ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Mic Cable  (Read 2382 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Stereo Mic Cable
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

I am looking for a stereo mic cable for use with a Shure VP88. I am sure the Shure C110 cable is fine, but pretty costly for what it is.  I already have the 5 pin ends too. Will cable used for 5 pin dmx suffice? Or is there a special stereo wire for this application? Use would be in live production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Stereo Mic Cable
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »

I am looking for a stereo mic cable for use with a Shure VP88. I am sure the Shure C110 cable is fine, but pretty costly for what it is.  I already have the 5 pin ends too. Will cable used for 5 pin dmx suffice? Or is there a special stereo wire for this application? Use would be in live production.

You should be able to do that with any star quad cable.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »

5 pin dmx cable is a different standard.  No Grantee or warrantee  Get the Star Quad Cable. 

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »

I see no reason why wire used for DMX would have any issue transporting two balanced pairs of analog audio.

Shure’s pinout shows a single, shared shield, which would require a wye cable to be made for breaking out the individual mono signals at the mixer end.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »

Use the dmx cable. It is 2ch of twisted pair, just what you're looking for. The fact that it has a characteristic impedance of 110Ω is irrelevant. Do not use Star Quad, it is not intended nor particularly suitable for stereo signals.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:36 PM »

You should be able to do that with any star quad cable.

Star Quad pair twist is wrong and has a higher capacitance.   As Mac points out DMX cable is better suited for this use than Star Quad or other brands of similar 4 conductor shielded wire.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »

One thing to be aware of, not all 5pin DMX cables are equal.  Some of the cheaper ones use only a single twisted pair and leave pins 4 & 5 in connected. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »

One thing to be aware of, not all 5pin DMX cables are equal.  Some of the cheaper ones use only a single twisted pair and leave pins 4 & 5 in connected.

He's not asking about connectorized cable, he has the connectors and is looking for cable to put them on.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.