Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM  (Read 5113 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: IEM
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

Hi Joe,

We work with a band that has a pretty simple system that works really well for them and didn't require a ton of investment. Very similar to what others have recommended here, and for good reason - it's simple, flexible, and easy to set-up/run.

- 1x 8U deep case - something like an EWI shock-mount case
- 1x Behringer XR18 AIR digital mixer
- 1x Furman power supply (rack mount)
- 1x Seismic Rack Mountable 16-channel splitter snake with 5' and 30' tails
- 1x Apple Airport Express (router)
- 4x Behringer P1 IEM monitor box
- 4x Short XLRM to XLRF cables

They have the splitter snake panel at the bottom of the rack, and the Furman and XR18 are at the top. The Airport is mounted inside of the case with a small bracket. They also put-in a work drawer to hold their IEM receivers (they use wireless)...

The band uses their tablets to connect to the Apple Airport Express and they each run an instance of the XR application. They can then control their own mixes (Drummer = Aux 1, Singer = Aux 2, Guitar A = Aux 3, Guitar B = Aux 4, Keys = Aux 5, Bass = Aux 6, etc).

It's a relatively low cost of entry with this set-up, and should you at some point decide to go wireless with your IEM, you'll have room in the rack to mount a few transmitters.

For the total investment (around $1k if you shop around and buy smart), you'd be hard-pressed to beat this set-up. It's not world-class, but will likely work well for you.

I should also add... you probably don't want the IEM box on your pedal board, because you'd need a really long headphone cable, and that's more likely to get tangled/stepped-on/pulled-out/etc than a positive-locking XLR. I'd hang the IEM box on my belt and run the XLR output from the XR18 to the P1.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

One thing to look at is a Roll 351 Personal monitor.  This can be attached at the pedal board and allows the artist to dial in the vocal and instrument for the more me.  It also has a stereo input for the monitor signal.  The pass through of the mic and insturment is like the DI and is not impacted by the volume changes on the more me.   

I run a X32 Rack on stage with a S16 behind the drummer.  I have a short 30 ft 6 channel with 2 returns snake for the front of stage. 

The S16 is in a 4u rack with a behringer Ha4700 headphone amp that I can put Drummer and Keys on wired 20 ft 16 Gauge XLR cables.  There is a 1U rack pannel with 4 XLR connectors to TRS into the back of the headphone amp.  1/4 cables cannot be pulled out with the movement on stage.  The drummer and the Keys have Behringer PM1 or Elite Core body packs to connect XLR and headphones.  The 4700 headphone amp has bass and treble adjustments for each headset.  I used an insert cable and replaced the two TS connecters with XLR unbalanced pins1 and 3 joined and pin 2 hot.  Plugging the 1/4 TRS into the aux in on the front of the 4700.  Leaving the TRS headphone out for me to tap in and listen as needed.   When mixing with the Ipad, I cannot tap in at the stage so I pickup wireless IEM  (Galaxy Audio ,  fixed and yes cheap).   connected to an external passive paddle yagi antenna on a stand up in the air and away from the mixer and the wifi, This allowed me to use the talk back and monitor and hear all the channel strips and the monitors out.  Still out in FOH and working the sound.  Add in a wireless headset mic for the talk back and your rolling. 

Casey Sharp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »

There are several routes you can take and which one you choose all depends upon your budget, and knowledge of audio and wireless systems. And if you are headlining this is a plus as you will have priority over other performances to make your system work. 

The easiest and cheapest option would be to buy something like the Behringer P1 Powerplay, as mentioned by others, and run a stereo signal out of the monitor desk (or wherever the returns are from FOH) and plug directly into your unit. If you go this route I would recommend buying (2) 75-100ft xlr per mix and creating your own snake/loom. You'll be the audio guys best friend if you do this... trust me :)
     - Pros: Easy to set up. Can easily be done for less than $100 per stereo mix.
     - Cons: Audio guy may or may not want to unpatch things to make your system work (if you don't have an input list/Rider you need one). You are bound to the length of your headphone cable.

Another option would be to buy your own wireless system, portable console, and split snake.  All inputs would be patched into your split and one feed will go to the house crew and the other into your console.  You then control via smartphone or tablet each mix which are then sent through the outputs of your console to your wireless system.
     - Pros: No wires on stage. Nearly everything can be prewired in a rack.  You can control your own mix. You are not bound to the length of a headphone cord.
     - Cons: Can easily spend $2000 per stereo mix once all is said and done. Have to deal with wireless coordination. 

These are two opposite sides of the spectrum. You can create hybrid options as well.  For example, you could buy only a wireless system and have the house guy patch you in and he run your monitors.  Or bring along your own audio guy.  Like I said, there are lot's of possibilities, but unless we know your budget it's hard to fine tune a solution.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:23:05 PM by caseyleesharp »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.