ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68666 times)

David Allred

Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »

Textbook fix or not, you want the evidence trail showing your speaker was in for service to continue the warranty on that service/repair.

I have never had a warranty repair roll the term forward to an additional full warranty term on that particular part.  Always just to the original term duration.  I always believed that it should roll forward though.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »

Yamaha never called me today.

:(
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 03:54:10 AM »

Unleash Bill.
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

Unleash Bill.

Might end up doing that!!..

Just called again and spoke to the same guy I did on tuesday. - Keith. He told me I need to speak with 'Robert' who will be in the building in 15 minutes. .... and "Sorry no-one got back to you."

Not only did I call on tuesday but I also sent a detailed message to customer service at Yamaha  and did not receive any response from that either.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Unleash the HOUNDS!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Fruits

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »

While waiting for Robert to get in touch, consider your options, you could always pull out the big guns.  Play the "is it because I'm a girl that you don't seem to be taking me seriously card". (It's always fun when you say something that makes them splutter and deny.)  You could also explain that you have a wide circle of mentors who have decades of live sound experience to advise you.
Best of luck.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »

While waiting for Robert to get in touch, consider your options, you could always pull out the big guns.  Play the "is it because I'm a girl that you don't seem to be taking me seriously card". (It's always fun when you say something that makes them splutter and deny.)  You could also explain that you have a wide circle of mentors who have decades of live sound experience to advise you.
Best of luck.

Good thinking John and not at all beyond my moral standing - LOL!!
All joking aside - this 'attitude' has caused me many issues over the years and I have always had to fight a little harder than the boys to get some things resolved.

Earlier today I sent a message a a gentleman who works for Yamaha - a forum member kindly gave me his information. I wrote to him asking for his help and advice - so we will see if this results in some customer satisfaction .....

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »

All of us DSR users (and the rest) are hoping for the best. :)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Dine

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »

I think that if you share this thread with them and point out that it's had over 4000 views you would get the attention you deserve.   Yamaha,  there are many live sound professionals with their eyes on you here!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:36 AM »

Hi Debbie,

I have had a strange "buzz" in one of my DSR's for some time ... only at a certain frequency, and only at high volume.  It was very infrequent, and I was going to just wait until the warranty was out and find out what was rattling and fix it.

The end of last year, I decided to try to get it into warranty and have them do it .... even though the closest warranty repair center for me is about 1 hour drive each way.

After a couple of weeks in the shop ..... yep.  "Nothin wrong with the speaker".

Another 1 hour trip to the store, I bring in the other DSR for comparison, another 2 weeks ..... yep.  "Nothin wrong with the speaker".

Frustrated, I fall back to my original plan and take the speakers home.

A couple of weeks ago, I was plunking around on my guitar and found a 100% sure fire way to get it to buzz.  This was both a relief, and a concern to me, so .... back to the store (a different one this time).  I show the tech the problem with my phone and a cable hooked to the speaker.  2 weeks later I get "Nothing wrong with the internals of the speaker, adjusted the metal grill and the speaker is ready to pick up".

Last night I drove out again (this makes 4 one hour drives in both directions for me for a total of 8 hours on the road for this stupid issue) and bring my phone and cord to verify the problem is fixed..... NOPE.  Buzzes at exactly the same frequency and volume.

Fortunately, the techs (3 them all jumped in) all got on this immediately.  After 15 min, pressing around on the speaker, fiddling around with it in various ways, and then finally removing the speaker from the box and running the test again, it was determined that it was actually the woofer that was making the noise (not a rattle in the cabinet).  They ordered a new driver for me under warranty (which runs out next month!).

So the moral of my story is that it was a giant PITA to get this fixed.  I had thought it was something minor, but it wasn't.  It was worth my effort (if only barely) to get it fixed (I think).

It may be that the speaker would have continued to work (longer than I will anyway) without getting worse.  It was only an intermittent and infrequent buzz that wasn't really that loud (certainly not enough to be heard over the other speaker and subs at volume).  It could have become much worse though, and the root cause is the $400 woofer in the speaker.

In all honesty, if someone gave me the choice of paying $400 or driving a total of 10 hours and leaving work early on several occasions to get to the shop while a tech was present ... I may have well just replaced the silly thing on my own dime!

My situation is much different than yours Debbie.  I could have continued to use my speaker with no real issue.  The buzz was rare, only at very high volume, and only at a very specific frequency.

My problem with the experience was the lengths I had to go to in order to get the problem fixed.  I don't know that there was any other path for me really.  It was just a particularly difficult to reproduce major issue disguised as a cabinet rattle.

Once I spent the time to create a test that reproduced the problem 100% of the time, I FINALLY got things fixed.

I thought I would share my experience in this thread just in case anyone else has a seemingly harmless "cabinet rattle" they are living with.  Might want to get this looked at while still in warranty ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.