ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: single phase vs 3 phase rac pac power load for amps  (Read 6609 times)

Matt Greiner

Re: single phase vs 3 phase rac pac power load for amps
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »

I will look into that table as a reference point, thank you Tom. For clarification this is not a 5 wire configuration, it is single phase.  It would be two or three depending on if the neutral counts.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »

I will look into that table as a reference point, thank you Tom. For clarification this is not a 5 wire configuration, it is single phase.  It would be two or three depending on if the neutral counts.

Also, consider both the actual expected load and the distance. I use 10-4 for my amp rack but it is only 10’ and I know I never exceed 20a (have run on 2 20a circuits).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »

10 gauge work for the 30 amps?  Or should I up it to 8 gauge?

I *really* like #8 for 30 Amp circuits if the cable is over 25 ft.  I routinely over-size conductor specifications to minimize voltage drop.

Our arena rigs have #8-5 loomed with the drive snakes for FOH power.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »

For all those times you take out the XL3 with dual hot PSUs and two double wide racks of outboard.  When's the last time you put a current clamp on the power lines going to FOH?

I *really* like #8 for 30 Amp circuits if the cable is over 25 ft.  I routinely over-size conductor specifications to minimize voltage drop.

Our arena rigs have #8-5 loomed with the drive snakes for FOH power.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »

For all those times you take out the XL3 with dual hot PSUs and two double wide racks of outboard.  When's the last time you put a current clamp on the power lines going to FOH?

It was the PM4000, but close enough!  These days it could be a run of 12-3 and eventually it might be just that.  The 250' of 8-5 might become amp rack power cables for our next rig....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »

These days it could be a run of 12-3 and eventually it might be just that. 
The large (for me) power distro order I just placed is largely for L14-20 distribution (and a couple Cali's).  What I like about L14-20 is you can use 12/4 wire, get either 2 120v or one 208v circuit per cord, and no downstream circuit breakers needed. 

IMO the various 30A standards are outdated - pretty much anything that requires more than 20A at 120v runs better at 208v anyway, and the 30A size is awkward for a lot of things - not large enough for two heavily loaded 20A circuits per leg, additional cable size requirements, large/expensive breakout boxes, etc. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.