ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammond B3 - Would you?  (Read 7010 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Hammond B3 - Would you?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 01:38:34 AM »

A little trivia. One of the most famous songs played on a Hammond organ did not actually use a leslie. Do you know what the song is?

Boston's Smokin'
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 01:58:13 AM »

Boston's Smokin'

Nope, try again.

Smokin' is reportedly played on a leslie 147.

The song I'm talking about is a bit older, and is by a famous organist. It's a song everybody has heard.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:55 AM »

A little trivia. One of the most famous songs played on a Hammond organ did not actually use a leslie.
And Laurens Hammond hated them and wouldn't allow them to be sold with his organs.

My favourite part of a Hammond organ is the rotary chorus.  Unlike a guitar effect which adds to the sound when switched on and diminishes it when turned off, the rotary chorus adds something when engaged and seems to add even more when you switch it off!

A little trivia. One of the most famous songs played on a Hammond organ did not actually use a leslie. Do you know what the song is?
My guesses would be either A Whiter Shade of Pale or Green Onions.

Or anything by Deep Purple as Jon Lord didn't use a Leslie.  He took the organ signal and treated it like a guitar with overdrive.

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:18:10 AM by Steve M Smith »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:50 AM »

House of the rising sun or I put a spell on you?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »

And Laurens Hammond hated them and wouldn't allow them to be sold with his organs.

My favourite part of a Hammond organ is the rotary chorus.  Unlike a guitar effect which adds to the sound when switched on and diminishes it when turned off, the rotary chorus adds something when engaged and seems to add even more when you switch it off!
My guesses would be either A Whiter Shade of Pale or Green Onions.

Or anything by Deep Purple as Jon Lord didn't use a Leslie.  He took the organ signal and treated it like a guitar with overdrive.

Steve.

Steve wins with Green Onions!

Stax records owned a Hammond M3 spinet organ when Booker T recorded Green Onions. A little while later they sold the M3 and bought a B3 with a Leslie, but by that time Green Onions was already a hit.

It was also originally a B-side on a “Volt records” release which was a subsidiary of Stax Records. When DJ’s across the country started playing it, Stax rereleased it as a single.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »

How old is the B3? If you do wind up getting one, also get a Leslie 147 and a nearby Hammond tech to service it.

Now if you want to save a lot of money, look at a C3 or A100 model. Same organ, different cabinet. I'm on my second C series Hammond. The B's are just too expensive.

Chris O’Neal

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m thinking, based on your thoughts that we will go ahead and purchase it and try to iso it as much as possible. Thanks all!

How old is the B3? If you do wind up getting one, also get a Leslie 147 and a nearby Hammond tech to service it.

Now if you want to save a lot of money, look at a C3 or A100 model. Same organ, different cabinet. I'm on my second C series Hammond. The B's are just too expensive.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m thinking, based on your thoughts that we will go ahead and purchase it and try to iso it as much as possible. Thanks all!

Chris, the B3 is a great piece and worth every penny as long as it is in good shape.  I just purchased a B3 with Leslie 147 from a country artists recording studio.  We got a great deal on the package.  Anyway, enjoy.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.