ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex  (Read 14318 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »

Nice job. Sounds like you got it panned out perfectly. All we need now is a pic of the band performing!
Here is one of the bands I work with. This stage was a bit wider than the ones I had planned my lighting for, but you can still see the effect. Because of the wider stage, I should have tried barn doors or snoots here, but didn't have any extra time prior to the show.

Anyway, skin tone looks better than with the older RGB (blue-white) lights that I used to have.
Member since 2005.

Steve Garris

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »

Here is one of the bands I work with. This stage was a bit wider than the ones I had planned my lighting for, but you can still see the effect. Because of the wider stage, I should have tried barn doors or snoots here, but didn't have any extra time prior to the show.

Anyway, skin tone looks better than with the older RGB (blue-white) lights that I used to have.

Looks great! How are they mounted?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »

With a multi-element LED fixture, barn doors or a tube will not be very effective unless it is quite long.
Each LED will make it's own separate shadow, and the edges don't line up.
You really need a single light source to get a sharp edged beam.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »

Looks great! How are they mounted?
Just your typical T-bar on tripod stands. I bought some really short IEC cables so that I could daisy-chain power across all 4 fixtures on the bar. Same deal with DMX...they are wireless and daisy'd. All I do is plug in a single power cable for each front tree, raise them up, and aim. Thinking of ordering road cases for them now.
Member since 2005.

Steve Garris

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »

Just your typical T-bar on tripod stands. I bought some really short IEC cables so that I could daisy-chain power across all 4 fixtures on the bar. Same deal with DMX...they are wireless and daisy'd. All I do is plug in a single power cable for each front tree, raise them up, and aim. Thinking of ordering road cases for them now.

That's exactly how my trees are done. I use a keyboard soft-case for transport.

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »

That's exactly how my trees are done. I use a keyboard soft-case for transport.

How's that working for you Steve? I've been considering the same idea, if I can find a keyboard case big enough.

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »

Currently looking to add more static front lighting to my bar rig. I want LED pars with amber (RGBA) to improve skin tone of performers. I want them to be very bright so things sparkle up there, but my budget is only $800-$1000 for 4 of them. Maybe more if I wait.

I've compared specs between Chauvet SlimPar Q12 and the ADJ 12P Hex. It seems that the Chauvet puts out nearly twice as much light at about 1/3 the power of the ADJ. Is the difference all because of beam angle? If so, which beam angle is best for small stages?

(BTW, my front light trees are usually setup where the main speakers are, some 10 to 25 feet away from the front-man. Most ceiling heights are around 10 to 14 feet. I think my light trees can reach 13'.)

SlimPar Q12 = 4,960 LUX@2M, power draw 45W, BA=17
ADJ 12P Hex = 2,770 LUX@2M, power draw 150W, BA=30

Don't know if you're still looking Gordon, but I have the Chauvet Q12s. Love em! I started with 4 in the front(2 on each side). Added another 4 as soon as I had the funds. In situations similar to what you're describing, these PARs throw a great deal of light. In smaller clubs I usually have them way less than 100% on. And I love the added Amber. These things make a great salmon color which works great for skin tone enhancement.

Steve Garris

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »

How's that working for you Steve? I've been considering the same idea, if I can find a keyboard case big enough.

Great. This is my "do all" light bar that I include for free with every PA rental. The lights are color fade and sound active. I throw this up behind the drummer. It fits in the case perfectly, even though the T-Bar was slightly longer than the soft case inside dimension.

Allen Smith

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »

I use four of the eight lights on the front trees for spots.  I have had pretty good luck with the plain RGB lights at least for club situations.  It just takes some time finding the right blend.  I really like the ease of use from my 4Bar TRI Chauvet bars.  They come with a case and are wifi enabled, both make setup and transport easy.  The photos show 4 4BAR TRI and some Chauvet movers.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:39:33 PM by Allen Smith »

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

I use four of the eight lights on the front trees for spots.  I have had pretty good luck with the plain RGB lights at least for club situations.  It just takes some time finding the right blend.  I really like the ease of use from my 4Bar TRI Chauvet bars.  They come with a case and are wifi enabled, both make setup and transport easy.  The photos show 4 4BAR TRI and some Chauvet movers.

Those look very good for 3W led's! Do you control them via the wifi foot pedal?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.