ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68661 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2018, 05:34:13 PM »

I've watched this thread from the start to see how Yamaha responds.  I love the sound of my QSC HPR112i speakers, but they're rather heavy at 60 lbs.  The DSR appears to be a good replacement box, though I wish they had side handles.  I'm holding off until I see how this plays out.

I was going to buy a pair of used HPR112i speakers recently and called QSC support to ask about replacement parts.  They had replacement amps, replacement drivers, and even compression driver formers.   Super impressive for a box this old.

The guy wanted $400 a box for them in average condition which was a little more than I wanted to pay, so I did not get them.  If parts were not available I would not even consider them.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

I was going to buy a pair of used HPR112i speakers recently and called QSC support to ask about replacement parts.  They had replacement amps, replacement drivers, and even compression driver formers.   Super impressive for a box this old.

The guy wanted $400 a box for them in average condition which was a little more than I wanted to pay, so I did not get them.  If parts were not available I would not even consider them.

$400 for an HPR112 in working condition is a good deal.

They are heavy, only real downside.

If they are still available can you pass along the lead. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »

FWIW: My 2018 plan is to switch over to active monitors....  I do own two QSC K8's (original series) that I use for wedding ceremony officiants' lav mic'ing.  I did have a problem with one of them a few years ago...I let my son use it for a function at his Fraternity in Boston... I brought it to ATR Treehouse in Providence, RI (a QSC repair site)and it was repaired under warranty plus I had it back in a week.  The cab has been bullet-proof since.

For my switch-over to actives I need 4 matching units.  I was going Yamaha but your fiasco with Yamaha service has nixed that idea. 
Hey, stuff breaks, I-get-it, but shoddy service and associated runaround.... is a deal breaker to me.

I guess that I'll go the QSC route.  At least I know that they stand behind their products.

I use the DSR's for wedges with my rig, but many clubs I work at have the K12's. I'm always impressed by the K12 as a monitor. Great output, lots of gain and the sound (set flat) really cuts through in the vocal range. Not a bad wedge IMO.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »

Tom,
Consider that QSC tests durability by throwing things off the roof of their 3d story building then tests to see if it still meets factory spec.  If not, its redesigned until it does.  Opinions about QSC sound quality differ but their reliability is often rated as the very best in the industry. I'm not shilling for them but they do stand apart in how they design and build gear.

The 'ol Dave Letterman trick.  ;D 
Durability is exactly why I'm a fan of QSC speakers.  At their price point—when they were current—HPRs were one of the better sounding boxes.  I prefer them over the KW series.  They never fail to impress, even when pushed extra hard.  To be fair, I was very impressed when I heard a pair of DSR15s in action at an outdoor event.  They sounded really good.  So, the important questions re Yamaha and the DSRs are 1) are they durable and 2) how responsive is Yamaha re service and warranty?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »

Durability is exactly why I'm a fan of QSC speakers.  At their price point—when they were current—HPRs were one of the better sounding boxes.  I prefer them over the KW series.  They never fail to impress, even when pushed extra hard.  To be fair, I was very impressed when I heard a pair of DSR15s in action at an outdoor event.  They sounded really good.  So, the important questions re Yamaha and the DSRs are 1) are they durable and 2) how responsive is Yamaha re service and warranty?

You must mean DXR15.... There is no DSR 15".
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »

I will say this about my DSR's and Yamaha, I have had them since May 2015 and they have been flawless till last June. So 2 years and probably in the neighborhood of 50-60 shows (I am  a weekend warrior). When mine went in June of last year I had it back in about 2 weeks. Yamaha was quick to approve the repairs. The second failure was on the first use of the repaired speaker. Again Yamaha was fast to Approve, but supposedly the board was on back order. I was very patient, 1) because I had a big show after the first failure and just went ahead and purchased another one, 2) My festival season had wound down.

I had not heard from the service center and he has been very responsive so I knew he still didn't have it. After I saw Deb's failure I emailed them and got a response 2 weeks later saying they had talked with the service center and they had received the board and it would be ready for pickup soon. It has been 10 days so I emailed Robert back last night and he approved a new speaker by 10am this morning. So as far as I am concerned they have made it right with me, but ill be 100% satisfied when the new speaker is in my possession. I won't give up on them that easily only because of how wonderful these speakers sound, they sound superior to my K10's in every way, the vocal clarity is amazing. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:04:03 PM by Kevin Bayersdorfer »

Kevin Bayersdorfer

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »

It's DSR115.
I have both.
The 15's work better as a stand alone, the 12's with subs.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2018, 08:39:04 PM »

I recently worked with an act that used DXR15 as monitors for the bass player.  As loud as his SVT was already I'm not sure why, but he "needs them."  He found the power alley and mostly stayed there.  There was no bass in the PA mix (except for a bit of subwoofer feed) in a 700 capacity room.  The DXR15 impressed me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.