ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC  (Read 5245 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »

So, we are getting ready to upgrade our movers.  I am interested in getting 8 of the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC.  The are basically a 350 with a brighter LED.  We will be using these mainly for festivals and as secondary movers for full blown concerts.  We do quite a bit of work on the SL100, 24' x 12' and the SL250, 32' x 24'.  Inside, most of our stages are 32' x 24. 

I am interested in knowing if anyone has had any direct experience with the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC and what you thought of them.  I am also interested in knowing how they compare to the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 350.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:43 PM »

So, we are getting ready to upgrade our movers.  I am interested in getting 8 of the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC.  The are basically a 350 with a brighter LED.  We will be using these mainly for festivals and as secondary movers for full blown concerts.  We do quite a bit of work on the SL100, 24' x 12' and the SL250, 32' x 24'.  Inside, most of our stages are 32' x 24. 

I am interested in knowing if anyone has had any direct experience with the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 355 IRC and what you thought of them.  I am also interested in knowing how they compare to the Chauvet Intimidator Beam 350.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
I haven't used them directly, but the Rogue line has been great.  I'd be worried about investing in DJ/bar band level movers.  The SlimParPro static washes are decent, but the expectations of cheap, static wash fixtures and pro movers is very different. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »

I'd be worried about investing in DJ/bar band level movers. 

Caleb, you're absolutely right in what you are saying. We are looking at smaller festivals and corporate shows.  The corporate will give us a high return on investment.  Basically, 5 corporate events and these are paid for.  What I didn't put in this post was that we have a host of Mac 250, Mac 550 and Mac 600 in our inventory, which no one has had an issue with for our larger shows.  So with already having the Macs in our inventory, I am looking at something that will be used maybe 10 times a year that will work and work well, but not break the bank.  We are of course going to get the cases with these from the onset.

Thanks
Bill 

schnakesound.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »

Caleb, you're absolutely right in what you are saying. We are looking at smaller festivals and corporate shows.  The corporate will give us a high return on investment.  Basically, 5 corporate events and these are paid for.  What I didn't put in this post was that we have a host of Mac 250, Mac 550 and Mac 600 in our inventory, which no one has had an issue with for our larger shows.  So with already having the Macs in our inventory, I am looking at something that will be used maybe 10 times a year that will work and work well, but not break the bank.  We are of course going to get the cases with these from the onset.

Thanks
Bill
Having talked personally with moving light individuals at Chauvet Pro - the Rogue series is the minimum I'd consider, if it were my money.  This isn't a slight against Chauvet at all, and their DJ arm is doing well at competitive price points. 

Rogue fixtures could be used at some larger events to get ROI up. 

I may be in the minority here, but I try to look at needs of each event much more than number of events per year.  Bar band or DJ level events need a certain quality vs cost level, corporate a totally different level.  Quantity of uses per year is more to figure depreciation, and buy vs cross rent.  10x a year - maybe cross renting makes more sense. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »

Rogue fixtures could be used at some larger events to get ROI up. 

I may be in the minority here, but I try to look at needs of each event much more than number of events per year.  Bar band or DJ level events need a certain quality vs cost level, corporate a totally different level.  Quantity of uses per year is more to figure depreciation, and buy vs cross rent.  10x a year - maybe cross renting makes more sense. 

Caleb, I do appreciate your input.  The reason I am not interested in the Rogue line is that we already have a larger Martin mover system.  I am only interested in these lights for shows that are not able to or willing to spend the money for the Martin rig.  The Rogue line is three times the price and doesn't fit my needs for this system.  If I didn't have the Martin rig already that would be a different decision to make.

We are only going to be using these 10 - 12 maybe 15 times a year, but by the time I rent them and pickup along with taking back they are paid for.  And it is just one more thing that I can cross rent  or dry rent in my inventory.

As I said you are 100 percent right if my goal is the same as yours, however my goal isn't and that is the only reason that I am not looking at the Rogue line.

Thanks
Bill

schnakesound.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »

Hi Bill, so just a question here - when you say lighting “Full-Blown Concerts”, are you talking about using your Martin rig?  An Intimidator-class fixture might look okay sharing space with those lights, but it would likely be disappointing if used in a 120K light rig or put up against legit Sharpys, Mac Vipers...the stuff I’d expect to see at a full blown concert. 

