ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath's "Custom Control" system  (Read 1922 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Allen & Heath's "Custom Control" system
« on: June 19, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »

A&H recently released a Custom Control system for dLive that allows the user easily to build graphical applications that run under an app on iOS and Android devices. There are three components: an editor and test platform that runs under Windows or Mac, a program in the mixrack (invisible to the user) that serves the mobile application, and apps for the mobile devices that anyone can install. This is mainly intended for the install market but I think it may have live/portable uses as well.

To give it a try I put together a little monitor mixing app -- yet to be used in battle -- with the idea that band members can make monitor adjustments from their phones. The interface is very spare but also easy to customize. It provides a tab for each of 4 monitor mixes and a selection of 8 input channel faders for each. As built, all the tabs have the same assortment of inputs but would not need to. I assume in due course A&H will add more functionality, but it's pretty cool as is. Below is a screen shot from my phone.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Allen & Heath's "Custom Control" system
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »

A&H recently released a Custom Control system for dLive that allows the user easily to build graphical applications that run under an app on iOS and Android devices. There are three components: an editor and test platform that runs under Windows or Mac, a program in the mixrack (invisible to the user) that serves the mobile application, and apps for the mobile devices that anyone can install. This is mainly intended for the install market but I think it may have live/portable uses as well.

To give it a try I put together a little monitor mixing app -- yet to be used in battle -- with the idea that band members can make monitor adjustments from their phones. The interface is very spare but also easy to customize. It provides a tab for each of 4 monitor mixes and a selection of 8 input channel faders for each. As built, all the tabs have the same assortment of inputs but would not need to. I assume in due course A&H will add more functionality, but it's pretty cool as is. Below is a screen shot from my phone.

--Frank

Way cool indeed!  Not that I nor my venue can afford/justify a dLive right now but it’s very promising that manufacturers are starting to consider this level of customization.
..db

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:22:38 AM »

it’s very promising that manufacturers are starting to consider this level of customization.
Give it a couple of years and it might be nearly as good as Mixing Station, which has been available for X32/M32 for years...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »

To give it a try I put together a little monitor mixing app -- yet to be used in battle -- with the idea that band members can make monitor adjustments from their phones. The interface is very spare but also easy to customize. It provides a tab for each of 4 monitor mixes and a selection of 8 input channel faders for each. As built, all the tabs have the same assortment of inputs but would not need to. I assume in due course A&H will add more functionality, but it's pretty cool as is. Below is a screenshot from my phone.

--Frank

Below is one I started to build. I sent it off to a friend to see what his band would like (I haven't had a chance to use my dLive with a band yet and won't for a while). I had wanted to get some feedback before fully finishing it and releasing it to the public. But perhaps here is a good spot as more people will get their hands on it.

Note, mixrack is not needed to emulate it on your computer from the design software, but it is necessary to run on any other device.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ac9vksak22sn25/AAAXRfziP2hjgxbkQE-C8cwja?dl=0

I talked at length with the A&H engineers at Infocomm about the app and they are definitely going to improve it, but for now it has a good bit of power. There are some limitations if using lots of meters though the chromatic meter uses less data than the normal meter. You cannot have dynamic controls *yet* (user pushes a button that changes the control parameters).

I too see this is a dLive4You replacement though with some rough edges.

Notes on my design.
-It is a single mix control, but scalable to most of the dLive channels through the 10 pages.
-I haven't tested this yet to see how much data it uses and how stable it is.
-There are 5-ish variants with different looks and styles and amounts.
-The labels should be dynamic and pull the names of the channels.
-The basic idea is to create 10 "layouts" each named Mix1-Mix10 with a username of Mix1-Mix10. Logging in to the control app with a username will then download the correct layout giving control of whichever mix, in essence, this allows one to "select the mix" necessary.

I would really like some feedback on which UI design everyone prefers. I will then fully flush out the app in that style.

Depending on network utilization testing to see how stable it is I'll probaby have two versions a "lite" and a "full" lite will have chromatic and full will have meters.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »

Give it a couple of years and it might be nearly as good as Mixing Station, which has been available for X32/M32 for years...
Agreed, but still impressive that a major manufacturer has seen the value in David’s innovative work on MixingStation (which does support the A&H QU series) and has chosen to expend some effort to move in that same direction.
..db

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »

Agreed, but still impressive that a major manufacturer has seen the value in David’s innovative work on MixingStation (which does support the A&H QU series) and has chosen to expend some effort to move in that same direction.

I do think this is an interesting development.  I would LOVE to have the ability to "roll my own app" for a hardware mixer using relatively simple drag and drop programming tools.  To be able to include what i need and leave off what i don't could be very powerful.

This is a direction worth watching to see where it leads....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:14:15 PM »

I do think this is an interesting development.  I would LOVE to have the ability to "roll my own app" for a hardware mixer using relatively simple drag and drop programming tools.  To be able to include what i need and leave off what i don't could be very powerful.

This is a direction worth watching to see where it leads....

Yamaha has had ProVisionaire Touch out for quite some time.  It allows custom designed integrated iPad control of MTX/MRX processors, XMV power amps and CL/QL/TF series mixers. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »

Yamaha has had ProVisionaire Touch out for quite some time.  It allows custom designed integrated iPad control of MTX/MRX processors, XMV power amps and CL/QL/TF series mixers. 

Lee
I've tried the Yamaha app, but it's very limited. (Fewer controls, iPad ONLY, etc.) They are really focusing on install apps more than live. A&H has the right idea and I applaud their innovation.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »

I've tried the Yamaha app, but it's very limited. (Fewer controls, iPad ONLY, etc.) They are really focusing on install apps more than live. A&H has the right idea and I applaud their innovation.

Yes, it is more limited but for anything advanced we do Crestron.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.