ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex  (Read 14299 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA

Currently looking to add more static front lighting to my bar rig. I want LED pars with amber (RGBA) to improve skin tone of performers. I want them to be very bright so things sparkle up there, but my budget is only $800-$1000 for 4 of them. Maybe more if I wait.

I've compared specs between Chauvet SlimPar Q12 and the ADJ 12P Hex. It seems that the Chauvet puts out nearly twice as much light at about 1/3 the power of the ADJ. Is the difference all because of beam angle? If so, which beam angle is best for small stages?

(BTW, my front light trees are usually setup where the main speakers are, some 10 to 25 feet away from the front-man. Most ceiling heights are around 10 to 14 feet. I think my light trees can reach 13'.)

SlimPar Q12 = 4,960 LUX@2M, power draw 45W, BA=17
ADJ 12P Hex = 2,770 LUX@2M, power draw 150W, BA=30
Member since 2005.

Scott Hofmann

Re: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:11 AM »

Currently looking to add more static front lighting to my bar rig. I want LED pars with amber (RGBA) to improve skin tone of performers. I want them to be very bright so things sparkle up there, but my budget is only $800-$1000 for 4 of them. Maybe more if I wait.

I've compared specs between Chauvet SlimPar Q12 and the ADJ 12P Hex. It seems that the Chauvet puts out nearly twice as much light at about 1/3 the power of the ADJ. Is the difference all because of beam angle? If so, which beam angle is best for small stages?

(BTW, my front light trees are usually setup where the main speakers are, some 10 to 25 feet away from the front-man. Most ceiling heights are around 10 to 14 feet. I think my light trees can reach 13'.)

If you have a light mounted 10' high and have a person standing 12' away from it, you optimistically have a 13' throw (distance the light has to travel). Your 17 degree fixture will give you only about a 4' diameter circle of light; your 30 degree fixture will give you a 7' circle. With only 4 lights and generally operating in a fairly small space, the wider beamspread would work the best.
Scott Hofmann

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:29:06 PM »

If I switch from my current incandescent Pars to an LED for the front wash, the ADJ 5P Hex is on my list. The 30 deg beam angle and amber led's are the exact features I was looking for. I personally think the 1250 lux will be plenty for my speaker-mounted front wash. They fit within your budget.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »

What's the difference between beam angle and field angle? I'm looking at some light for front lighting as well and they offer both beam and field angle on the specs.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

"Beam" is the brightly lit area illuminated; "field" is the area from the edge of the beam out to where there is no illumination.  In a hard edge focus, beam and field essentially coincide.  The bigger the difference, the softer the focus.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:23:45 PM »

What's the difference between beam angle and field angle? I'm looking at some light for front lighting as well and they offer both beam and field angle on the specs.

What Mark said, but to put some numbers on it - “Beam Angle” is generally considered to be any part of the beam that’s at least 50% the maximum luminous intensity of the unit.  This is not always rotationally symmetric.  “Field Angle” is any part of the beam less than 50% the maximum luminous intensity but more than 10%.  The published numbers are usually taken at the 50% and 10% marks.  The further apart the numbers are, the softer the edge of the beam will usually be. 

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

I'm looking at the Chauvet Colordash Quad 18. https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/colordash-par-quad-18/

Specs are:
•Light Source: 18 LEDs (quad-color RGBA) 7 W, (500 mA), 50,000 hours life expectancy
•Color Temperature (range): 2800 to 10000 K
•Installed Optics: 20°
•Beam Angle: 18°
•Field Angle: 32.5°
•Illuminance: 1,210 lux @ 5 m
•PWM Frequency: 600 Hz

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »

I'm looking at the Chauvet Colordash Quad 18. https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/colordash-par-quad-18/

Specs are:
•Light Source: 18 LEDs (quad-color RGBA) 7 W, (500 mA), 50,000 hours life expectancy
•Color Temperature (range): 2800 to 10000 K
•Installed Optics: 20°
•Beam Angle: 18°
•Field Angle: 32.5°
•Illuminance: 1,210 lux @ 5 m
•PWM Frequency: 600 Hz

That's an extremely narrow beam, and very bright. For a front wash in a typical club setting, those would not work for me.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »

That's an extremely narrow beam, and very bright. For a front wash in a typical club setting, those would not work for me.
A 20˚ beam angle is actually fairly typical for an LED Par.  I agree that it’s pretty narrow if you only have a few fixtures and need to cover a whole stage.  The good news is there are plastic diffraction lenses that you can put in front of the light to widen the beam.  Elation sells them as do others.

http://www.elationlighting.com/lsf-filters

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:44 AM »

A 20˚ beam angle is actually fairly typical for an LED Par.  I agree that it’s pretty narrow if you only have a few fixtures and need to cover a whole stage.  The good news is there are plastic diffraction lenses that you can put in front of the light to widen the beam.  Elation sells them as do others.

http://www.elationlighting.com/lsf-filters

His budget is $800-$1000 for 4 lights. That's a $400+ light, that is extremely bright for 10 to 25 ft from the performer. I would like to try one of those diffusing gels out some day, but I love the simplicity of an led par.

I still say the 30 degree ADJ 5P Hex is a better fit. (4) of them would cover the stage nicely at $140 each.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.