ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dampness in House of Worship  (Read 6389 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
Dampness in House of Worship
« on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »

I have been tasked to deal with a recurring problem in a chapel close to me. There are three XLR sockets located on a small step up to the main sanctuary part of the church. One of these sockets seems to suffer from rising damp. About three years ago I covered the solder connectors on the socket with "Wonder Gel" (http://www.raytech.it/product/low-voltage/wonder-gel?lang=en). This insulating gel cured the problem, but it is back again, despite the gel. Is there any other solution for insulating the connectors on the back of the xlr faceplate?

Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

David Allred

Re: Dampness in House of Worship
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:30 PM »

I have been tasked to deal with a recurring problem in a chapel close to me. There are three XLR sockets located on a small step up to the main sanctuary part of the church. One of these sockets seems to suffer from rising damp. About three years ago I covered the solder connectors on the socket with "Wonder Gel" (http://www.raytech.it/product/low-voltage/wonder-gel?lang=en). This insulating gel cured the problem, but it is back again, despite the gel. Is there any other solution for insulating the connectors on the back of the xlr faceplate?

Is it in a plenum or directly exposed to conditioned cold air that might cause temp differential and condensation?

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »

It’s sunk directly into the concrete floor. Cables are run inside buried conduit.

Chapel is only heated for two hours per day which is adding to the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »

It’s sunk directly into the concrete floor. Cables are run inside buried conduit.

Chapel is only heated for two hours per day which is adding to the problem

The condensation is coming inside the conduit...which is pretty common. Try closing the end of the conduit off with expanding foam or silicone. Makes it a bit of a pain to pull additional wiring through later, but helps keep the moisture out of the box.

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »

That would make sense. Yea I will try that. I won’t be pulling any cables anytime soon so it doesn’t bother me

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »

I would suspect there is standing water inside the underground conduit. Can sometimes be cleaned out with a shop vac, but hard to get a good seal with cable in the way.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »

I would suspect there is standing water inside the underground conduit. Can sometimes be cleaned out with a shop vac, but hard to get a good seal with cable in the way.

I would blow it out with a compressor rather than try and suck it out.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »

I would blow it out with a compressor rather than try and suck it out.
I would check the other end to see where the water will spray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »

I would check the other end to see where the water will spray

What Rob said, it can be putrid too

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »

The condensation is coming inside the conduit...which is pretty common. Try closing the end of the conduit off with expanding foam or silicone. Makes it a bit of a pain to pull additional wiring through later, but helps keep the moisture out of the box.

I’d just grab a block of duct seal and shove some of that in there.  That’s what it’s for and it’s not the pain-in-the-ass that foam or silicone would be.  You can get it at Home Depot or your electrical supply shop.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »

I’d just grab a block of duct seal and shove some of that in there.  That’s what it’s for and it’s not the pain-in-the-ass that foam or silicone would be.  You can get it at Home Depot or your electrical supply shop.

+1

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »

+1

You mean firestop?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »

You mean firestop?

No, duct seal. It is like a putty like modeling clay. It never hardens. I still have some from 1974 that is fine. I am blanking on the trade name.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »

No, duct seal. It is like a putty like modeling clay. It never hardens. I still have some from 1974 that is fine. I am blanking on the trade name.

DUCT SEAL

-Hal
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:36:49 PM by Mac Kerr »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »

It does get stiffer but I’ve never had it become unusable.  Just this past fall at my in-laws I pulled some out of a hole we were patching up and used it to seal some new conduit.  Worked great, had probably been there for a decade, exposed to the MN weather and all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.