ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rts ssa324 to 4wire mixer  (Read 4467 times)

Adam Slater

Rts ssa324 to 4wire mixer
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »

Hi
I am currently assembling a camera crane (Technocrane) talkback system using an rts ssa324 a power supply and bp-325 belt packs linked to a Ctp systems 4010 4wire mixer,
I can make the system talk from the belt backs to the operator at the mixer end on channel 2 on the belt pack, and talk within the belt pack loop only on channel 1

So the problem

I need to share a feed of the gallery/director to the operator and to the grips so I've used a tone generator and plugged into the B channel out of the user station but what ever I do I get both signals down channel two of the belt packs where it should be separate operator and gallery?

Do I need to change any jumpers in the belt packs or the user station?
I've tried all the buttons and available switches and different ways of connecting but everything goes to channel 2

I worked with these systems for years so I know it's possible but this is my first build so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adam

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Rts ssa324 to 4wire mixer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »

Hi
I am currently assembling a camera crane (Technocrane) talkback system using an rts ssa324 a power supply and bp-325 belt packs linked to a Ctp systems 4010 4wire mixer,
I can make the system talk from the belt backs to the operator at the mixer end on channel 2 on the belt pack, and talk within the belt pack loop only on channel 1

So the problem

I need to share a feed of the gallery/director to the operator and to the grips so I've used a tone generator and plugged into the B channel out of the user station but what ever I do I get both signals down channel two of the belt packs where it should be separate operator and gallery?

I've tried all the buttons and available switches and different ways of connecting but everything goes to channel 2

I worked with these systems for years so I know it's possible but this is my first build so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adam

It's not really clear to me from your description what you are doing here. Are you connecting through the headset connector on the camera, or are you running a comms cable to the operator position for the Techno crane? How many people at the operator position need comms? What channels do they need to talk to, and what channels do they need to listen to?

Usually I see crane/jib operators with a 2ch setup where ch1 is the cams channel listening and talking to the director and ch2 is an iso where the operator can talk to his utility/grip. This can be done easily with a comms cable run separately to the operator, or with a simple adapter out of the camera headset connector. There is a schematic of the jib adapter on Pete Erskine's website. You have to register to access the drawings, but he does not do anything with your registration data.

If you need different comms than this, please try to explain it more fully including which channels each user needs and where they are located.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:37:24 PM »

Hi

So the problem

Sounds like you, as Mac says, are trying to connect a comm system to the headset connector on the Camera.

Take a look at this. 
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Adam Slater

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:52 AM »

Sounds like you, as Mac says, are trying to connect a comm system to the headset connector on the Camera.

Take a look at this. 
Hi

So the problem

Thanks

Adam

Hi guys

Ok it's not connecting to the camera at all, the 4 wire mixer connects to a studio wall box so the camera operator can listen and talk to the gallery, then through the rts ssa324 user station and power supply which connects to three belt pack for the grips at the crane end.
The issue I have is at the rts end where I have 2 channel bp325 belt pack and I full duplex to the camera operator but as soon as I add gallery into the b channel on the 324
Both inputs go down channel two on the belt packs ?whereas i need them separated on channel one and two so each grip can control op and gallery levels themselves
There's something I am doing wrong as we use this type of set up all the time it just seems to default all down the one channel when its converted through the 2/4 wire converter bit?

Thanks for your help
Adam

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »

Hi guys

Ok it's not connecting to the camera at all, the 4 wire mixer connects to a studio wall box so the camera operator can listen and talk to the gallery, then through the rts ssa324 user station and power supply which connects to three belt pack for the grips at the crane end.
The issue I have is at the rts end where I have 2 channel bp325 belt pack and I full duplex to the camera operator but as soon as I add gallery into the b channel on the 324
Both inputs go down channel two on the belt packs ?whereas i need them separated on channel one and two so each grip can control op and gallery levels themselves
There's something I am doing wrong as we use this type of set up all the time it just seems to default all down the one channel when its converted through the 2/4 wire converter bit?

Thanks for your help
Adam

How are you connecting to the I/O of the 4W system exactly? Which pins on the connector are getting the input from the mixer and which are sending the output to the 4W system? What does the 4W system hear when you talk on each ch of the BP325s?

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »

Your connectivity is still not clear, but one point to remember is the SSA324 is a single channel interface; it can select which of the two RTS channels to pass, but it can only pass one of them.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Adam Slater

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »

Your connectivity is still not clear, but one point to remember is the SSA324 is a single channel interface; it can select which of the two RTS channels to pass, but it can only pass one of them.

Ok I'm baffled I'm trying to up load pictures now
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:11:02 PM by Mac Kerr »

Adam Slater

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

[/quot

Ok I'm baffled I'm trying to up load pictures now

Neil White

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »

That doesn’t look like a power supply I would expect to work with RTS BP325 beltpacks, Granite is normally one of the many Clearcom / Tecpro / Canford compatible systems, Single channel of comm on an XLR while RTS is 2 channels. Many of those power supplies have two circuits that can be linked as one to power more beltpacks or separated to give two independant single channel circuits .

Clearcom Pin Out is pin 1 ground, pin 2 DC power and pin 3 audio. RTS is pin 1 ground, pin 2 dc volts and channel 1 audio, pin 3 channel 2 audio.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.