ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68665 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

I thought I would share my experience in this thread just in case anyone else has a seemingly harmless "cabinet rattle" they are living with.  Might want to get this looked at while still in warranty ;)

Some things can be hard to trace down.

I had a case that a Church was complaining about distortion in the PA.

I made 2 trips there and did everything I could to try and make it act up.

I kept blaming something in the console overloading.

On the 3rd trip, I still could not find a problem.  A guy was walking across the stage and the the audio said "Hey Joe, do you have your guitar?"

I was told that during Joes performance last Sunday it was happening.

So just a vocal and acoustic guitar, and SURE ENOUGH, there was the distortion-pretty strong.

I had tested with a wide variety of music and swept tones.

But it was specific combinations of freq that would set up the distortion, not a single freq.

What I found was a small crack in the diaphragm of the HF driver.

Simple fix, but took A LOT of time and specific conditions to find it/narrow  it down.

It is gratifying when you find the problem, but can be a real pain in the meantime.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mal Brown

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

Hi Debbie,

I have had a strange "buzz" in one of my DSR's for some time ... only at a certain frequency, and only at high volume.  It was very infrequent, and I was going to just wait until the warranty was out and find out what was rattling and fix it.

The end of last year, I decided to try to get it into warranty and have them do it .... even though the closest warranty repair center for me is about 1 hour drive each way.

After a couple of weeks in the shop ..... yep.  "Nothin wrong with the speaker".

Another 1 hour trip to the store, I bring in the other DSR for comparison, another 2 weeks ..... yep.  "Nothin wrong with the speaker".

Frustrated, I fall back to my original plan and take the speakers home.

A couple of weeks ago, I was plunking around on my guitar and found a 100% sure fire way to get it to buzz.  This was both a relief, and a concern to me, so .... back to the store (a different one this time).  I show the tech the problem with my phone and a cable hooked to the speaker.  2 weeks later I get "Nothing wrong with the internals of the speaker, adjusted the metal grill and the speaker is ready to pick up".

Last night I drove out again (this makes 4 one hour drives in both directions for me for a total of 8 hours on the road for this stupid issue) and bring my phone and cord to verify the problem is fixed..... NOPE.  Buzzes at exactly the same frequency and volume.

Fortunately, the techs (3 them all jumped in) all got on this immediately.  After 15 min, pressing around on the speaker, fiddling around with it in various ways, and then finally removing the speaker from the box and running the test again, it was determined that it was actually the woofer that was making the noise (not a rattle in the cabinet).  They ordered a new driver for me under warranty (which runs out next month!).

So the moral of my story is that it was a giant PITA to get this fixed.  I had thought it was something minor, but it wasn't.  It was worth my effort (if only barely) to get it fixed (I think).

It may be that the speaker would have continued to work (longer than I will anyway) without getting worse.  It was only an intermittent and infrequent buzz that wasn't really that loud (certainly not enough to be heard over the other speaker and subs at volume).  It could have become much worse though, and the root cause is the $400 woofer in the speaker.

In all honesty, if someone gave me the choice of paying $400 or driving a total of 10 hours and leaving work early on several occasions to get to the shop while a tech was present ... I may have well just replaced the silly thing on my own dime!

My situation is much different than yours Debbie.  I could have continued to use my speaker with no real issue.  The buzz was rare, only at very high volume, and only at a very specific frequency.

My problem with the experience was the lengths I had to go to in order to get the problem fixed.  I don't know that there was any other path for me really.  It was just a particularly difficult to reproduce major issue disguised as a cabinet rattle.

Once I spent the time to create a test that reproduced the problem 100% of the time, I FINALLY got things fixed.

