ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?  (Read 25805 times)

Steve Garris

Re: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »

7 years ago we tried to use Passive VP boxes for an install, even tried to get JBL to custom shop them for us.  With plenty of time on the build schedule we were told no dice from JBL. We ended up using AM series back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The JBL AM series is what the house system is at my house gig. I've had my SRX815p in there for an A-B comparison, and the SRX sounds better. It could be the house amps or processor though.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »

You done good, Debbie, and we knew you would.  Seriously.

Would 835s have made any difference?  Other than the stripper pole lady having less pole?

In the eyes and ears of the person signing the cheque?  The quick answer is "maybe".  Do they have a preference for form factor?  Does the 815/812 on stands/poles in subs look better or might they like the taller 835 on top of the subs?  Would they think of the sonic difference as something worth paying more for?

Regardless, are they able to steer more work your way?  If you spend $3000 on new speakers (plus covers, dollies/casters/levitation wizard) will it generate $9,000 in new/increased billing the first year?

You'd have a potent rig - 835 for mains, 812 for front/off stage l-r fills, wedges and subs.  Oh, and lights.  You could do a small community festival, a main stage and a kids stage or "b" stage.  How much time and effort do you want to devote to being a sound company instead of primarily supporting Chris's band?

Well yes- the stripper pole thing wouldn't have happened so that is a plus I suppose.... but it is a tough sell really at that price along with - as you say- covers, dollies and then the cost to safely position over subs.
If Chris wasn't mainly a musician (after his day job that pays the bills ) then we would have done well I think in SF - both extremely hard working and motivated -  me being such a geek- him being my rock etc etc etc....but I am really just support (with some added stuff thrown in) for the bands Chris is in and we do the odd show for venues and bands once in a  while.  So with that said, it is not cost effective or even sensible to spend the money on the SRX835's - at least new ones. Maybe if I come across a used deal at some point that is too good to turn down....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »

Debbie you were one of the reasons I took the plunge and bought a pair of DSR12’s and now have 4 of them. Last night once again proved it was a great choice. I did hear the 835p last summer outdoors.  I must say the mix was great and the 835 one per side sounded fantastic. Venue holds about 500 or so at a local amusement park. That said I have no problem running my DSR 12’s in that type of setting. Now what I don’t know is how much more horsepower the 835 would have in a 1000 seats for instance. This may not help either way in your choice but they sounded great to my ear. On a side note the I got some chat time with the sound provider as the drummer for the band could not be found. He apparently fell asleep in the hotel and never showed for the start time. A guy sitting in audience offered to go up and drum for the band and they were about to take the offer and their drummer shows up. Pushed the start 20 min.

Good to hear about the DSR's - they are STILL my primary go to speakers in most of the places we play.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rick Powell

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »

The more more more syndrome. With a Danley SM80/TH118 rig, sometimes I wish we had a little extra for an outdoors show with 500+ people in the audience. But our rig will still cover every show we ask it to do. For the few times we do big outdoor shows with our own system, renting extra matching gear would be cost-prohibitive with what we get paid. In your case I would think the 835 would be more of a sideways move, maybe a little improvement but not noticeable for the hassle of lugging that big unit around.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »

You done good, Debbie, and we knew you would.  Seriously.

Would 835s have made any difference?  Other than the stripper pole lady having less pole?

In the eyes and ears of the person signing the cheque?  The quick answer is "maybe".  Do they have a preference for form factor?  Does the 815/812 on stands/poles in subs look better or might they like the taller 835 on top of the subs?  Would they think of the sonic difference as something worth paying more for?

Regardless, are they able to steer more work your way?  If you spend $3000 on new speakers (plus covers, dollies/casters/levitation wizard) will it generate $9,000 in new/increased billing the first year?

You'd have a potent rig - 835 for mains, 812 for front/off stage l-r fills, wedges and subs.  Oh, and lights.  You could do a small community festival, a main stage and a kids stage or "b" stage.  How much time and effort do you want to devote to being a sound company instead of primarily supporting Chris's band?

The 835 is true 3 way full range beast very, very similar to the now discontinued VP version of the same box. When I first heard them in a live environment with 828 subs under them I was shocked. So much so I initially envisioned VP series and expected to see just that. Having been an SRX owner for many years I've grown very fond of the 725s I own and not once have I regretted my purchase, except........ when I heard the 835's and found out what the street price for them was. By this time my system is built and proven, so when combined with my age and dwindling use I couldn't justify the purchase of 6 835's needed to replace the 725's I own.

However, looking at the current street price, and due to this conversation I now having an acute GAS attack. Great low price, great speaker, great sound, suspension points, pole cup, and 137db. Oh, and Debbie, you can put them right on top of your subs, which is what I've been doing for years with the 725's. No pole needed, and even this old guy can do the job by myself whenever I need to.

