ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?  (Read 25852 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

Bob is tempting?  At his age?  8)

We have a friend who does weekend warrior setups and still has a band that plays occasionally.  He had a pile of Ye Olde Skool gear (pro-type stuff, mostly) but it was big, heavy and sounded like it was 25 years old - which it was if not older.

He ended up with a pair of 835p and a pair of SRX828sp subs.  Sweet sounding rig.  Try to find a pair near you and go listen.  I've not used/heard the 815 so can't compare.

That 60° x 40° thing is certainly a "nominal" spec that exists at the top end of each pass band.  JBL no longer publishes polar plots :( but I think you can safely count on a slightly wider pattern, on average.  How much wider?  I didn't have a chance to run pink noise and listen so can't say for sure but I noticed another 10° or so with program material playing.  Above 3kHz, it's def 60° though.

Don't take that as an indictment, all multi way systems (except one manufacturer, unnamed here) exhibit some extent of pass band "beaming" as frequency increases.  When you cross over to the next pass band there's a pretty good chance the coverage is wider than "nominal" and begins to narrow as frequency increases; lather, rinse, repeat until you're out of pass bands.  This effect has been called "Christmas tree" - remember when you were a kid and you'd draw triangles, bigger on bottom, overlapping a bit at the top of each one until your tree was done?  That's what is happening in the horizontal for most all multi way  loudspeakers.

Now about your GAS problem... yeah, it's real.  I've looking forward to retirement in a few years and I'm still buying microphones and tools instead of paying down my mortgage.  I *so* understand the 835 itch.. :)

Tim, Steve, Scott - my husband thanks you......
Bob and Trevor .... not so much (but I do !)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

Depending on the audience layout for a given show, another option would be to get 2x 835s for the primary PA and use either the 812s or 815s as fills where needed. 

Even if you end up with 4x 835s, it would be nice to keep another pair in the same family for fills.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »

For outdoors, the 835's are a great choice.
I have a pair of 815's too, and I chose them over the 835's for 2 reasons:

Coverage area
SIZE

The 835's are big, bulky SOBs. I wouldn't want to lug them around unless it were absolutely necessary. Using them in most bars will be WAY Overkill. Even the 815's feel like overkill in some bars.

For outdoor gigs with my band, the 815's hold their own nicely. We get compliments on our sound quality all the time. If we needed more, we'd probably be playing gigs where pro sound is provided.

If you're a band doing your own sound, I'd stick with your 815's and 812's. They are amazing!
If you're a pro sound company doing larger clubs and outdoor events, the 835's are a great bridge between speakers on poles & Line Array type stuff.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk

This would be my reply as well. How are you going to get them up high when needed? Are your 815's running out of gas? Can you afford the narrow dispersion?

For me, the 835's would be no improvement, and I would be miserable lugging them around.

My 815's on poles over 818 sub's are used for our local summer concert series. Last summer, we had many shows with over 1000 attending. I went to the very back of this crowd, and was blown away at great it sounded. Not rock concert levels, of course.

I would spend my money on other upgrades.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

Depending on the audience layout for a given show, another option would be to get 2x 835s for the primary PA and use either the 812s or 815s as fills where needed. 

Even if you end up with 4x 835s, it would be nice to keep another pair in the same family for fills.

Thanks Corey for bringing this up. Chris and I had considered this option - in fact it came up when I first bought the SRX series. Even if I used my SRx812's as fills, that could be a good compromise.

My other consideration that I forgot to mention in my fist post is the subject of raising those beasts up high. It is nice to be able to lift up the 12's and 15' on to stands I must admit. This was something else that geared me towards the SRX815p's 2 years ago. Not that the 15's or even the 12's are the lightest of tops but they are manageable with one person at least.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »

This would be my reply as well. How are you going to get them up high when needed? Are your 815's running out of gas? Can you afford the narrow dispersion?

For me, the 835's would be no improvement, and I would be miserable lugging them around.

