ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-voltage Distro  (Read 6430 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Multi-voltage Distro
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »

Yes, you can get distro assemblies with both 240v and 120v recepticles. Motion Labs is one reliable brand; Indu-Electric is another. Both make listed, code compliant devices. Whether or not they have a standard model that meets your needs is another question. You might need a custom panel to give you what you want.

Whirlwind makes all kinds of custom rack-mount distro panels with both 120-volt and 240-volt receptacles. You can get Edison or PowerCon outlets on the 120-volt side, as well as a variety of twist-lock and feed-thru configurations. See http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/distro/plr-distros for the catalog.   

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »

As for ML, WhirlWind, EMG, etc- for an assembly to be UL listed, they have to submit the overall design of (the distro, rackpack, etc) to the UL people for certification. So, they're less apt to do truly custom work (as in a RackPack that takes a special connector in or creates a special mix of outputs, beyond what they already have publicized on their website), since the UL-certification would be cost prohibitive for a one-off or limited production run item.
I am not a UL expert, but I just submitted an order to Whirlwind for several power distribution items, none of which are specifically listed on their catalog (different combinations of IO than stock modules), but all will be UL-listed.  Apparently they don't have to submit each detailed config to UL if they follow certain construction parameters.

On a related note, Whirlwind's new SKB case distros might be good options for a lot of people - half the price of a rack distro and 20% of the weight.  No main breaker and no metering, but a nice intermediate step between spider boxes and full-bore rack distros.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/distro?product-family=plr-skb

Pierre Foster

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I just need to look at my power needs differently. What I had in mind would likely have to be a custom build so it's back to the drawing board for me.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I just need to look at my power needs differently. What I had in mind would likely have to be a custom build so it's back to the drawing board for me.
As I posted above, custom isn't necessarily prohibitive, assuming what you want is a legal configuration.  Call up Whirlwind and/or MotionLabs and I'm sure they can both help you.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »

As I posted above, custom isn't necessarily prohibitive, assuming what you want is a legal configuration.  Call up Whirlwind and/or MotionLabs and I'm sure they can both help you.

Our company recently had a custom distro built by MotionLabs and i was SHOCKED at how cheap it was.  I've used their stuff for decades but i've always thought it was much more expensive than it actually is.

Granted, it was someone else paying for it.  They might not have seen it precisely as i did....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.