ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Ls2100 Refurbush  (Read 7256 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yorkville Ls2100 Refurbush
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »

Wow Tim!
It's a current model $2300 sub with a well-built baltic birch cabinet and a 21" B&C.  Recones are simple, so is sending an amp for repair. 
Why wouldn't that be a bargain if free?

If you have any urges to pass up or trash any gear of that caliber I'll gladly drive down there and take such matters off your hands :)

Drive?  OH MY.  At least our 19° weather would be a heat wave for you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »

Tim- thanks I was wondering if that would have any effect on the sound.
        I am assuming dense insulation and a tight seal at the back would have   it sounding ok.

I am going to take the amp in next week when I order the cones.

Will post pictures of the before and after duratex etc.

As to how they were blown
- The outboard Dsp was maxed  20hz-100hz+/-   
- The IT guy logged into the processor with the Ipad and thought it would be a good idea to "turn it up"   during a heavy EDM show.
- also no limiting was implemented

Im not going to go into this place but it was bad "cluster fuk" subs everywhere , incorrectly hung Danley's over assorted yorkville subs.

Presuming you like the way this sub sounds to start with I'd not change the internal cabinet volume and I'd not add to or subtract from any insulation in the cabinet.  At least not to start out; keep the number of variables down until you're satisfied they sound enough like the originals, then if you want to experiment with internal damping, go for it.  It will affect your processing parameters to some extent.  How much?  That could be part of your experimentation down the line...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »

Yorkville powered boxes are NOT indestructible.  I used to fix quite a lot of them. :)

I've only heard the LS2100P specifically in small venues so I don't know whether it was the venue, tuning, tech, or box that sounded horrible, but it was definitely at least one of them.

I've also heard some properly tuned LS2104 (passive version) outdoors and they sounded quite smooth (live music).  Not my rig that time but I was mixing, two per side under some community boxes.  I imagine you could dial these in nicely with the right processor and measurement rig.

In my opinion it's a lot of weight (200+lbs) with too low of a height (36") to really make use of the tilt-back casters.  The spec sheet for the LS2104 claims that it's 148.5lbs, which means you might prefer moving them around without that heavy plate amp in the back. 

Or, if you want to attempt repairing the amp yourself, the schematics are online.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »

EDM can often have sine-wave-like content for minutes at a time. If one of those sine waves happens to be at port tuning, cone excursion pretty much stops, so there's no air flow around the coil. The result is the coil will pretty much sit there and cook. The amplifier doesn't need to be that big, either.

RMS limiting or thermal sensors are just about the only thing that'll save the cones when subject to that sort of (ab)use.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Turner

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »

Late seeing this but Yorkville has a pretty much no questions asked 2 year warranty if they are past that factory repairs are reasonably priced.

Not sure on OP location but if in Canada I'd get the repair done through the nearest Long-Mcquade if within driving distance as they have killer freight rates with purolator and their own fleet of 5 ton trucks going back empty as well after deliveries

If not call Pickering directly and ask for an after warranty RMA Phone (905) 837-8481

I once had sent an AP3000 amp in (vintage was 18 yrs old by serial) , local tech said $400 to even look at it cause they always catastrophically fail. total bill was $180 tax in and freight both ways. Tech even sent a note back with it saying he kept it an extra 2 days to burn it in and test it on real speakers not just sweep it on a scope and send it off.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Late seeing this but Yorkville has a pretty much no questions asked 2 year warranty if they are past that factory repairs are reasonably priced.

Not sure on OP location but if in Canada I'd get the repair done through the nearest Long-Mcquade if within driving distance as they have killer freight rates with purolator and their own fleet of 5 ton trucks going back empty as well after deliveries

Speaking as a small mom and pop retailer, who is also a YS dealer, please support your local shop. My little shop has great shipping rates and we can almost always sell below online MAP pricing to anyone who cares to ask for a price on an item. Oh, and our rental stock actually works too.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.