ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68668 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »

Had kind of a similar thing with with a four ten combo guitar amp. Guitar player said the amp sometimes had a buzzing/rattling distorted sound. Tone sweeps through the amp found nothing, each speaker tested good. He brings over a guitar starts playing after about 30 seconds I hear it plain as day.
Turns out it was knot in the pine board of the amp had dried up and cracked loose in the board and would vibrate with the right combination of frequencies and volume.
It is amazing how very little things can cause a loud racket.  A very small air leak, a loose wheel, a screw not tightened all the way, a wire slightly touching the cone and so forth
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »

So I will add to this thread and let you know I had a buzz that showed up from time to time on my one DSR112. This seem to happen in the venue which is a firehouse club and nowhere else. I though maybe radio interference and it was always stage left. So I marked the speaker as I get in this venue several times a year. Well I was in a few weeks back and it happened again it was the speaker that I marked. I had time and moved the cables from one speaker to the other to make sure it wasn’t the console or Snake causing the issue. It wasn’t either. I was able to make the noise occur in the trailer as it seemed to do it more in colder weather. Decided to take it to the service center and they looked up the DSR for this issue and the repair guy told me that Yamaha has a notice that a “transistor” has been known to cause this noise and they spec’d the parts that needed replaced. He ordered them and Yamaha has them on back order. I have two pair of DSR112’s so I am ok waiting. These boxes sound great and hope the issues we are seeing are minor. My speaker may have had a bad batch of parts they used not known to them?  My repair guy said the parts are like $10 if he purchased them somewhere else to fix the issue but he orders a second set in the event one of my other boxes start doing the same thing. Still in for repair and will post back. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Q_HT8vCm0

That said I still believe in the product and think they sound fantastic. Would I buy again absolutely! 

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2018, 07:07:12 AM »

So I will add to this thread and let you know I had a buzz that showed up from time to time on my one DSR112. This seem to happen in the venue which is a firehouse club and nowhere else. I though maybe radio interference and it was always stage left. So I marked the speaker as I get in this venue several times a year. Well I was in a few weeks back and it happened again it was the speaker that I marked. I had time and moved the cables from one speaker to the other to make sure it wasn’t the console or Snake causing the issue. It wasn’t either. I was able to make the noise occur in the trailer as it seemed to do it more in colder weather. Decided to take it to the service center and they looked up the DSR for this issue and the repair guy told me that Yamaha has a notice that a “transistor” has been known to cause this noise and they spec’d the parts that needed replaced. He ordered them and Yamaha has them on back order. I have two pair of DSR112’s so I am ok waiting. These boxes sound great and hope the issues we are seeing are minor. My speaker may have had a bad batch of parts they used not known to them?  My repair guy said the parts are like $10 if he purchased them somewhere else to fix the issue but he orders a second set in the event one of my other boxes start doing the same thing. Still in for repair and will post back. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Q_HT8vCm0

That said I still believe in the product and think they sound fantastic. Would I buy again absolutely!

A good friend of mine has the DSR115's and one had the exact sound that is in the Youtube video. A transistor was replaced under warranty and he's had 0 problems after. I hope your fix is as simple and let us know how yours worked out.

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Bolt

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »

Wow.  Cool noise.  Perhaps that is the built in pink noise generator version of the firmware ;)

Update:  Yesterday I received a call from my service tech letting me know that Yamaha told him the warranty on the DSR112 was only 5 years.  I had him send me an email and returned the email with a link to Yamaha's PDF showing that all DSR, DXR, and even DBR series speakers carry a 7 year warranty.

I would like to say that I would also purchase these speakers again and again.  Mine is a very minor issue really compared to others here (love the cricket helicopter sound in the video ;) ). 

Having said that, the service centers I am dealing with are really pissing me off.  It should not be my job to send links to YAMAHA warranty documents.  Considering the time and effort I have put into getting this little buzz fixed, at this point guys (and girls Debbie), I just really want the damn thing fixed with a "Thank You" added in for my effort in getting to the bottom of the problem.

