ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68661 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2018, 10:52:29 PM »

Still, I agree.  I would think that Yamaha would want to nip this bad publicity in the bud and for the love of God and all that's holy, make Debbies world right and just ship the poor girl a speaker.

YES YES YES - for heavens sake - YES

Just to end on a good note, I love my DSR speakers.  They sound amazing.

YES YES YES - they really do (when they work  ;) )
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Pat Semeraro

« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »

one of my DSR112's wasn't working

Actually read all 18 pages of this thread... its difficult to not get angry on your behalf!

1) This is show gear - we are not talking about a home-use leaf blower.  This is a work tool. Show gear needs to work reliably and if it does fail, the failure needs to be treated by the manufacturer as the mission-critical issue that it is.
2) If a manufacturer has a lower "non-critical" tier of warranty support for prosumer gear, they need to state that clearly.
3) As a consumer we need to be realistic.  It is imperative to have a spare for something like a powered speaker.  Even Meyer UPAs can fail, it's the operators responsibility to be prepared.
4) We also have to be realistic about prosumer gear.  Open up a piece of pro gear and look inside at the brand of capacitors, brand of opamps, gauge of wire, presence of heat sinks, thickness of circuit board traces, number of screws holding it together, etc., then do the same with a prosumer piece.  Capacitors alone can tell much of the story.  The Nichicon/CDE/IC capacitors alone used in a  pro power amp can cost more than an entire amp module on a prosumer powered speaker. 
5) Continuing with #4, if you add up the cost of a good pair of passive tops (Think JBL SRX), good rack dsp (thinkDriverack 260 or better) two good quality power amps (Think CrestPro, QSC PowerLight) you'll find that JBL VP, EAW NT, Meyer UPA, etc. are reasonably priced.  Anything less expensive than that has to be full of compromises.  That doesn't mean prosumer is always a bad choice - quite the opposite!  I like the DSR112 and think it sounds distinctly better than other boxes in its price range but if the pro boxes fail, then certainly a DSR box will fail, guaranteed.  Its just a matter of when.

As a consumer you should NEVER EVER have to chase a manufacturer around to get them to honor a printed warranty.  Life is short and time is valuable.  Why would anyone support a manufacturer who believes your time has no value?  Why would anyone support a manufacturer that doesn't believe they owe you, without struggle, a working version of the item you paid for? 

The final point is that good rental houses "fleet" maintenance their gear, and during that maintenance quite often find the early markers of future failure.  (Loose connections, questionable wiring, speakers with cone/spider/voice coil/lead wire issues.  Hi frequency driver diaphragms are known to fatigue over their lifetime and should be replaced as scheduled maintenance, even if they seem to work fine.  (I used to replace every 5 years.)   Its possible that lots of prosumer gear is never treated to "fleet" maintenance, hence failures are discovered during sound check.

Maybe manufacturers could do a better job of helping consumers understand the maintenance needs of their gear?  That would potentially prevent a lot of heartbreak.

I actually considered the DSR112 for rental inventory and thought they sounded quite good, hinting at some of the qualities of professional boxes.  In particular, they didn't sound all jumbled together and in your face, like most plastic boxes with cheap drivers and heavy-handed dsp.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:50:00 PM by Pat Semeraro »

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »

All - as usual, thanks for the discussion and Pat your comments especially.

Debbie - I really hope you get satisfaction soon.   It just should not be as difficult as you have had it.

--Kevin

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »

There is a reason why certain companies have a strict rule who reprensants them.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »

No call today - day 1 ( or should I say day 78?) ...and so I patiently wait....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »

Oh well, it took the japanese about 20 years to produce a half decent car. It might take another 20 years to get their service up and running.

I have never been impressed by the yamaha service.

And i love the rev's they made.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:05 PM »

I almost feel like we should take up a collection and just buy Debbie a new speaker.
Then she can pour some lighter fluid on the offender, and post a video.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:28:18 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Al Poulin

« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »

No call today - day 1 ( or should I say day 78?) ...and so I patiently wait....

I got some excellent service from Yamaha Canada... While on one of my smaller Yorkville speaker stands, one of my DXR8s was knocked over and slammed to the floor. It was a 5 year old unit. Brought it to Long & Mcquade who wasn't sure it would be covered as it was not really Yamaha's fault, but they sent it out and sure enough I received it in roughly 2 weeks with a new woofer and no charge. Apparently, the magnet had actually completely seperated from the woofer! In my 5+ years of using DXR8s, DXR15s and DXS12 subs, this is the first time I needed service, so I was happy it was handled perfectly - although I would have understood if Yamaha would have not covered this particular repair...

Al   
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2018, 10:43:51 AM »

Please delete
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:13:25 PM by Chuck Simon »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

Still not heard back. I just sent a message through the Yamaha website with a link to this thread advising them that the slow erosion to Yamaha's reputation is something they might want to stop ASAP.

Bill??....... it might be time. I think I have been more than patient as next monday makes 12 weeks since it was 'repaired'  and 13 weeks since the speaker last worked. I would appreciate any help I can get at this point

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.