I thought I would share my experience in this thread just in case anyone else has a seemingly harmless "cabinet rattle" they are living with.  Might want to get this looked at while still in warranty ;)

I had almost exactly the same problem with a PRX 612m.  Except that the repair guys never actually owned up to it after my demo of the existing issue.  To quote some bad movie or another... JBL is dead to me...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »

I hate to sound like a fanboi, but I've written before how responsive Yamaha Canada was to my DSR issues-very quick and efficient service. Having said that, I'm a dealer and would expect Yamaha to make things right quickly. I'm wondering if OP's "disappointment" is a result of less than superior service at the dealer level, rather than at the manufacturer level, and in defence of that, as Ivan stated, it is sometimes hard to nail these things down.
Still, you should have received the promised call-back from Yamaha USA. Good luck and be a squeaky (but professional) wheel.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

Robert called me back and I just got off the phone with him.
After telling him everything he said that it sounds like the problem is  with the repairer and his concern is why paperwork was not generated. I asked him if the call that the tech said he made to Yamaha would have been logged and he told me it would. I asked if he could confirm that call was made.  He is checking on that and will email me with what he finds.
He suggested going forward if I have any problems, to take the speaker to another shop or mail back to Yamaha.
I have no issues taking it to the next closest shop which is not much farther in the other direction BUT it is now 'working' so I will have to wait for it to fail again - assuming it will - before I can do that.
I am happy that I spoke with Yamaha because he took notes and now I have a record of the fail.
I asked him what would happen if I have problems for a 3rd time but get told that de-oxit is the fix. He said at that point Yamaha would step in and replace the speaker. THIS was what I wanted to hear and now I feel confident that I have the appropriate backing from the company.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »

I hate to sound like a fanboi, but I've written before how responsive Yamaha Canada was to my DSR issues-very quick and efficient service. Having said that, I'm a dealer and would expect Yamaha to make things right quickly. I'm wondering if OP's "disappointment" is a result of less than superior service at the dealer level, rather than at the manufacturer level, and in defence of that, as Ivan stated, it is sometimes hard to nail these things down.
Still, you should have received the promised call-back from Yamaha USA. Good luck and be a squeaky (but professional) wheel.

I saw this post BJ after I posted my update.... yes it seems that the repairer is the main problem here - not Yamaha. Although getting a call back or an email response shouldn't have taken so long.
At the end of the day, I did get to voice my concerns to the right party so I feel a lot happier now.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »

I feel blessed to have such wonderful support from you good folks - you keep me from going crazy sometimes!!!
Thank you!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »

I feel blessed to have such wonderful support from you good folks - you keep me from going crazy sometimes!!!
Thank you!
But isn't being in the sound business the definition of crazy?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »

Thank you!

Crazed but functional?  I guess pit-bull Bill will have to wait.  Nice that he was there, though.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »

Crazed but functional?  I guess pit-bull Bill will have to wait.  Nice that he was there, though.

Absolutely ..... I never received the email Robert promised me today so this isn't over yet....

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Some things can be hard to trace down.

I had a case that a Church was complaining about distortion in the PA.

I made 2 trips there and did everything I could to try and make it act up.

I kept blaming something in the console overloading.

On the 3rd trip, I still could not find a problem.  A guy was walking across the stage and the the audio said "Hey Joe, do you have your guitar?"

I was told that during Joes performance last Sunday it was happening.

So just a vocal and acoustic guitar, and SURE ENOUGH, there was the distortion-pretty strong.

I had tested with a wide variety of music and swept tones.

But it was specific combinations of freq that would set up the distortion, not a single freq.

What I found was a small crack in the diaphragm of the HF driver.

Simple fix, but took A LOT of time and specific conditions to find it/narrow  it down.

It is gratifying when you find the problem, but can be a real pain in the meantime.

Had kind of a similar thing with with a four ten combo guitar amp. Guitar player said the amp sometimes had a buzzing/rattling distorted sound. Tone sweeps through the amp found nothing, each speaker tested good. He brings over a guitar starts playing after about 30 seconds I hear it plain as day.
Turns out it was a knot in the pine board of the amp that had dried up and cracked loose in the board and would vibrate with the right combination of frequencies and volume.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:06:42 PM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.