ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68661 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »

Actually, Eminence does quite a bit of custom/mod work for manufacturers.

Yep.
What I meant was that I haven't seen any Eminence models with demodulating rings, and IIRC when they did some tests they found the distortion improvement in the LF range wasn't worth the extra work. Through the midrange, sure, but why don't they include that in their product range?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »

Chris,

Nice article(s).  As an aside, SPL is a weighted average .... and there are several "weights" you can use.  The most popular is A which is very top heavy and ignores most of the LF content.

To your point though, I would expect that the LF driver was protected through the DSP limiter even when the incoming signal kept the unit in solid clip.  Indeed, when you see the clip light come on for the DSR, there is an obvious hysteresis before it goes back off again (once activated, it stays on for a bit even after the signal drops down).  I suspect you could run these speaker hard limited all night without hurting anything.

Other speakers I can't speak for.  I know that some lower priced powered speakers can be damaged by hitting them with too much signal and clipping them hard.  That just seems like a bad design to me.

I have had run-away feedback and dropped microphones and all other forms of mishap on the inputs that had no effect on the DSR112's.  They have proved to be quite robust in the face of stupidity.

Of course, now I have to evaluate if they really did survive all that, or if there was at some point damage done that simply wasn't easy to detect.

It is also possible that this defect has been present since the day I bought the speaker.  It really is that obscure.  Only one frequency, and only when nearing its full output.

Debbie,

Any news on your speaker?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »

No news since I spoke to Yamaha on tuesday. I'll be calling them again tomorrow.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

Update:
First - I got a call from the local service tech on monday asking me if the speaker was working OK. He has never done this before after any repair to my gear. I told him I have not used the speaker yet because I do not trust it and that I was waiting on communication with Yamaha about this.

I hadn't heard back from Yamaha so I called  them on tuesday.
I had a 15 minute hold time - not unusual in my experience - I got through to Jans. I told him I was waiting for some information that Robert promised me. He told me that 'Louis' in service was supposed to be getting in contact with me about this. I asked if it was customary to wait over a week for something like this and he got quite defensive and rude - cut into my question and said, " Look - I am just trying to help you and I need to transfer you to Louis". Wow - way to go to treat a customer. So he gave me an extension number and said he was transferring my call.
He transferred me to a non - existent extension.
At this point I was so angry and made a call to someone else.
I had been given the direct number of a Yamaha staff member here on the forum and so I called him.
He was really understanding and told me he would do all he could do to help me and to give him  couple of days.
30 minutes later my local tech called me and said that a lady from Yamaha called him -out of the blue- and told him to go ahead and order a new amp module. He also told me she said that the only time de-oxit should be necessary on a 'fix' would be if I lived near the beach or in Florida - DUH....my point from the beginning!!
The next day Robert called me from Yamaha and asked if I had received his email that he sent me last week regarding the call from the tech to Yamaha. I told him no and I had checked each day. We chatted and I asked him what was the result of the recorded call made to Yamaha by the service tech. He told me that the Tech HAD in fact called Yamaha regarding this but that Yamaha NEVER told him to use de-oxit.  He also said that the tach was paid for his work so paperwork should have been made available..
Robert said that techs trained to be Yamaha authorized service shops are NEVER trained to use de-oxit as a Yamaha repair.
I told him that a new amp was on order.  Robert said that the call to the tech was probably from the service dept manager who is female. I confirmed my email address with Robert and asked if he could resend that email to me regarding the call between Yamaha and the tech.

I have still not received the email.

However, I am getting a new amp for my speaker - YAY.

Am I happy that I had to become such a squeaky wheel to get what I deserve on a warranty issue ?- Absolutely NOT - but we got there.

Every rep I spoke to at yamaha said NOT to use de-oxit on powered speakers because the danger is wth the overspray.

I'll never know by who or how many times the ball got dropped here.

I hope my experience is of help to anyone having similar issues.

