ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H SQ6 AMM Auto Mic Mixer question.  (Read 4082 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
A&H SQ6 AMM Auto Mic Mixer question.
« on: August 18, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »

I posted this over on the A&H SQ forum but I thought I would post it here also because I think this forum gets more traffic and a lot of knowledgeable people.

I am very familiar with Automixers, a little bit with the Dan Dugan but mostly with the Shure SCM810. Today working with a local sound company we installed an SQ6 (with its version of an Automixer the AMM) in a room where they have board meetings. There will be 20 wireless table top gooseneck mics and 2 Hand Held wireless mics. The already installed ceiling speaker system that we had to tie into isn’t the greatest but it is usable and should be fine with everything on the AMM. I got the system sounding pretty good with one of the table top mics. In my experience since I have done this many times before, I figured I could just add the other table top mics but before I got past 4 of them up I was having feedback issues. I have been able to do a similar thing with 30 wireless bodypacks that with the Automixer working I could get one working and add all of the others with no problems, because the output was always equal to one mic. I know this (SQ Mixer AMM) is an attempt at a Dan Dugan style of automixer but it isn’t working like one. Are there any tricks to making this work better? I have all of the channel priority levels set to 0, do I need to decrease the priority level on all of the channels to make things work. I ran out of time today and actually have to teach the client how to use this early on Monday. I did get it all working with all of the mics turned up but not with the kind of gain I feel I should have.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of scenario with the AMM or have any suggestions.

Peter Morris

Re: A&H SQ6 AMM Auto Mic Mixer question.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

I posted this over on the A&H SQ forum but I thought I would post it here also because I think this forum gets more traffic and a lot of knowledgeable people.

I am very familiar with Automixers, a little bit with the Dan Dugan but mostly with the Shure SCM810. Today working with a local sound company we installed an SQ6 (with its version of an Automixer the AMM) in a room where they have board meetings. There will be 20 wireless table top gooseneck mics and 2 Hand Held wireless mics. The already installed ceiling speaker system that we had to tie into isn’t the greatest but it is usable and should be fine with everything on the AMM. I got the system sounding pretty good with one of the table top mics. In my experience since I have done this many times before, I figured I could just add the other table top mics but before I got past 4 of them up I was having feedback issues. I have been able to do a similar thing with 30 wireless bodypacks that with the Automixer working I could get one working and add all of the others with no problems, because the output was always equal to one mic. I know this (SQ Mixer AMM) is an attempt at a Dan Dugan style of automixer but it isn’t working like one. Are there any tricks to making this work better? I have all of the channel priority levels set to 0, do I need to decrease the priority level on all of the channels to make things work. I ran out of time today and actually have to teach the client how to use this early on Monday. I did get it all working with all of the mics turned up but not with the kind of gain I feel I should have.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of scenario with the AMM or have any suggestions.

FWIW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IAWEfBauIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hjyYEHazQ

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »

FWIW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IAWEfBauIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hjyYEHazQ

Thank you but that didn't help. The SQ AMM is different than the QU in a few ways and similar in others. But that isn't my problem.

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »

Thank you but that didn't help. The SQ AMM is different than the QU in a few ways and similar in others. But that isn't my problem.

Sorry ... I thought the SQ AMM was like the Qu, if its like the dLive have a look from 27:30 & again from 49.20  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfixqpw_tWc
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:23:24 AM by Peter Morris »

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

Sorry ... I thought the SQ AMM was like the Qu, if its like the dLive have a look from 27:30 & again from 49.20  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfixqpw_tWc

I watched those videos this morning before going to the venue where the SQ6 is installed. And I have a feeling that if the NOM version that they show in there where to be available in the SQ that might work for this install (if it functions properly) because the AMM in the SQ6 is not working as I am using to them working.

Thank your attempt to help me.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

Kevin, you're well versed in AMM's as evident from searching for related posts trying to help you. I'm stumped as well.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Sorry, I can't help more.

For everone else, here's more info:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,154307.msg1416005.html#msg1416005
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,144907.msg1334895.html#msg1334895
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162316.msg1494199.html#msg1494199
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »

If the AM doesn't work as expected, maybe there is a setting wrong, or maybe it is not operating properly (broken).

Not rocket science if the NOM gain sharing is working properly.

Double check the OM, then bust their customer service line. AM are supposed to make your life easier.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 04:17:47 PM »

This is coming from a QU auto mix user. The latest QU firmware update added the option to have the the mics main channel fader also control the side chain detector level for that mic in the auto mix mode.

Just throwing that out, maybe that could help you or not, maybe that option is not even on a SQ at this time!

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:48 PM »

If the AM doesn't work as expected, maybe there is a setting wrong, or maybe it is not operating properly (broken).

Not rocket science if the NOM gain sharing is working properly.

Double check the OM, then bust their customer service line. AM are supposed to make your life easier.  8)

JR

Thank you for your reply. It is working, but I don’t think it is working right, unless I am expecting more out of it than it is capable of. I have a call in to someone higher up the food chain then customer service. I have read the Owner’s Manual and watched a bunch of videos but the ones that deal with the AMM (D Classic) as they call it seem to be mostly for the other A&H mixers.

This morning, while training the facility staff in the use of the SQ6, I lowered the priority on all but the chairman’s mic and it didn’t seem to help. This was I guess a shot in the dark.

I know your experience/expertise with the Dugan style auto mixing. Are my expectations out of line? When I say “I got the system sounding pretty good with one of the table top mics. In my experience since I have done this many times before, I figured I could just add the other table top mics but before I got past 4 of them up I was having feedback issues.”

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »

Thank you for your reply. It is working, but I don’t think it is working right, unless I am expecting more out of it than it is capable of. I have a call in to someone higher up the food chain then customer service. I have read the Owner’s Manual and watched a bunch of videos but the ones that deal with the AMM (D Classic) as they call it seem to be mostly for the other A&H mixers.

This morning, while training the facility staff in the use of the SQ6, I lowered the priority on all but the chairman’s mic and it didn’t seem to help. This was I guess a shot in the dark.
I got a patent on priority channels... but guess what..? If everybody has priority, nobody has...priority is playing games with the side chain. NOM "should" still work but I don't know what's inside every AM.

Try priority on no channels, maybe just one that deserves priority.

I know your experience/expertise with the Dugan style auto mixing. Are my expectations out of line? When I say “I got the system sounding pretty good with one of the table top mics. In my experience since I have done this many times before, I figured I could just add the other table top mics but before I got past 4 of them up I was having feedback issues.”
Working properly AM should deliver a NOM of pretty much one mic... you can still get feedback with one mic, but not as much feedback as a room full of mics.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.