Go get em' girl.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:49:55 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »

The 835 is true 3 way full range beast very, very similar to the now discontinued VP version of the same box. When I first heard them in a live environment with 828 subs under them I was shocked. So much so I initially envisioned VP series and expected to see just that. Having been an SRX owner for many years I've grown very fond of the 725s I own and not once have I regretted my purchase, except........ when I heard the 835's and found out what the street price for them was. By this time my system is built and proven, so when combined with my age and dwindling use I couldn't justify the purchase of 6 835's needed to replace the 725's I own.

However, looking at the current street price, and due to this conversation I now having an acute GAS attack. Great low price, great speaker, great sound, suspension points, pole cup, and 137db. Oh, and Debbie, you can put them right on top of your subs, which is what I've been doing for years with the 725's. No pole needed, and even this old guy can do the job by myself whenever I need to.

Go get em' girl.

Ooh Bob... maybe if you get a pair, I can live the fantasy through you....

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 04:02:41 AM »

IMO, going from a 15" 2-way to a 15" 3-way should give some sonic improvement, particularly if the 3-way 15" has a dedicated bass driver rather than the mid-bass in the 2-way box.

I'd recommend renting/borrowing one for a day, and try moving it around. Up/down stairs, in/out of the van, etc etc.
A 15" 2-way isn't too bad (though the SSE Betamax I grew up with aren't light at 95lbs), but a 3-way adds a bit more weight and a bit more bulk and end up a lot more difficult to throw around at 5am after a show.
We've never met, so I've no idea if you'd be able to do that sort of lifting or not, but it's a serious consideration if you're ever going to set this rig up alone.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »

IMO, going from a 15" 2-way to a 15" 3-way should give some sonic improvement, particularly if the 3-way 15" has a dedicated bass driver rather than the mid-bass in the 2-way box.

I'd recommend renting/borrowing one for a day, and try moving it around. Up/down stairs, in/out of the van, etc etc.
A 15" 2-way isn't too bad (though the SSE Betamax I grew up with aren't light at 95lbs), but a 3-way adds a bit more weight and a bit more bulk and end up a lot more difficult to throw around at 5am after a show.
We've never met, so I've no idea if you'd be able to do that sort of lifting or not, but it's a serious consideration if you're ever going to set this rig up alone.

Chris

Oh my goodness ... it's not me that has to deal with the weight - it's my poor husband!! I can't even lift the 12's or 15's up on to stands by myself. The DSR's are tough for me too. I don't have the same upper body strength as a man, so Chris does the hauling, lifting of speakers and I bring in the stuff on wheels and do the set up/tear down.
Another reason why the SRX835 is not selling well to Chris!

Regarding the low end enhancement - I ALWAYS use subs when low end is needed so maybe that isn't too much of a consideration.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »

This would be my reply as well. How are you going to get them up high when needed? Are your 815's running out of gas? Can you afford the narrow dispersion?

For me, the 835's would be no improvement, and I would be miserable lugging them around.

My 815's on poles over 818 sub's are used for our local summer concert series. Last summer, we had many shows with over 1000 attending. I went to the very back of this crowd, and was blown away at great it sounded. Not rock concert levels, of course.

I would spend my money on other upgrades.

Steve,

Pardon the swerve, but weren't you prevous using DSRs for this application? If my memory is correct;  how did they do compared to the 815s?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jay Marr

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

Oh my goodness ... it's not me that has to deal with the weight - it's my poor husband!! I can't even lift the 12's or 15's up on to stands by myself. The DSR's are tough for me too. I don't have the same upper body strength as a man, so Chris does the hauling, lifting of speakers and I bring in the stuff on wheels and do the set up/tear down.
Another reason why the SRX835 is not selling well to Chris!

Regarding the low end enhancement - I ALWAYS use subs when low end is needed so maybe that isn't too much of a consideration.

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but would speakers this size change your transportation situation?  (would you need a second or bigger vehicle)?
I remember a while back when I was using JBL SR4732X boxes, I needed a minivan.  When I slimmed down just a tad to SRX722s,  I was able to ditch the van and just use SUV, which was of HUGE value to me.  Just don't know if going to bigger boxes is going to cause you any additional cost in that way?

Or course all this talk is making me want to go listen to a pair of 835s.

*derail - I'm doing a speaker shootout at my place today (to try and determine what gear I need to sell just to make space).
I'm looking to keep just enough speakers for a small system (50-250 ppl) and one medium system (250-400 ppl).
Will be playing with all different Sub/Top combinations.
Subs (2 SRX728, 4 SRX718s, 2 RCF ART800a).  Tops (JBL SRX722s, RCF NX24a, JBL SRX812s, Yami DSR112s, Turbo iQ12s).
So some of the above will be up for sale soon.

And for all those who recommend the DSR112s, you were all right.  Those speakers are really growing on me.  Played with them this past Saturday, and had a chance to step out front mid set....wow they sounded crystal clear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.