Thank you to everyone who commented and contacted me over this.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2018, 12:57:38 AM »

Update:

I got a call last night from the tech.  Driver
Came in and the speaker is ready for pickup. 

Yamaha again refused the warranty claim and the tech sent him the link that I sent him.  After another 30 min on the phone, Yamaha finally agreed that the speaker was under its 7 year warranty.

I will pick it up on Saturday, but before I do, I will test it again.

I feel your pain Debbie.

Yamaha,

Please do better.  You make a great product,  but support has been a real PITA.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2018, 01:02:11 AM »

Yamaha again refused the warranty claim and the tech sent him the link that I sent him.  After another 30 min on the phone, Yamaha finally agreed that the speaker was under its 7 year warranty.

I continually have to remind crown that iTechHDs have a five year warranty. For a while my standard line to them was.... You do realize there are no 4x3500s in existence out of warranty right??....right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2018, 07:23:39 AM »

Update:

I got a call last night from the tech.  Driver
Came in and the speaker is ready for pickup. 

I will pick it up on Saturday, but before I do, I will test it again.

I feel your pain Debbie.

Yamaha,

Please do better.  You make a great product,  but support has been a real PITA.
Consider this, regarding powered speakers.

What happens, years from now, when the particular speaker is no longer made, or special parts are no longer available etc.?

Unless you can get some other amplifier, with the same processing, to fit into the hole, the speaker is pretty much trash.

A 1960s Altec A7 will run just fine off of any amplifier made today, or even before the A7 was around.  And there are plenty of various replacement drivers that will keep it working until the wood rots.

So powered loudspeakers should generally be considered "disposable" products.

Just something to consider.

I still prefer outboard amplifiers.  Maybe it is just me.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »

Consider this, regarding powered speakers.

What happens, years from now, when the particular speaker is no longer made, or special parts are no longer available etc.?

Unless you can get some other amplifier, with the same processing, to fit into the hole, the speaker is pretty much trash.

A 1960s Altec A7 will run just fine off of any amplifier made today, or even before the A7 was around.  And there are plenty of various replacement drivers that will keep it working until the wood rots.

So powered loudspeakers should generally be considered "disposable" products.

Just something to consider.

I still prefer outboard amplifiers.  Maybe it is just me.
Food for thought, Ivan.
On the other hand, with such manufacturer-speciality drivers specific to cabinets, there is no guarantee that a driver failure in the future not would similarly turn the speaker to trash.  Arguably, drivers will be around longer than those speciality amps, though.

Debbie - at least your frustration seem to be close to proper resolution. Hope it is smooth sailing here out.  Dues paid.
Scott - Similarly, you managed to teach them how to count to seven.  Well done.

We'll hope these experiences are aberrations.  It is a shame that folks are forced to become different people to get others to do what they should have done without argument. (sigh)

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »

Debbie - at least your frustration seem to be close to proper resolution. Hope it is smooth sailing here out.  Dues paid.
Scott - Similarly, you managed to teach them how to count to seven.  Well done.

We'll hope these experiences are aberrations.  It is a shame that folks are forced to become different people to get others to do what they should have done without argument. (sigh)

frank

In my experience working customer service for so many years, no-one ever wins by being a jerk and the nicer customers tend to get better service - human nature. Plus, these guys are just doing their jobs and only have so much control in these situations.
I go out of my way to be polite, reasonable and understanding when I have these types of situations occur in my life because I really believe folks are more willing to help me that way.
However, sometimes I feel I am walking a fine line between being patient and being 'that' customer.
I worry sometimes that my attitude is perceived as weakness though so once in a while I throw in a curve ball comment just to keep folks on their toes and to make them realize they are not dealing with an idiot and I really won't let this go.

David Allred

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

However, sometimes I feel I am walking a fine line between being patient and being 'that' customer.

Like sending back meal that isn't cooked exactly as ordered or seasoned just right.  It might come back with special sauce if the chef / cook has had a bad day (and if he is inclined to do so). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.