ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Duty cycle spec interpretation  (Read 6280 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Duty cycle spec interpretation
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »

ADJ says it is to prevent the heater from melting.

Lovely.  While I find that hard to believe if the unit's thermostat is working correctly, there's your answer.  I take it they didn't tell you how long to let it cool for?

I guess I just struggle to see what's so magical about 6 hours...  The heating/cooling cycle on most units usually reaches its equilibrium of sorts within 10-15 minutes or so.  Certainly within the hour!  I'm inclined to think it's more along the lines of what you've already suggested - if the budget circuitry cooks you can't blame them for the unit burning your house/venue down.  Or...these units don't have a long lifespan to begin with and the duty cycle either helps limp the unit past warranty or is cited as the scapegoat if you return a dead unit 2 months later after 16hrs/day of use. 

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »

Lovely.  While I find that hard to believe if the unit's thermostat is working correctly, there's your answer.  I take it they didn't tell you how long to let it cool for?

I guess I just struggle to see what's so magical about 6 hours...  The heating/cooling cycle on most units usually reaches its equilibrium of sorts within 10-15 minutes or so.  Certainly within the hour!  I'm inclined to think it's more along the lines of what you've already suggested - if the budget circuitry cooks you can't blame them for the unit burning your house/venue down.  Or...these units don't have a long lifespan to begin with and the duty cycle either helps limp the unit past warranty or is cited as the scapegoat if you return a dead unit 2 months later after 16hrs/day of use.

I did ask why Chauvet and Antari had no such requirement.  "We have been in business longer and know better."  I asked about installing an over temp switch, but quick to say that would void the warranty.  At that point I was kind of done.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »

At that point I was kind of done.

I would be too.  Most of my experience has been with the Rosco and Jem machines, but also have some of the older Chauvet Hurricane foggers and have used a few ADJ machines over the years.  I've still never heard of a case where you can't run a machine all day so long as it's got enough fluid to do so (nor have I ever killed a machine doing that). 

Sorry to hear this happened to you, and what's worse is that their service team was less than helpful.  I'm soon to be in the market for some new semi-budget machines myself and will definitely be counting out ADJ!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.