ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68665 times)

Steve Garris

Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »

I am crazy careful with my gear. 
No moisture, everything stored in the garage attached to the house, heavily insulated  so temperatures stay reasonable. Everything stored upright and only moved around by us. If anything even gets close to getting wet, it sits in my garage with the window AC unit on for days just to be safe. Rarely does any of my gear see any moisture. The DSR's and the SRX812's have never been wet.

The SRX815 had the XLR release tab break so I couldn't remove the cable from it - had to go in and be taken apart.
The SRX812 had a piece of plastic come loose from the driver and rattle around inside - this has happened to others on the forum too with SRX and PRX series speakers. It didn't damage anything but caused a weird noise when it bounced around with the speaker on. I found it myself and removed it.
Now the DSR112 which obviously has an amp issue.... so there is no common denominator other than my luck...

Very sorry to hear this. My DSR's PRX and SRX powered boxes have all worked flawlessly so far. I did receive an SRX box DOA, but it was a quick exchange. I'm really glad Yamaha has the 7 year warranty! Good luck and keep us advised.

Is the box making garbage noise now that you have it home?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »

Very sorry to hear this. My DSR's PRX and SRX powered boxes have all worked flawlessly so far. I did receive an SRX box DOA, but it was a quick exchange. I'm really glad Yamaha has the 7 year warranty! Good luck and keep us advised.

Is the box making garbage noise now that you have it home?

I haven't tried it because regardless, there is a problem.
To have the issue a few weeks ago regarding no driver - just horn having no fix other than moving the mic/line switch, then getting to the show last night (after only 1 use) and only getting very low output to start and THEN to change to this horrible crackling sound tells me it needs fixing. I could try it but it wouldn't matter whether it was working right or not - I am still taking it in and this time I'll be insisting on the guy putting more time into the fix than spraying some de-oxit on a switch.
I'm wondering if I should involve Yamaha.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »

To have the issue a few weeks ago regarding no driver - just horn having no fix other than moving the mic/line switch, then getting to the show last night (after only 1 use) and only getting very low output to start and THEN to change to this horrible crackling sound tells me it needs fixing. I could try it but it wouldn't matter whether it was working right or not - I am still taking it in and this time I'll be insisting on the guy putting more time into the fix than spraying some de-oxit on a switch.

I had something similar happen at two different gigs earlier this year. It appeared to be power issues. Speaker was low power output and distorted. Worked fine back at home, on generator power, at other gigs, etc... Second speaker worked fine in both instances. I'm not positive it was the same speaker each time but the electrical circuit was overloaded in both cases for sure.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Jay Marr

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »

Subscribed!
Want to hear what the diagnosis is.

My band now owns 4 DSRs.  As I mentioned in other threads, my bass players DSRs (which take zero abuse) both died within a few weeks of each other.  No explanation from repair shop (I'm sure part of the issue is my bass player doesn't ask the right questions).

I hate hearing stories like this.  I've had similar issues and been too far from home to get a suitable replacement.  You make due, and get through the gig, but it always makes me question my gear choices.

I'm going to get crap for saying this - but this is one of the reasons why I like passive speakers.
Yes, any piece of get can break at any time.  But I like the ability to have components that are modular.

I LOVE the DSRs though. I compared them to my passive JBL SRX812s and liked the Yammy's better.

Keep us posted Debbie.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »

Dropped it off again today. I told him this time maybe he should get a replacement amp module......he agreed that would probably be best..
However, he had already called my house phone by the time I got back home.
His message said that he had called Yamaha and they told him that he needed to concentrate on the connections underneath where the mic/line switch is located - to get into that board and remove and clean all connections. He said he did this and tested and it sounds fine. I have never had it open so not sure what he means by that. He also said that this is something that is easy to do myself - well yeah....
So..... do I try it again but make sure to take an extra speaker with me every show now???  Suppose I have no choice -What PIA!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »

Dropped it off again today. I told him this time maybe he should get a replacement amp module......he agreed that would probably be best..
His message said that he had called Yamaha and they told him that he needed to concentrate on the connections underneath where the mic/line switch is located - to get into that board and remove and clean all connections. He said he did this and tested and it sounds fine. I have never had it open so not sure what he means by that. He also said that this is something that is easy to do myself - well yeah....
So..... do I try it again but make sure to take an extra speaker with me every show now???  Suppose I have no choice -What PIA!!

Hi Debbie,
Your experience from the first failure is just wrong - yeah, it happens, but... I went through the same thing with an Apple Powerbook - motherboard had a problem with the power control unit, and would discharge the battery beyond where it could be recovered.  Got a bunch of new batteries before I started talking lemon.

You need to take the amp board down to the range, and put a .44 through it.  Take it back and tell them the speaker is shot. :o

I actually had a friend who did exactly that with a Maxtor hard drive that was about to go back for the third time. :(   I'm not entirely sure they honored the warranty, however.  At that point, he never wanted to see a Maxtor again.

Like golf, it takes such a long time to build confidence, and just a moment to strip it all away.

Wish you well,
frank

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »

Debbie, as I see it you have two choices:

1) Get the speaker back, and carry a spare with you to all of your gigs

2) Give me the techs phone number and by the time I am done on the phone with him he will beg you to replace the amp module

I have a very low tolerance for equipment that has 'been repaired' and then has the same problem again within a mater of weeks.  It has happened once to me and the repair person was back at my shop the next morning making it right for free.  I have never had any other problem that was repaired by this person ever not work for years.  Let me know if you want me to make your repair guy cry and curl up in a corner in the fetal position sucking his thumb.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

2) Give me the techs phone number and by the time I am done on the phone with him he will beg you to replace the amp module

I have a very low tolerance for equipment that has 'been repaired' and then has the same problem again within a mater of weeks.  It has happened once to me and the repair person was back at my shop the next morning making it right for free.  I have never had any other problem that was repaired by this person ever not work for years.  Let me know if you want me to make your repair guy cry and curl up in a corner in the fetal position sucking his thumb.

Bill
  Bill; You sound like Gene Pink when he answers his phone and doesn't recognize your area code.  Possibly it's a Texas thing? 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »

Bill

Ha ha - thanks Bill, I'll keep that in mind if this starts to get ugly!!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »

Possibly it's a Texas thing? 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Except I am from Illinois.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.