ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68665 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »

Chris picked up the speaker today. He asked the tech again exactly what Yamaha had told him and what he did.
He said - and I quote, " So... it's not just the ribbon cable that goes between the preamp board and the amp, but the preamp has 2 boards and there is a box connector with pins that go up into the top board. You gotta pull that board off and clean those as well. When I pushed the mic/line switch back and forth last time it was probably just enough movement and friction to get  it to work ".
Chris asked for the paperwork from both fixes but the tech said neither jobs were claimed under the warranty so no paperwork was generated and he did them as a favor.
Chris was very polite as he always is but said we are not too happy and if it happens again, we will insist on a new amp and will get Yamaha involved.

So there you have it. Should I try again or should I call Yamaha anyway? ( Or should I get Bill involved ? - LOL)

One more thing - He also said it is 'kinda a design fault'.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »

So there you have it. Should I try again or should I call Yamaha anyway? ( Or should I get Bill involved ? - LOL)

I'd consider both.
Having no paperwork is a red flag for me.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »

I just got off the phone with a Yamaha customer service rep. He is escalating my case to someone who is better equipped to speak with me. I should get a call back within 24 hours.
Does anyone have any contacts at Yamaha?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »

Good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

... Chris asked for the paperwork from both fixes but the tech said neither jobs were claimed under the warranty so no paperwork was generated and he did them as a favor... One more thing - He also said it is 'kinda a design fault'.

This smells like lutefisk!  Without paperwork, a warranty claim cannot be escalated. How does he get paid by Yamaha for warranty repairs, or is he not an authorized repair site?

-Dennis

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »

Debbie,
I have never been, and never will be a fan of powered cabinets. But that's just me and the only reason I bring this up is to emphasize the point made by Tim regarding cleaning solvents.

So my problem of late was with my old faithful QSC 4050's. It had been some time since I moved the sensitivity rheostats (old school for potentiometer) on those amps. Lost most of the sound to my LH subs during a gig last week, so seeing signal everywhere but at the amp I twisted the shit out of the pots, and like magic, sound for the rest of the night. I'll pull those amps out of the rack this weekend and flush/actuate the pots using Deoxit and they'll be good to go for another 10 years. I would do the same for any Fender amplifier I rebuild if needed and the customer didn't want the historic pot replaced. But Tim is 100% correct. You can't clean pots and jacks from the outside in, and using a cleaner incorrectly will do more harm than good.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »

This smells like lutefisk!  Without paperwork, a warranty claim cannot be escalated. How does he get paid by Yamaha for warranty repairs, or is he not an authorized repair site?

-Dennis

It's not a warranty claim that is being escalated Dennis - it is my complaint/concern.
I agree this is weird and why I called yamaha about it. It seems the tech didn't get paid at a all......
The repair center is authorized Yamaha and many many other brands also. I have used him a few times for all kinds of different problems and brands and I have been happy with his work in the past.
If what he did for me IS the textbook fix, then I have no argument I suppose BUT I need to know from Yamaha and I wanted it down on record also as no work order was generated or recorded.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »

It's not a warranty claim that is being escalated...

Sorry, I guess I knew that.   :-[

-D

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »

It's not a warranty claim that is being escalated Dennis - it is my complaint/concern.
I agree this is weird and why I called yamaha about it. It seems the tech didn't get paid at a all......
The repair center is authorized Yamaha and many many other brands also. I have used him a few times for all kinds of different problems and brands and I have been happy with his work in the past.
If what he did for me IS the textbook fix, then I have no argument I suppose BUT I need to know from Yamaha and I wanted it down on record also as no work order was generated or recorded.

Textbook fix or not, you want the evidence trail showing your speaker was in for service to continue the warranty on that service/repair.

My experiences with Yamaha's factory folks in Buena Park have been good; our products were consoles and not speakers, though.

I'd be surprised if this is not resolved to your satisfaction, Debbie.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »

Debbie, is it time to tag me in yet?!?!?!?

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.