ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68670 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »

Yesterday I called Yamaha again to check on the status of my case. I spoke to a different gentleman. All my notes are in the system and seem complete - which I wanted to make sure of.
He told me that Robert did contact the department dealing with retrieval of the telephone records relating to the call made by the tech to Yamaha and once they have been received, he will share with me.
I asked him where we go from here : I have a speaker that has had de-oxit sprayed as a repair yet a  different but presumably related fault occurred after 4 hours of use. Now I have more de-oxit sprayed as a fix for that fault ....
I explained I am fed up with 'band aid' fixes and have lost confidence at this point and I need Yamaha to step up and do the right thing.
He agreed and told me to wait to see what the result is of the telephone records but if Yamaha needs to send me a replacement  speaker, then that is what will happen.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:56 AM »

Hi Debbie.

I got an email verifying my speaker is in fact under warranty for 7 years and that they will cover my repair.

Honestly, I still kin of expect it to be buzzing when I go in next time.  That is how little confidence I have that the tech can fix it.  I hope to be wrong. 

I sure hope you get things ironed out as well. 

All this aside, I still love my dsr’s.  I am just frustrated with the service from the repair center(s).

I am hoping I have no need to contact Yamaha directly

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »

Hey Scott... fingers crossed for you.
The 7 year warranty issue has not come up in my case and I have been very up front about how old my speakers are in each conversation I have had.
I too love my DSR's - but I do not need the extra stress at shows of not knowing if I can rely on my speakers... it takes the pleasure out of the job for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »

I totally get it Debbie.

Mine are right at 7 years.  Sadly, I personally have had some kind of speaker problem about every 7 years.  This is my 3rd problem in 21 years. 

What fail rate do others have with FOH speakers with other brands?

Mal Brown

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2018, 01:06:37 PM »

Qsc - zero...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »

I totally get it Debbie.

Mine are right at 7 years.  Sadly, I personally have had some kind of speaker problem about every 7 years.  This is my 3rd problem in 21 years. 

We own a lot of speakers - 76 VerTec line array elements (tops & subs), a dozen KF850, 16 SRX728, 16 SRX712, 32 dbTech T4 and a bunch of others.  I don't recall servicing any of them last year, but other than the 8 Mackie SRM450 we have, none of them are MI or pro-sumer equipment.

But when it rains, it pours.  We've had VerTec input PC boards with burned traces (the NL8 connectors are mounted to a printed circuit board with Molex connectors and wiring harness to the transducers) - 3 such failures in one year; that same year we sent back a couple of T4 because the amps made odd noises without input connections.  Still, out of nearly 200 loudspeakers in our shop we had only 5 failures that year which required removing the units from use.

I personally own a pair of Yamaha DBR112 which I was told are crap speakers (they're not, but they ain't DSR or DXR, for sure) and so far I've been very happy in the first year of ownership.  We'll have to wait and see if they develop problems before I retire (which I hope is before the warranty expires)...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:28:38 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »

Do you want Anecdotal Evidence? Because this is how you get anecdotal evidence.

Qsc - zero...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Bolt

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »

Do you want Anecdotal Evidence? Because this is how you get anecdotal evidence.
I understand your thoughts.  It was just a curiosity. 

Equipment can fail for any number of reasons (and does IME).  My own DSR speakers have survived user abuse, both physical and running at clip for extended periods of time). My driver may have been damaged for quite some time and since the fail mode was so intermittent, infrequent and less obvious,  I simply haven't noticed.

Debbie on the other hand messed up her show ... more than once... and she didn't do anything to cause it.  That is kind of scary.

I am curios to see what failed and why.  The oxidation of connectors seems to be a theme that is being suggested by several sources.  If that is all it is, I suppose I could handle that myself as I had to do with my old mix wizard as well as my tc electronics m one xl. 

While only anicdotal as pointed out, it gives us a warm feeling to know what a reasonable fail rate is.  I currently can live with 1 speaker out of 4 having an issue every 7 years and feel pretty good about my equipment.

I would certainly prefer the warranty stats from each manufacturer if someone could provide that :)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »

I understand your thoughts.  It was just a curiosity. 

That's fine, I just wouldn't want passerby (~5.6k views and growing) to get the idea from responses any single brand has a different failure rate based upon poor logic and small sample set.

A better question might be, who else has had issues with their Yamaha prosumer speakers?
What is the subjective experience everyone with other manufactures failure rates?

These even fail the logic tests, we'll never know how many people DIDN'T have issues.

I would certainly prefer the warranty stats from each manufacturer if someone could provide that :)

I certainly would appreciate that too :)

I think if you wanted real numbers from a user base then create a thread with a poll.

I have 4x QSC & 2x JBL speakers, I've had a failure of both. Warranties are both nice and a headache. This thread is evident of that.

---

Sorry for the derail, carry on.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Bolt

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »

That's fine, I just wouldn't want passerby (~5.6k views and growing) to get the idea from responses any single brand has a different failure rate based upon poor logic and small sample set.

A better question might be, who else has had issues with their Yamaha prosumer speakers?
What is the subjective experience everyone with other manufactures failure rates?

These even fail the logic tests, we'll never know how many people DIDN'T have issues.

I certainly would appreciate that too :)

I think if you wanted real numbers from a user base then create a thread with a poll.

I have 4x QSC & 2x JBL speakers, I've had a failure of both. Warranties are both nice and a headache. This thread is evident of that.

---

Sorry for the derail, carry on.

Good point Nathan.  I agree.

I got verification from my tech today that Yamaha did agree that the warranty period is indeed 7 years (like I didn't already know that) and that the driver is on order and the repair is completely covered under warranty..... Great news for me, and likely all due to Debbie keeping those fingers crossed for me (thanks Debbie!).

My warranty expires at the end of March this year, so this was really the very last moment I could have gotten it fixed for free.  The woofer driver is $365 if you have to purchase it yourself FYI. 

As for a little more information, one interesting fact is that Yamaha has changed the woofer driver part number since the early models (like the ones I have).  As some of you may have figured out by my warranty date, I was a very early adopter of the DSR112.  I went to the store to buy a PRX612m, but simply couldn't get past the fact that the DSR112 was much better sounding, and more powerful.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.