ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Powered Tops  (Read 10407 times)

Dustin Coval

Which Powered Tops
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »

Looking for something "higher end" to replace our K12 tops.     Mostly for up to 500 person DJ events and small sound reinforcement on occasion.   Suggestions?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Which Powered Tops
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »

Looking for something "higher end" to replace our K12 tops.     Mostly for up to 500 person DJ events and small sound reinforcement on occasion.   Suggestions?

Search for "upgrade K12" or "upgrade mains K12" or "replace k12"

That said, DSR and SRX flavors are generally the upgrade option while staying int he pro-sumer <$1500 <90lbs & powered range.

Something not out of the budget range (stated), but rarely found in the prosumer market [as a suggestion, as JBL/Yamy/QSC owns the market] is the Martin CDD Live series 12" or 15" their unique coaxial differential dispersion design is actually innovative. Highly suggest that speaker!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:31:46 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »

What is your budget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rick Powell

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »

Modest upgrade- JBL SRX powered series, Yamaha DSR112
Substantial upgrade with price to match-Fulcrum FA Series or RCF TT Series

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »

I’m also in the search for this. I have k12s but I want to go to true pro level speaker.  The rcf tt is near the top of my list but I’m still trying to see what else is out there.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »

First thought: Look at 15's (I'd look at Yorkville http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/elite/product/ef15p/) or similar for your larger DJ events keep the k12's for your small sound reinforcement (or monitors for your "big rig").
but beware...
Once you upgrade your tops, you will want to upgrade your subs.....
you-have-been-warned...lol

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:45 AM »

JBL SRX815p

A very nice step up from the K12.

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »

the RCF Art745 is LOUD, good sounding, light and reasonably priced (I own four of 'em, first version). A couple of months ago or so, RCF also introduced the new NX models, which are basically a wooden version of their Art732 and 745 models (same components, same poweramp, enhanced DSP with FIR processing)

I'm in no way linked to RCF except for being a happy user of their products

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

Have experienced QSC K8, Yamaha DSR112 and RCF HD12, I think for the budget the RCF HD series is quite admirable and the headroom is quite high before clipping (the QSC already reducing its low end when near the limit, but quite hard to do apple to apple as the QSC is the only one with 8" woofer). Have seen the HD32a and SUB8004 sets being used on a mall ( 4 Heads + 2 Subs) and it goes quite loud there. If you need more forward vocals the HD32 is a better fit I think as it has 4" coil compared to 1.5" on HD12.

In the end, I would recommend you demo it yourself if possible. The latest QSC series have a new DSP management afaik and it may have different headroom compared to the older series (can't demo it here, import regulation block many new toys)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »

Deleted...

I mentioned JTR, but they aren't powered

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »

First thought: Look at 15's (I'd look at Yorkville http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/elite/product/ef15p/) or similar for your larger DJ events keep the k12's for your small sound reinforcement (or monitors for your "big rig").
but beware...
Once you upgrade your tops, you will want to upgrade your subs.....
you-have-been-warned...lol

I'll second this. I have the older EF500p version of this box and after 10+ years I am still happy with them. Really a work horse box.  I like the weight of the new box though!

Douglas R. Allen

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

What's the budget? Higher end could be $4000+.

"500 person DJ events". 500 people on a big dance floor at high volumes, or a 30ft deep dance floor and everyone else just mingling about?

What are the subs?

Any weight or dimension limitations on the tops?

Dustin Coval

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

Subs are KW181's.  Happy with them for now.  I'm leaning toward JBL SRX812p's to be a good fit but considering others.  Has anyone compared these JBL's to K12's side-by-side?

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »

Subs are KW181's.  Happy with them for now.  I'm leaning toward JBL SRX812p's to be a good fit but considering others.  Has anyone compared these JBL's to K12's side-by-side?

Well, considering a budget wasn't mentioned on the initial post, Go with L'Acoustics X15HiQ active 2-way - quite possibly the absolute best active wedge/powered top I've ever had the pleasure of working with. And only weight in at 46lbs. :)
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 11:07:17 PM »

Is there a particular reason you won't state your budget?

Dustin Coval

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »

I'm looking around $1k or so per cab.  (Won't be using them often enough to justify $2k-$3K+ per cabinet..i'm not doing large festivals here)

Here are a few I have narrowed down in this price range...feel free to comment.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx812p#.WlggFDdG270

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/d-line/hd-32-a-mk4

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2592

Yamaha DSR112    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/dsr_series/specs.html#product-tabs

Again.. whatever i get will be used with KW181 subs (for now)

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »

DSR’s are good match sonically and pricewise to your KW181. I had several of those subs and was able to cover some good size rooms with 1 over 1, but the DSR’s had no problem keeping up 1 over 2 either. IMO, both of those boxes are the best at what they do in their price range.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »

Yes - and there is no comparison. However, I have not compared the K2 series with the SRX but unless they are many steps up from the first series, there is still no comparison.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

I use the rcf HD32 mk4 over rcf sub 8004, crossed at 90Hz, a lot. I think my HD's have a design fault: I have NEVER seen the limiter light up in them... ;)

All kidding aside: the big CD, with the 800Hz crossover, makes a lot of difference. You should try them.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »

I'm looking around $1k or so per cab. 

Again.. whatever i get will be used with KW181 subs (for now)
Unless you're using and external DSP/crossover then make sure the top you get has a built in high pass that will work well with the KW181. The JBL has internal DSP (which is likely the most flexible) and the Yamaha has a HPF switch. I don't think the RCF does and I'm not sure about the EV.

I'm sure all of the above models will outrun the subs if you ask them to.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

You are right, Patrick

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 05:10:21 AM »

...A couple of months ago or so, RCF also introduced the new NX models, which are basically a wooden version of their Art732 and 745 models (same components, same poweramp, enhanced DSP with FIR processing)...

Sorry to dig up a 7 month old thread, but where can I get more info on this NX model? ^^^ (Nothing on their website about it that I have found.)
Member since 2005.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »

Sorry to dig up a 7 month old thread, but where can I get more info on this NX model? ^^^ (Nothing on their website about it that I have found.)

https://www.rcf.it/products/pro-sound/nx-series

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

https://www.rcf.it/products/pro-sound/nx-series

Oh, Hell's Bells!!! No wonder I didn't see it.  ::)

I went from Google straight to the Live Sound page, here...https://www.rcf.it/en_US//products/live-sound/art-7-series

That's what I get for making posts before I've had my morning coffee. Thanks for the wake-up call.
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.