ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?  (Read 25807 times)

Ron Ventour

Re: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »

I'm also considering SRX835p for outdoor gigs.

I suggest you check with Mike Pyle on SM80 pricing. It's way closer than I thought it would be to an SRX rig.  They would be so much easier to deploy, and by most accounts are in another league sonically.

I have yet to hear them however.

I've run the SRX835p both 1 and 2 per side, and I think they sound amazing. Definitely bigger sounding than the 812s IMO.

And then there's the JTR Noesis 3TX...

I sold my SRX835's for the JTR Noesis 3TX last year and i can tell you yes the JTR is in another league...Loved the SRX835p sound and sexy looks but for outdoor use for Reggae and Soca music i felt i needed more
When i first received the 3tx noesis i was shocked and amazed at how small it was...side by side against the srx835 i said to myself no way in hell it could put out more output than the srx835 and boy was i wrong...the jtr noesis is lighter in weight and sonically superior to the srx 835

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »

How many times to we read about  the incredibly loud box with the peak output of 139-142db?? Another meaningless and CALCULATED number.

They do actually measure those numbers. Send an burst signal to the speakers and push the fader until the reading won't go up any more. Doesn't matter if the LF driver was limiting 10dB ago, they'll carry on. If you were to replace the test signal with anything else, the speakers would likely burn up very quickly as the test relies on a very short signal that won't give the drivers any thermal stress.
If you ask me, they might as well be dropping the speakers off buildings and seeing how loud it is when they hit the ground. The data is about as useful.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

They do actually measure those numbers. Send an burst signal to the speakers and push the fader until the reading won't go up any more. Doesn't matter if the LF driver was limiting 10dB ago, they'll carry on. If you were to replace the test signal with anything else, the speakers would likely burn up very quickly as the test relies on a very short signal that won't give the drivers any thermal stress.
If you ask me, they might as well be dropping the speakers off buildings and seeing how loud it is when they hit the ground. The data is about as useful.

Chris

For those of us who've been around since mid-last century...  there were all kinds of finger pointing "liars" back when home HiFi/stereo was a huge business.  The "Institute of High Fidelity" had their standards for distortion, power and bandwidth measurements, IEC had another, there were others (Peak Power, burst, etc) and finally the US Federal Trade Commission weighed in with some regulations regarding power output but that was it.

As Ivan says, the great thing about standards is having so many to choose from.

From a manufacturer's POV consumers are largely stupid, the vast majority of them making decisions based on easily promoted distinctions that appeal to the 'more, louder, bigger' based emotions.  This human condition of wanting simple & obvious distinctions gave way to reliance on single-number specs and/or use of criteria that are, at the end of the wire, not terribly important.  So long as the number is bigger or perhaps smaller than the competition, it's fair game.

It would make me happy to see specifications, even single numbers, from multiple measurement criteria - real RMS output like Crown used to brag about; burst power, bandwidth-limited output, power at a target distortion, etc.  Won't happen, as it makes it easier for competitors to target each other.  Same applies for loudspeakers.

Because we get feed marketing specs that are based in maybe 20% reality it's more important than ever to audition gear before committing to large purchases.  The cost of a trip to see, hear and touch a prospective system or item can be worth it, either to confirm the choice or especially to find out you'd have regretted buying that system or item.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.