it?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:58:06 AM by moijk »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

An interesting question that might get answered if you use your real name as per the forum rules.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »

I need a mixer, pref. 1U in size.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Geir Eivind Mork

I need a mixer, pref. 1U in size. I presume this is going to be equipment that is at least 10-20 years old given that anything with PC controls now uses USB. But unless I can control it using my own software without writing my own USB controller, I prefer the old way using Rs232. I got a dedicated computer controlling my video switches already, they all control using RS232.
(Sorry, the other post was without a proper real name for user name)

I need to control it from the PC (using software I develop myself)

I need to be able to adjust the stereo separation / stereo panning since the sources has the stereo image completely separated and I like to adjust the mixing in those cases that is needed.. I'd prefer to do this through the rs232 (pc) controls but if manual way is the only way I'll live with that.

I need at least 4 stereo inputs and 1 stereo output, more is always better as long as it is within 1U. Of course, if there is a 2U model that does this I'll live with having to rearrange my setup.
I'd like if the inputs were (balanced) terminal block / phoneix connectors, but I'd live with other ways. I do only need line level, but if it supports mics that's neat.

The output will be to an unbalanced amplifier.

I've found units that has balance controls but no rs232 control, and units with rs232 but no balance controls. So I'm trying in a related forum to see if anyone have experience with it?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Look at DBX Zone Pro and Bi Amp Nexia units. They are single space, RS232 controllable, available with different input  output combinations and fully programmable.

Geir Eivind Mork

Look at DBX Zone Pro and Bi Amp Nexia units. They are single space, RS232 controllable, available with different input  output combinations and fully programmable.

Thanks, those weren't models I've noticed so far. The Nexia CS series seems particularly interesting.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio

Thanks, those weren't models I've noticed so far. The Nexia CS series seems particularly interesting.

Both are good pieces, the DBX is not quite as customizable as the Bi Amp Nexias. With the Nexia you can layout just about any configuration you can think of.... till the DSP runs out of processing power, it tells you how much you have available.
The Nexia's cost a fair amount more than the DBX.

Geir Eivind Mork

Both are good pieces, the DBX is not quite as customizable as the Bi Amp Nexias. With the Nexia you can layout just about any configuration you can think of.... till the DSP runs out of processing power, it tells you how much you have available.
The Nexia's cost a fair amount more than the DBX.

Have been looking at it just so I know it does exactly what I want, and haven't found anything 100% yet. Only panning.

The closest device I've found on my own was the Intelix M-series which unfortunately is a 2U unit which I hope to avoid. that has this (from the rs232-manual) exactly what i want:

Audio Input Width
When an audio source is stereo, then the pan control on the audio source screen acts as a width control.
This control has a similar appearance to the mono panning control, but its preset buttons are stereo, mono
and reverse stereo, reflecting the function of a width control on a stereo input pair.The range of slider values
from 1-127 correspond to the RS-232 parameter values described in the RS-232 section below.

But how do I do it on the nexia cs?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:03:39 AM by Geir Eivind Mork »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio

Without looking at the control software I'm going to say that any panning/balance control would have to be from using two separate level controls, one for left and the other for right and controlling the panning or balance between the levels of the two controls.
I'm not sure the Intelix unit is still a current model.

Does your "mixing" have to be continuously variable in real time or could preset scenes to recall work.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD

Without looking at the control software I'm going to say that any panning/balance control would have to be from using two separate level controls, one for left and the other for right and controlling the panning or balance between the levels of the two controls.
I'm not sure the Intelix unit is still a current model.

Does your "mixing" have to be continuously variable in real time or could preset scenes to recall work.
Analog approach but the whirlwind mix 6  is panable on the 4 mic inputs and 1u

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.