ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68661 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »

I just got a call from the shop.
He told me he checked the woofer first and it was fine ( which I figured). Then he pushed all the switches in and out and moved the mic/line switch back and forth and all of a sudden on it came. He sprayed with some de-oxidizer and we are all good.
So, I'm really happy it wasn't something major but I wish I had moved the switches -I'd have found the problem right away. Never even thought of it. The mic/line switch has been in the same position since I purchased the speakers but it just goes to show that sometimes it is a good idea to move them back and forth....happy ending.

"I just love a happy ending."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »

"I just love a happy ending."

Ha. Don't we all :)

Glad it worked out Debbie.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

Then he pushed all the switches in and out and moved the mic/line switch back and forth and all of a sudden on it came. He sprayed with some de-oxidizer and we are all good.

Odd that only the woofer was impacted.  But, good info to file away for the future.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »

Odd that only the woofer was impacted.  But, good info to file away for the future.

Dave

I agree - I didn't think to ask that on the call but I will when I pick it up because it seems strange to me too. Why was the horn functioning perfectly well?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »

I agree - I didn't think to ask that on the call but I will when I pick it up because it seems strange to me too. Why was the horn functioning perfectly well?
Good things to know as i am buying a pair in march. 7 years of warranty on a powered speaker is saying a lot.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »

BTW - The repair guy had researched the cost of a replacement woofer - till he got mine on the bench and knew what the problem was - and COST is $400 - WOW !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

I just got a call from the shop.
He told me he checked the woofer first and it was fine ( which I figured). Then he pushed all the switches in and out and moved the mic/line switch back and forth and all of a sudden on it came. He sprayed with some de-oxidizer and we are all good.
So, I'm really happy it wasn't something major but I wish I had moved the switches -I'd have found the problem right away. Never even thought of it. The mic/line switch has been in the same position since I purchased the speakers but it just goes to show that sometimes it is a good idea to move them back and forth....happy ending.
Dirty contacts (switches/pots etc) are a constant problem.

They can cause everything from sound cutting out, to weird sounds, to distortion.

It is standard practice called "reseating the card", which is simply pulling a card out and replacing it.

When the contacts "wipe" they often clean themselves.

Contacts need to be "worked" from time to time to avoid the corrosion.

That is one reason Mcintosch uses reed switches (sealed), to keep them lasting forever.  But that comes at a price $
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »

Likely multiple sets of contacts on the switch. Some affect the HF and some the LF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Bolt

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »

I'll have to add that to the PM checklist.  Thanks Debbie, good to know.
Me as well.

Thanks for the info Debbie.

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »

Dirty contacts (switches/pots etc) are a constant problem.

They can cause everything from sound cutting out, to weird sounds, to distortion.

It is standard practice called "reseating the card", which is simply pulling a card out and replacing it.

When the contacts "wipe" they often clean themselves.

Contacts need to be "worked" from time to time to avoid the corrosion.

That is one reason Mcintosch uses reed switches (sealed), to keep them lasting forever.  But that comes at a price $

Can anyone recommend a good contact cleaner for this?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.