ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LED's for room lighting  (Read 18022 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: LED's for room lighting
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

The Amazon 7x10w pars mentioned earlier are great - I have 12 of them.
I prefer them to my Blizzard Q12 for dimming smoothness, weight and footprint.
Downside to the less expensive lamps - My Blizzards are brighter and I use them for slightly bigger stages and they are metal housing - the cheaper ones are plastic..
However, those generic 7x10w lamps are great for uplighting so I agree would work very well for the OP. Mine have lasted well for about 2 years now.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »

Research is showing me that cheap lights are going to have noisy fans and poor quality control. I have a totally different concept about lighting than I have for audio. I would never dream of researching a cheap speaker for a job but here I am scouring the net and watching youtube reviews of cheap lights.
I'll keep looking. Not in any rush.

John L Nobile

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »

The Amazon 7x10w pars mentioned earlier are great - I have 12 of them.
I prefer them to my Blizzard Q12 for dimming smoothness, weight and footprint.
Downside to the less expensive lamps - My Blizzards are brighter and I use them for slightly bigger stages and they are metal housing - the cheaper ones are plastic..
However, those generic 7x10w lamps are great for uplighting so I agree would work very well for the OP. Mine have lasted well for about 2 years now.

Thanks for a positive note. How loud are the fans in those LEDs Debbie?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Thanks for a positive note. How loud are the fans in those LEDs Debbie?

To be fair John, the fans are a bit noisier than the Blizzards - another downside I probably should have mentioned - but I have never noticed the fan noise so didn't even think of it. Once the lamps are positioned and running and everything else is going on, I never hear them - even when the music stops or before it starts....
In my living room with complete silence, then yes- I can hear the fans. On stage, or at a wedding (up lighting) I do not hear the fans.

A lot of folks have said the fans in the PRX700 series speakers are noisy but I've never noticed my PRX718xlf fans either.......
It's all relative I suppose and if our business was usually done in a very  quiet environment, maybe it would be an issue but until I am asked to provide SR in the local library, I won't worry about the fan noise - LOL !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »

Research is showing me that cheap lights are going to have noisy fans and poor quality control. I have a totally different concept about lighting than I have for audio. I would never dream of researching a cheap speaker for a job but here I am scouring the net and watching youtube reviews of cheap lights.
I'll keep looking. Not in any rush.

I agree.... I like good quality PA equipment and wouldn't dream of purchasing the cheapest gear I could find - YET when it comes to lights I feel very differently. The chinese Pars might not get the check up on the way out the door but if they arrive working- they usually stay working at least for long enough to recoup the investment and more!....
If a lamp fails - which happened to me one time with a  cheap brand, then it just fails - everything else stays working. So on that particular occasion I quickly removed the lamp from the DMX chain ( it was flickering so I couldn't leave it on) and was down to 7 instead of 8 lamps - no-one noticed. I replaced it when I got home and it hasn't happened since. - Oh and BTW, that lamp was only about $35 but  I wrote to the seller and he sent me a replacement board which I switched out and it works again.

At important shows, I'll take the Blizzards just to be safe but in the local bars, the cheapies work fine and save weight.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »

John,

If the minimal (IMO) sound noise is that big of a concern, I'll try and grab the 3x sets of LED's I have and do a SPL test/video this week for you.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

John,

If the minimal (IMO) sound noise is that big of a concern, I'll try and grab the 3x sets of LED's I have and do a SPL test/video this week for you.

Thanks but don't go to any trouble. Plan is just to buy one and test it. They're cheap enough and if it doesn't work for me, I'll give it to bar staff to dress up their portable bars. They like playing with the old ones I gave them.

Steve Garris

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »

There is a new model of the cheap Chinese led's I am testing right now. It is in the same lightweight plastic housing, but uses different led's.

They housing has IEC power in, Edison out, and they come with a 4 ft power cord, so perfect for tree mounting. The led's are larger in diameter, and the colors are RBGAUV. Same noisy fan, and 2 of the 8 purchased didn't work properly out of the box. The vendor is sending 2 replacements - don't have to return the others. I had to write my own instruction manual, as the one that came with them was incorrect. I'll post a short review on these here next week.

Cheap Chinese lights at work:

Steve Garris

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »

This is the eBay link. They let us have them for $54 each. Please note that the picture is not the light you will receive per my previous post.

One more thing about these is they fixed the sound active programming. On the cheaper RBGW models, the light would flash on them off at every beat, so it looked more like a strobe. These new lights stay on between beats, so you could effectively use them without a controller.

https://goo.gl/xgrhwx

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »

This is the eBay link. They let us have them for $54 each. Please note that the picture is not the light you will receive per my previous post.

One more thing about these is they fixed the sound active programming. On the cheaper RBGW models, the light would flash on them off at every beat, so it looked more like a strobe. These new lights stay on between beats, so you could effectively use them without a controller.

https://goo.gl/xgrhwx
All of my cheapies stay on in sound to light setting. I don't believe I've owned one yet that doesn't.
Interesting that they appear to have increased the wattage from 10w LEDs to 15w. That makes a difference!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.