My 815's on poles over 818 sub's are used for our local summer concert series. Last summer, we had many shows with over 1000 attending. I went to the very back of this crowd, and was blown away at great it sounded. Not rock concert levels, of course.

I would spend my money on other upgrades.

Hey Steve,,,, I was typing my other response when you posted this.
Yes - the hoisting up of those 835's would be a buzz kill for sure.  I agree, the SRX815 over 818 or 828 works well and for my purposes is probably more than I need......you guys are bringing me back down to earth a bit...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »

Isn't the passive box a whole different animal than the powered version ?
I'm not too familiar JBL........

A quick look at jblpro.com on the USA site... there is no passive Venue Precision, which I do remember existing at one time.  No mention of it on JBL's discontinued page but current passive "big boys" are the VTX "F" series

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vtx-f-series/csxf35

The powered VP boxes are very different animals when compared to their SRX cousins.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vp-series/vp7315_64dp

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx835p

The basic specifications are numerically similar but I'd not count on these sounding the same.  Different amps, different MF/HF horns, different transducers.  I think we just found the "secret sauce"... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »

Some perspective - for MY benefit really.
NYE - band and DJ played through my system as most of you know. The drummer got some feedback from the promoter.  Seems that this was the first year they had a band - usually just DJ's in the 4 ballrooms.
So, it seems that not only was the band a big hit and they are asking about availability for next year BUT they said that our room which is the main event, had the best sound they have ever had in there.  They ALSO said that the transition from band to DJ was seamless .........Proud? - oh yes!.
Would it have made any difference if I had used SRX835's????

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »

Debbie you were one of the reasons I took the plunge and bought a pair of DSR12’s and now have 4 of them. Last night once again proved it was a great choice. I did hear the 835p last summer outdoors.  I must say the mix was great and the 835 one per side sounded fantastic. Venue holds about 500 or so at a local amusement park. That said I have no problem running my DSR 12’s in that type of setting. Now what I don’t know is how much more horsepower the 835 would have in a 1000 seats for instance. This may not help either way in your choice but they sounded great to my ear. On a side note the I got some chat time with the sound provider as the drummer for the band could not be found. He apparently fell asleep in the hotel and never showed for the start time. A guy sitting in audience offered to go up and drum for the band and they were about to take the offer and their drummer shows up. Pushed the start 20 min.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »

A quick look at jblpro.com on the USA site... there is no passive Venue Precision, which I do remember existing at one time.  No mention of it on JBL's discontinued page but current passive "big boys" are the VTX "F" series

7 years ago we tried to use Passive VP boxes for an install, even tried to get JBL to custom shop them for us.  With plenty of time on the build schedule we were told no dice from JBL. We ended up using AM series back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »

Some perspective - for MY benefit really.
NYE - band and DJ played through my system as most of you know. The drummer got some feedback from the promoter.  Seems that this was the first year they had a band - usually just DJ's in the 4 ballrooms.
So, it seems that not only was the band a big hit and they are asking about availability for next year BUT they said that our room which is the main event, had the best sound they have ever had in there.  They ALSO said that the transition from band to DJ was seamless .........Proud? - oh yes!.
Would it have made any difference if I had used SRX835's????

You done good, Debbie, and we knew you would.  Seriously.

Would 835s have made any difference?  Other than the stripper pole lady having less pole?

In the eyes and ears of the person signing the cheque?  The quick answer is "maybe".  Do they have a preference for form factor?  Does the 815/812 on stands/poles in subs look better or might they like the taller 835 on top of the subs?  Would they think of the sonic difference as something worth paying more for?

Regardless, are they able to steer more work your way?  If you spend $3000 on new speakers (plus covers, dollies/casters/levitation wizard) will it generate $9,000 in new/increased billing the first year?

You'd have a potent rig - 835 for mains, 812 for front/off stage l-r fills, wedges and subs.  Oh, and lights.  You could do a small community festival, a main stage and a kids stage or "b" stage.  How much time and effort do you want to devote to being a sound company instead of primarily supporting Chris's band?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.