ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: s6l Gain Sharing. Why does it work so well?  (Read 5076 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: s6l Gain Sharing. Why does it work so well?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »

I know this has seriously swerved, but I'm curious how different resolutions track on a complex waveform, like music.
I can see that with a regular waveform such as sine or square, it doesn't take many data points to find the unique replicant.
Maxwell's equations.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Frank Koenig

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 11:23:59 pm »

Maxwell's equations.

With all due respect, Jay, I think the sampling theorem and some information theory would be a better place to start. (Yes, I know you were kidding.) This is not an electromagnetics problem after all, although electrical devices are usually employed to digitize sound.

The thing y'all need to grok is that for all intents and purposes the quantization noise of pulse code modulation is independent of signal level. In this regard it is analogous to the noise in a linear analog system. As the signal gets smaller the noise stays the same. For systems, as we deal with, with large numbers of bits we can disregard the noise contribution of clipping -- don't let it clip. When I studied this stuff ~40 years ago a great deal of theory was expended on the case of systems with just a few bits where the optimum SNR was achieved with a non-zero amount of clipping. For most, if not all, of our purposes it's sufficient to assume that the quantization noise is 6 dB per bit below full code. For 24 bit convertors the noise is dominated by the analog electronics.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 11:37:16 pm »

Maxwell's equations.

My equations?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:08:30 am by Kevin Maxwell »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2018, 07:46:32 am »

With all due respect, Jay, I think the sampling theorem and some information theory would be a better place to start. (Yes, I know you were kidding.)

--Frank

In hindsight, I suspect citing Fourier would have been more accurate snark, but lately I have been struck by how much engineering is selecting situations where you don't have to muck around with Maxwell ( which will let you describe the situation but is not necessarily easily solvable).

But I do like your brief but clear description of the sampling process.

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2018, 07:46:32 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.