ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LED's for room lighting  (Read 18066 times)

John L Nobile

LED's for room lighting
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

Need some recommendations as lighting is not my forte. Got a request to look into getting some room lights. LED's on the floor to make the walls look pretty for weddings/conventions etc. Non critical and they won't be travelling. Cheap is the key but they do need some power as the room has 35 -40 foot ceiling.

I found this. Seems to have the same power on paper as my Rush MH-2's which are very bright and as a bonus, they move.

LINK

May not be the best solution since the fan probably makes noise.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:09:37 PM by Mac Kerr »

Steve Garris

Re: LED's for room lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

Need some recommendations as lighting is not my forte. Got a request to look into getting some room lights. LED's on the floor to make the walls look pretty for weddings/conventions etc. Non critical and they won't be travelling. Cheap is the key but they do need some power as the room has 35 -40 foot ceiling.

I found this. Seems to have the same power on paper as my Rush MH-2's which are very bright and as a bonus, they move.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lightess-Lights-Moving-Multicolor-Lighting/dp/B07413X62G/ref=sr_1_194_sspa?s=musical-instruments&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1515180071&sr=1-194-spons&keywords=led+light&psc=1

May not be the best solution since the fan probably makes noise.

I have some of those in my band lighting setup. They are great disco dance lights but not well suited for uplighting or wall accent lighting. I suggest a simple led par light in lieu of anything that moves. The wedding DJ guys use battery powered lights to avoid the power cords. And fan noise can and will be an issue. My cheap pars all have a noisy fan so I would not use them for weddings.

Here are some cheap samples of battery powered lights:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-6-18W-RGBWAUV-6-in-1-Wireless-DMX512-IR-Battery-Power-Led-Par-Free-Shipping-/252412086786?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

https://www.ebay.com/p/Chauvet-DJ-Wedge-Tri-LED-RGB-DMX-Truss-Uplight-Wash-Light-Stage-Remote/1713343345

This wall wash light is corded, but might suit your needs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wall-Washer-Lighting-23-5-Inch-Outdoor-Waterproof-Remote-RGB-LED-Stage-Lighting/253345429435?hash=item3afc9077bb:g:IgAAAOSw3RZaTcnl

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »

These are my favorite insane low cost fixture. I lit up the floor of a gym with 8x of these to low reading levels & crowd wash from 40ft.

The only annoyance is they have IEC power out not edison :(

Also, obviously for the price you'll get batch to batch variations. Get as many as you need at one time so you don't have as many variations (color, strobe, dimming curve, fan noise, build construction, etc).

I have 16x bought 8 and 8; love them for super cheap stuff. but need to get battery powered for ease of use.

70w RGBW 7x10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTQ2ZNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alternatively, buy from this guy. 1yr warranty parts for life. Decent fixtures.

https://www.burrightlights.com/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:01:48 AM »

These are my favorite insane low cost fixture. I lit up the floor of a gym with 8x of these to low reading levels & crowd wash from 40ft.

The only annoyance is they have IEC power out not edison :(

Also, obviously for the price you'll get batch to batch variations. Get as many as you need at one time so you don't have as many variations (color, strobe, dimming curve, fan noise, build construction, etc).

I have 16x bought 8 and 8; love them for super cheap stuff. but need to get battery powered for ease of use.

70w RGBW 7x10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTQ2ZNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alternatively, buy from this guy. 1yr warranty parts for life. Decent fixtures.

https://www.burrightlights.com/

My main light show consists of those very lights. They are great for rock tribute bands, with their bright, 25 degree beam. But I don't recommend them for his use as they have a very loud fan in each unit. They're too noisy for weddings IMO.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »

My main light show consists of those very lights. They are great for rock tribute bands, with their bright, 25 degree beam. But I don't recommend them for his use as they have a very loud fan in each unit. They're too noisy for weddings IMO.

Weird, I've never felt the fans in mine were very loud (not dead quiet-but not loud). I'll have to measure them sometime. I expect somewhere around 40 dBA.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »

Weird, I've never felt the fans in mine were very loud (not dead quiet-but not loud). I'll have to measure them sometime. I expect somewhere around 40 dBA.

Those lights look like they'd be right for the gig but the fan noise could be an issue. The room is large so at 40dBA, you'd never hear it.

I'll probably just order 1 of a fixture to test out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 04:43:04 PM »

Check also the refresh rate of PWM. I've once almost bought moving heads similar to the ones in the first post, but the refresh rate was too slow. I've recorded the light with my DSLR camera and the video contained running horizontal stripes. Most probably you don't want that for wedding rooms :)

Note: PWM rate is not a problem if you only use full power for each primary color (R/G/B).  If you use colors that have each R/G/B either at 0% or 100%, PWM does not matter. However,  when you start to dim the colors, the stripes may appear.

google keywords: "pwm led video flicker"

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 05:30:53 PM »

I’ll go against the grain on this and vote for a variant of the Chauvet SlimPar Pro.  Decent output, runs silent, no flicker problems that I’ve run into yet, and reasonable dimming for its price.  I don’t personally own any of the cheaper Generic Chinese units, but from the decent sample size I’ve used, enough have had issues (fans/choppy dimming/flicker/overall reliability) that unless it’s a single-use thing I wouldn’t look to anything less than a SlimPar Pro.  Just my experience, and I know many here have excellent luck with the cheaper fixtures too.  Good luck!

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »

Found this on eBay.

LINK

They look like the ones that Nathan suggested but they're 12 watt bulbs. They also have a 10 watt version. Cheaper than dirt. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:10:24 PM by Mac Kerr »

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

I’ll go against the grain on this and vote for a variant of the Chauvet SlimPar Pro.  Decent output, runs silent, no flicker problems that I’ve run into yet, and reasonable dimming for its price.  I don’t personally own any of the cheaper Generic Chinese units, but from the decent sample size I’ve used, enough have had issues (fans/choppy dimming/flicker/overall reliability) that unless it’s a single-use thing I wouldn’t look to anything less than a SlimPar Pro.  Just my experience, and I know many here have excellent luck with the cheaper fixtures too.  Good luck!

My good lights are above the stage. These are lights for room ambiance that I won't be having anything to do with once they're purchased and I've set them up. The only spec I got for this was "cheap" and I've got a 100' x 100' x 35' room to make pretty.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.