I have yet to see the specific fixture in question (hence I’d been holding back at responding since you understandably ask for input from people with direct experience only), but my take is that this fixture will fit nicely in line with the other units from the Intimidator Series.  A 100w LED with a 3 degree beam won’t be overly impressive, but on a small stage such as what you mention I think it’d hold up about as well as can be expected.  Have you also considered the Intimidator Hybrid 140SR?  It can also do a 3 degree beam, but I’d take that 140w discharge lamp over a 100w LED any day.  The Hybrid is also far more versatile and can probably run double duty for your Mac 250s if needed, and in beam mode shouldn’t have issue cutting through your Mac 550/600s.  They cost roughly 50% more, but I’d personally at least consider it given the additional output and added versatility of the unit.  Hope this helps!   

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »

Hi Bill, so just a question here - when you say lighting “Full-Blown Concerts”, are you talking about using your Martin rig? 

Have you also considered the Intimidator Hybrid 140SR?  It can also do a 3 degree beam, but I’d take that 140w discharge lamp over a 100w LED any day.  The Hybrid is also far more versatile and can probably run double duty for your Mac 250s if needed, and in beam mode shouldn’t have issue cutting through your Mac 550/600s.

The Intimidators are only for smaller shows.  The Martins will be for the larger shows. 

I will take a look at the Intimidator Hybrid 140SR. 

This all started by looking at the Intimidator 350.  For small jobs the Intimidator 350 is what most people around here are using so I am looking at cross rental and dry rental.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »

Caleb, I do appreciate your input.  The reason I am not interested in the Rogue line is that we already have a larger Martin mover system.  I am only interested in these lights for shows that are not able to or willing to spend the money for the Martin rig.  The Rogue line is three times the price and doesn't fit my needs for this system.  If I didn't have the Martin rig already that would be a different decision to make.

We are only going to be using these 10 - 12 maybe 15 times a year, but by the time I rent them and pickup along with taking back they are paid for.  And it is just one more thing that I can cross rent  or dry rent in my inventory.

As I said you are 100 percent right if my goal is the same as yours, however my goal isn't and that is the only reason that I am not looking at the Rogue line.

Thanks
Bill

We replaced our Mac 250/500/600 with Rogues.  Not looking back and our LD is very happy to not be repairing movers after every show.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

We replaced our Mac 250/500/600 with Rogues.  Not looking back and our LD is very happy to not be repairing movers after every show.
Thanks Tim.  Rogues are just not in the budget for this year.  I do need something to improve our lights that will be useful in the future, but I do have to stay in my budget.

Thanks
Bill

schnakesound.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »

Bill,

I just sent you a message if you're still looking.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »

Bill,

I just sent you a message if you're still looking.
Received and Replied.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »

Thanks Tim.  Rogues are just not in the budget for this year.  I do need something to improve our lights that will be useful in the future, but I do have to stay in my budget.

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill, I fully understand how the cheque book works.  For us the Martins became a maintenance issue - the expense of parts (some of which are salvage/used, no new avail), repair tech, down time and the occasional discount to client for something that failed at the show - all those factors combined with less artistic demand simply made it time for us to move on.  The lower current draw, universal mains voltage, and network connectivity were the icing on the cake.

Chauvet is another brand that I'd *previously* held in the same esteem as pre-X32 Behringer.  Rogues and Mavericks and Battens have changed my opinion.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

Hey Bill, I fully understand how the cheque book works.  For us the Martins became a maintenance issue - the expense of parts (some of which are salvage/used, no new avail), repair tech, down time and the occasional discount to client for something that failed at the show - all those factors combined with less artistic demand simply made it time for us to move on.  The lower current draw, universal mains voltage, and network connectivity were the icing on the cake.

Chauvet is another brand that I'd *previously* held in the same esteem as pre-X32 Behringer.  Rogues and Mavericks and Battens have changed my opinion.
Tim, all good points.  We are going to be updating the 'A' light system next year.  We still have a couple of sound things I need to get squared away this year.  The Chauvets will see plenty of dry rental and cross rental and will work great for our 'DJ'/small shows.  We will always have clients who can't afford to rent the Martin rig we will put together next year. That is the space where these lights will fit into our business model.

Thanks for your advice.  I always like hearing your input.

Bill

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.