ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68671 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »

That stinks Debbie. I escalated mine through Email, took Yamaha 2 weeks to get back to me. They say they talked to my service tech and the new module is there and he should be getting it back to me soon. That was a week ago. So like you my original replacement failed on the first outing. So I am thinking there is something causing the modules to fail. Shorted speaker? Bad power supply? I don't know. I'll tell ya one thing if this second module fails I will be looking into some SRX tops

So far we don’t really know if the module on Debby’s is the failing part. It appears to be a case of do the easiest thing (muck with switch), then the next (electronics module) etc.  There does not seem to be any actual diagnosis here, just guessing. It is pretty clear to me that the tech is not very educated in repairing this model speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

So far we don’t really know if the module on Debby’s is the failing part. It appears to be a case of do the easiest thing (muck with switch), then the next (electronics module) etc.  There does not seem to be any actual diagnosis here, just guessing. It is pretty clear to me that the tech is not very educated in repairing this model speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed!
Proper repair diagnostics need to include WHY the failure has happened.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »

Agreed!
Proper repair diagnostics need to include WHY the failure has happened.

Unfortunately true diagnostic/troubleshooting is becoming a lost art.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »

So, I am a dsr112 user.  I have been using 6 as house or monitors for a couple of years without a hitch.  At the moment I am trying to sell some as I upgraded to RCF coaxial wedges.  This has scared off buyers who now seem to think these are junk and that yamaha service is a total failure.

Is that what we are really finding here?  Or is Debbie's experience an anomaly?  What do I tell buyers?

--Kevin

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »

So, I am a dsr112 user.  I have been using 6 as house or monitors for a couple of years without a hitch.  At the moment I am trying to sell some as I upgraded to RCF coaxial wedges.  This has scared off buyers who now seem to think these are junk and that yamaha service is a total failure.

Is that what we are really finding here?  Or is Debbie's experience an anomaly?  What do I tell buyers?

--Kevin

Yamaha probably has the same number of employees in the USA who handle the MI division as are in the USA pro division... with 1000x more customers and 5000x more product in the field.  For the many thousands of DSR speakers out there we're talking about the problems Debbie and a couple other people are reporting.

Debbie's local service center seems clueless about dealing with Yamaha and lacks experience with the DSR (that's probably an indication they don't service very many - lack of failures?).  Yamaha doesn't have the personnel resources to deal with things quickly.  It's not a good situation but the days of personal service from multinational concerns are already over.  If we want or need the level of attention provided by JTR, Fulcrum, Danley, BassBoss, etc we need to purchase and use their products.  The level of support provided by those and other small manufacturers is top notch partly because they're still small companies - you can get the owner or designer on the phone and resolve any issues quickly.

Like many here, I'm disappointed that Yamaha hasn't put the considerable weight of their operation into helping Debbie solve this publicized issue...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »

If every complaint made online that I have ever read was in itself a true refection of quality of product or company, then I'd NEVER purchase another thing in my life EVER!. Isolated incidences of issues like this are often just that - isolated and surely folks realize that.
I have personally seen very few problems with DSR's documented and that was one of the reasons I bought mine. I would hope that my experience is a rare one and that others do not have to go through the same craziness as me.
As I type this I am on hold with Yamaha in CA.........
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »

Just spoke with Desmond after a 23 minute hold who told me this will be escalated to the 'level 2 tech' dealing with this issue.
I insisted on a whole box replacement this time. Apparently someone will be calling me back......stay tuned.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »

Just spoke with Desmond after a 23 minute hold who told me this will be escalated to the 'level 2 tech' dealing with this issue.
I insisted on a whole box replacement this time. Apparently someone will be calling me back......stay tuned.

Hi Debbie,

They should honor your request after this long, frustrating series of events.

The lapses in communication from your local tech are also something Yamaha should check into.

A google search for Yamaha DSR112 failures brings up a number of PSW threads, with yours among them.

I would think Yamaha would want to staunch the bleeding on this, but maybe it’s not worth it to them - Which would be a pity.

I’ve been happy with the Yamaha gear I’ve owned, and the one time service was required, timeframes were accurately communicated, and I never felt like I had to chase them for a status.

When I got the gear returned, a complete list/ explanation of what was done returned with it... And we never had a problem with it after that.

Best of luck with this!

Bob Charest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does it make any sense to carry a spare amp module for the DSR112? Are they prohibitively expensive?

I know that this forum only represents a small slice of DSR112 users as a whole, but there does seem to be a high percentage of  failure in our little group - mostly centered around the amp module.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but does it make any sense to carry a spare amp module for the DSR112? Are they prohibitively expensive?

I know that this forum only represents a small slice of DSR112 users as a whole, but there does seem to be a high percentage of  failure in our little group - mostly centered around the amp module.
My speaker had a problem with the woofer.  I would also note that my problem was mostly insignificant, since it was audible only at high SPL at a single frequency.

I am not sure we can conclude that Debbie's DSR is failing due to an amp module if they have really replaced it and it failed immediately.

I am sure that if I were Debbie, I would no longer care WHAT the root cause was.  I would simply want a NEW speaker to end my ordeal.

On the subject of reliability, if you do actually search around for DSR failures, you find very few.  You can find more failures from other makes in the same price range than you can DSR's; however, based on my own observations only, QSC and JBL speakers also vastly outnumber DSR's .... and even DXR's really.  I realize this isn't scientific in any way.  My point is that I suspect that QSC and JBL ..... while you may find quite a few more failures reported on forums, also sell more speakers compared to Yamaha.

I kind of chalk this up to the fact that Yamaha speakers are simply not as well marketed as QSC, JBL .... and even Mackie.

From my own point of view, my DSR's have been very very reliable and have never failed me at either a band gig, or a DJ event I have done.  Not once in 7 years.  One had a "buzz" that ended up being a bad driver, but honestly, it could have been there from day 1 for all I know.  It took me forever to come up with a way to reproduce it so I could actually get it fixed.

My problem isn't with the DSR speaker design.  I actually think they did a pretty good job.  My problem is that the techs I found were not able to fix my problem, I had to drive over 1 hour each way to a repair shop 5 times total (10 hours of driving), and the Yamaha warranty department tried to get out of the warranty telling the tech that the speaker was only  5 years (vs 7).  I would like to think that this was simply a poorly trained person at Yamaha and that it is unusual for the tech to have to get a PDF link from the customer to send to the Yamaha rep to get them to honor the warranty.  I'm going to go with poorly trained as the reason for this unless I hear of it happening again.

Still, I agree.  I would think that Yamaha would want to nip this bad publicity in the bud and for the love of God and all that's holy, make Debbies world right and just ship the poor girl a speaker.

Just to end on a good note, I love my DSR speakers.  They sound amazing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.