ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.  (Read 33724 times)

Geert Friedhof

Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »

OK, me again.

I am planning for next outdoor season. As always i have about 35-40 gigs outdoors. This year the coverage area will be a lot bigger than last year: about 75 feet deep compared to about 50 feet last year. I'm gonna need some more horsepower. Let's say about >130dB broadband cont. But i want to keep it a one man operation, with fast load in and -out, and as little lifting as possible. People are mostly seated.

As i am a RCF shop i am looking at: TTL6-a tops with Sub 9007-as per side.

The 9007 (roughly w120xh70xd80cm) will be on a DIY wheeled cart (80x120 cm), with the front facing forward. This will give me a height of about 85 cm (70cm+plywood+wheels). The TTL6-a (h110xw37xd47cm, 53kg ) will be on its face on top of the sub for (short distance) transport. That way i only have to tilt the top for a stack height of about 195cm. Occasionally i would have to tilt the sub too for greater height, or stack 2x sub 8004, and use the 9007 for infra, but that would be a two person job.

I have been looking for other systems which would deliver enough oomph over this distance, but i haven't found any which are as easy to set up. I also want to stay away from dash-arrays, for hassle, price and sound quality reasons.

My question: Have i overlooked something? Are there other systems i can look at?
Keep in mind that i am located in north-western europe.

Edit: Forgot application:

Mostly live music ranging from singersong, country, blues to full rock/funk/reggae bands, with the occasional DJ.

BTW: Have i mentioned that i am lazy as hell, or did you guys/girls already figure that out?   :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:32:24 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
Re: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »

We use a Fulcrum Acoustic FA22AC over a TS215 or TS221 per side.  The FA22AC goes on a subwoofer pole and balanced tilters.  Not sure how much oomph you need, but this system works for most events we do. 

The TS221 is heavy but I can lay to down and get it back up onto it's casters by myself.  The TS215 is easy.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »

hi,

depends on your application.

for speech and the occasional (compressed) audio from video playback you should have a look at seeburg gl24 in its various models. also has a good-looking companion bass cabinet, and to reach farther, you can add a gl16 on top of it all, which makes it the tallest one-man stackable system i'm aware of.

cheers, happy new year! thomas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »

Hi Geert, I can’t really offer any concise input other than that I’m in a similar position as you are right now, and there’s a thread I started back in September that might offer you some reasonable insight as well.

I’ve been considering the TTL6-a as well for similar applications, but having yet to hear the box I’m still not certain it’s the right fit for me.  My current mains are 100 pounds, and even the slight step up to the ~115lbs of the TTL6-a might be too much for me to handle.  I’ve considered doing exactly what you mention with custom carts and laying things down to minimize the lifting, but my concern is that the logistics of moving the box are too confining to warrant the $7000/ea sticker price.  I also question if their output is worth that amount compared to other reasonable choices costing 1/2 to 1/3rd the price.

My current focus in on the Fulcrum Acoustic products after having several long discussions with a well-respected member here, but I have yet to hear those boxes as well.  Best of luck!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

@ThomasA: I don't see how i can easily stack those.

@Jason: Fulcrum is not available here.

@Jeff: That thread would be http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164961.0.html
Unfortunately JTR isn't available  over here, and what would be the easy Danley stack?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:28:00 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »

Fulcrum is very nice, also the Dave Gunnes designed Presonus stuff is really good bang for the buck.

A pair of EAW KF394 might do the trick, sounds really good. I wish EAW would make a touring version of the QX-range, it’s on my top five favorite loudspeakers-list.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »

@Helge: Oops... Totally forgot EAW still exists ;). Gonna have a look. I have looked at the d&b Q series (2nd hand) for a brief moment.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »

what would be the easy Danley stack?
The SM80 top and TH118 sub would easily do that area, and is an easy 1 man setup.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

@Jeff: That tread would be http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164961.0.html
Unfortunately JTR isn't available  over here, and what would be the easy Danley stack?

You got it!  I would have linked it for you but I’m mobile today and aren’t an expert on advanced posting with mobile devices!  The portable Danley option would be multiple TH118s with the SM80.  As I’m sure you know it’s a quite popular option here.  Larger options exist such as the DBH218 with SH46s, but now you’re back to the 100 pound plus speakers.  Again, as a major disclaimer - I have yet to hear any of these boxes.  I’m just chiming in since I’m going through a similar situation myself and hope to help you at least narrow your options.  Have you tried lifting a 100+ pound speaker?  A lot comes down to the ergonomics of it, but given that I do such things solo right now I’d really like to go lighter both for safety and for convenience.  I’m not getting any younger!  Lifting carts and other tools are a nice help but I’m not sure I’d want to own equipment that I couldn’t really move single-handedly if needed.  Just my two cents of course!     

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

I'm not getting any younger either, and don't want to lift even a 50 pound speaker. I have noticed something Newton and Einstein never included in their formulas: Gravity is relative to time: At load-in one can lift a speaker easily on its pole, but at load-out said speaker is much harder to get of that pole. Might also be daylight dependent. Maybe quantum-mechanics, or the LHC people at CERN will one day proof my theory.

Hence my search for a system with NO lifting. I think i can manage tilting a 100 pound speaker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:37:24 PM by Geert Friedhof »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.