Hopefully my email will be the LAST of this nonsense.  I guess my next call should be to Yamaha to handle this crap personally.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

When I spoke to Robert yesterday I invited him to read this thread.
I hope he does so.
Perhaps Yamaha should be checking into just how well the company is being represented by its service providers as these things do reflect on the company regardless of whether Yamaha is at fault or not or how unfair that may seem.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

When I spoke to Robert yesterday I invited him to read this thread.
I hope he does so.
Perhaps Yamaha should be checking into just how well the company is being represented by its service providers as these things do reflect on the company regardless of whether Yamaha is at fault or not or how unfair that may seem.
I agree.  They should take note.

Like some others here, I work in engineering where products are out in the wild being used (and abused) by real customers.  While it is impossible to engineer a product that is perfect, one of the most important things you can do is arm your support organizations with flow charts that help them resolve the problem for the customer (not necessarily fix the unit).  If someone takes a $900.00 speaker into the tech 3 different times, there is OBVEOUSLY something wrong with the unit.  Anyone willing to do such a thing is also highly likely someone you want telling the world how well your problem was handled ..... not how inept the service was.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »

I have so far been happy with the service guy I am using. He has called me several times to update me and he seems to have been in the Pro Audio side of repairs most of his life “Crown” until just recently.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:17 AM »

I think the "box connector" is a major source of problems if the pins get  oxidized or the connection is becomes somehow compromised.   See the old post below that seems to echo some of the issues in this thread.

I had both of my DSR112's fail last weekend when used as mains over srx718 subs for a band at an outdoor wedding.  They were being driven fairly hard for a party of 120 or so but crossed over at 100Hz and not clipping.  No direct sun but the temp was around 90F.

Both boxes shut themselves off during the last 1/2 hour, after about 3 hours of continuous use.  They did not seem overly hot and smelled OK but maybe it was thermal protection.  They came back to life after turning them off and on.  Unfortunately one of them continued to go off and after successively shorter periods of coming back to life, it would not stay on at all. 

The other one stayed on the rest of the gig.  But the next day it started crackling and distorting when being used as a monitor.  I had this same problem with the same box last year and sent it in for repair.  The repair notes were somewhat obtuse and referenced some plate being tightened.

Having a need  for these boxes for a festival starting tomorrow I  thought I would at do an internal inspection of the drivers and electronics.  The drivers looked and felt good and sounded OK when driven from a conventional amp. 

I could not see anything burned or loose in the plate amp but did note these feature ribbon cables between the input block and the main amp block.  Ribbon cables have been a source of problems for me in the past with an old Mackie 1604 mixer and with my DR260 processors.  And, sure enough, cleaning and re-seating the ribbon cables completely fixed the distorting box and brought the dead box back to life except no woofer.

Additional disassembly and  tinkering with the box with the non-functional woofer exposed a somewhat unusual rigid multi-pin pass-through connector between the 3 circuit boards in the input block.  After pulling this apart and putting it back together to re-seat / clean it, the woofer came back to life. Yeah!

Now both boxes seem to be working 100% again.  My conclusion is that the ribbon cable connections and rigid multi-pin connectors can exhibit bad connectivity after some time in use.  I suppose this is the result of the constant vibration they must endure. 

I drive the boxes hard  when used as mains and this may exacerbate the problem.  I don't drive them into clipping and don't feel like I abuse these speakers.  Rather, I am of the opinion that the design of the connectors is weak.  I have K12's, PRX615's, and PRX712's that have been driven just as hard for more years of use and none of them have failed in any way.

I love the sound of the DSR112 but when I add these 3 separate failures to my list of complaints about the physical packaging, the love affair is becoming a bit tarnished.  I don't think I will be buying any more of these.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

David Allred

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »

I think the "box connector" is a major source of problems if the pins get  oxidized or the connection is becomes somehow compromised.   See the old post below that seems to echo some of the issues in this thread.

Would a coating of conductive grease resolve this issue by filling micro gaps and prevent oxidation?  I had a similar problem with pass-through pins on 2 Yorkville passive 0-xovers causing loss of high output based on cabinet vibrations  ( full range or setting directly on sub vs mid/hi separated).

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

The old Peavey XR600/500/400 amps used to suffer from oxidisation of the pins.  Sometimes you could make them conduct again by disconnecting the speakers, turning everything up full and putting a signal through then putting it back to normal.

I have lost count of the number of amps friends have brought to me to have the connectors cut off and the cables soldered directly to the PCBs.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.