ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68665 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 08:48:45 PM »

Yes - the mic/line switch - which is actually a button. Chris picked it up today and didn't ask any questions so I might call him tomorrow just to be sure.

That is of course on the input before the crossover.... Any problem there would , one would think,  show up on both the horn and woofer.  Let me know what you find on this and how the speaker works in the future.  Regardless glad your speaker is working now and thanks for the reply. 
Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »

That is of course on the input before the crossover.... Any problem there would , one would think,  show up on both the horn and woofer.  Let me know what you find on this and how the speaker works in the future.  Regardless glad your speaker is working now and thanks for the reply. 
Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

This presumes the switch passes audio rather than triggering DSP changes via contact closures.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James Paul

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 01:02:55 AM »

The mic/line switch engages an analog audio pad, pre-all other processes.
I would not necessarily lose any sleep with the diagnosed box existing in inventory, but would be a bit wary of deploying suspect speaker on any mission critical duties based on the described diagnosis. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »

I spoke to Chris (technician) today about the concern regarding the switch and why the horn would still functioning. He did admit he was a bit confused by this too but said he checked out everything else and couldn't find any other issues.
He suggested something about voltage ( above my pay grade) and that the switch was allowing a small amount of voltage through which could affect it in this way.  The only thing I can do would be to test it out.
I have tested it at home at low volumes and it appears to be fine. I'll take the DSR's to the next show and keep an SRX812 in the van just in case.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

I spoke to Chris (technician) today about the concern regarding the switch and why the horn would still functioning. He did admit he was a bit confused by this too but said he checked out everything else and couldn't find any other issues.
He suggested something about voltage ( above my pay grade) and that the switch was allowing a small amount of voltage through which could affect it in this way.  The only thing I can do would be to test it out.
I have tested it at home at low volumes and it appears to be fine. I'll take the DSR's to the next show and keep an SRX812 in the van just in case.

Thank you for the report and let us know how it works after awhile in the wild!

Douglas R. Allen

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 01:36:34 AM »

Not happy.... 2 shows this weekend. Friday evening we used DSR's - sounded great.
This evening bar gig: set everything up and ran some music through FOH- same DSR speaker as last time not right but different problem- very low output. Did some troubleshooting but still low sound. Turned up attenuater to compensate and sounded OK.
Band ready for sound check so I turn up front and oh boy - now I have a bucket of gravel!! What the ???????
This time I was too far from home to go get a spare but fortunately the drummer was quite close. He went and got a little 10" eon. I brought a DXR8 for the guitarist to use as a monitor and switched it to the front and gave the guitarist the eon. ( looked quite funny)

So I'll be taking the DSR back into the shop on Monday.....mic/line switch my ass!!!

However.... I couldn't believe how good the little DXR8 sounded out front - wow!
Had compliments on the sound -LOL.

However....Upset - very upset!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

Not happy.... 2 shows this weekend. Friday evening we used DSR's - sounded great.
This evening bar gig: set everything up and ran some music through FOH- same DSR speaker as last time not right but different problem- very low output. Did some troubleshooting but still low sound. Turned up attenuater to compensate and sounded OK.
Band ready for sound check so I turn up front and oh boy - now I have a bucket of gravel!! What the ???????
This time I was too far from home to go get a spare but fortunately the drummer was quite close. He went and got a little 10" eon. I brought a DXR8 for the guitarist to use as a monitor and switched it to the front and gave the guitarist the eon. ( looked quite funny)

So I'll be taking the DSR back into the shop on Monday.....mic/line switch my ass!!!

However.... I couldn't believe how good the little DXR8 sounded out front - wow!
Had compliments on the sound -LOL.

However....Upset - very upset!
That sounds awful! 

Be a squeaky wheel.  Make sure they fix it or replace it!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »

You know - I have never worried about having to take a spare speaker with me to shows.  I take 2 mixers, spare cables etc.
When we use wedges, I always have the option to grab one of those if necessary but now my 2 main bands are iem (apart from the one guitar player), can't do that anymore.
Last night's band uses the one wedge but I couldn't just take that - the player has no iems and he sings too.
So now it's got me thinking I should throw one of my PRX712's in the van every show - just to be safe.

Talk about losing confidence in my speakers.

I had issues with my SRX815. my SRX812 and now this.

I never had any problems before this and in my career I only ever had one speaker casualty many many years ago - an old Altec Lansing 15" sub purchased used that I pushed a little too hard one time.

scottstephens

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

Debbie,

Trouble with 2 JBL's and now a Yammy!!!??? Bummer!! Those are reliable pieces of gear.

My first thoughts is:  Is it a moisture issue? Is all your gear stored together? Any signs of corrosion or rust on anything? Are they in covers that are damp on the inside? 
  Second thought:  Are the speakers being stored laying down on their backs with the weight of the speaker on the pots? This could cause the connections inside to flex and become loose.

Good Luck. Nothing like spending money before we make it.

Scott

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »

Debbie,

Trouble with 2 JBL's and now a Yammy!!!??? Bummer!! Those are reliable pieces of gear.

My first thoughts is:  Is it a moisture issue? Is all your gear stored together? Any signs of corrosion or rust on anything? Are they in covers that are damp on the inside? 
  Second thought:  Are the speakers being stored laying down on their backs with the weight of the speaker on the pots? This could cause the connections inside to flex and become loose.

Good Luck. Nothing like spending money before we make it.

Scott

I am crazy careful with my gear. 
No moisture, everything stored in the garage attached to the house, heavily insulated  so temperatures stay reasonable. Everything stored upright and only moved around by us. If anything even gets close to getting wet, it sits in my garage with the window AC unit on for days just to be safe. Rarely does any of my gear see any moisture. The DSR's and the SRX812's have never been wet.

The SRX815 had the XLR release tab break so I couldn't remove the cable from it - had to go in and be taken apart.
The SRX812 had a piece of plastic come loose from the driver and rattle around inside - this has happened to others on the forum too with SRX and PRX series speakers. It didn't damage anything but caused a weird noise when it bounced around with the speaker on. I found it myself and removed it.
Now the DSR112 which obviously has an amp issue.... so there is no common denominator other than my luck...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.