ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: My beloved DSR112 not well  (Read 68666 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
My beloved DSR112 not well
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »

Went out this lunchtime to do a daytime set up in a local restaurant/bar ready for this evening and one of my DSR112's wasn't working - or at lest the woofer. I can hear the horn but no woofer. Definitely the speaker - iPod directly in and same result. So I brought them both home with me and will be taking the SRX112's with me to replace them. The sound check was mainly for the iems today anyway... I'll just tweak the FOH sound during the first song.
What I find weird is that they were used twice last weekend and sounded fine so something happened between tear down last saturday and set up today - oh well I suppose stuff happens.
They have never been driven harder than they can safely handle but I have had quite some use out of them - just hit 3 years old.
Gonna be claiming on my 7 year warranty next week!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: My beloved DSR112 not well
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

Went out this lunchtime to do a daytime set up in a local restaurant/bar ready for this evening and one of my DSR112's wasn't working - or at lest the woofer. I can hear the horn but no woofer. Definitely the speaker - iPod directly in and same result. So I brought them both home with me and will be taking the SRX112's with me to replace them. The sound check was mainly for the iems today anyway... I'll just tweak the FOH sound during the first song.
What I find weird is that they were used twice last weekend and sounded fine so something happened between tear down last saturday and set up today - oh well I suppose stuff happens.
They have never been driven harder than they can safely handle but I have had quite some use out of them - just hit 3 years old.
Always good to have a backup Deb !

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »

Interesting. Had one go down recently almost one year in service, mounted on a wall in an install. Again not driven very hard.
Had a bad hum with no inputs connected. Contractor came and got it. Haven't heard back on the cause. Yea for the 7- year warranty!
Scott Hofmann

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

If the woofer isn’t working it might be worth cracking it open to make sure you don’t have a loose wire....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »

If the woofer isn’t working it might be worth cracking it open to make sure you don’t have a loose wire....

IFF!! The warranty isn't voided!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
There was a thread where someone had a similar problem with the DSR and found that cleaning and re-seating some of the connectors brought it back to life.

For the record, my bandmate had the exact same thing happen to his DSRs.  Not driven hard in the slightest.  One day...no woofer.

So far, so good on my pair.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »

Debbie,

I have 12 DSR112’s and all but 1 of them have been great.  That 1 speaker lost the horn.  I opened it up and found a connector had come loose.  Put it back on and all is good.  That’s probably what happened to yours.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »

Show went well and the SRX's sounded great. Chris really noticed the difference though in the weight getting them up on stands..... we have been favoring the Yamahas in those smaller venues for some time because they are so much lighter.....
Thank goodness I am fortunate enough to have alternative speakers I can use and nice ones at that!..
I'll just take them in for repair I think - I have no problem opening them up but I don't want any questions asked if the repair is more involved than a loose wire ....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 03:20:40 AM »

I've reseated one of the HF connections to the driver on one of mine.  Definitely not Monster Cable in there.  But yeah, they might not have been really tight when the box was made.  Kind of like cleaning and reseating the ribbon cables on MixWizes, and older QSC and Mackie amps.  I should probably open mine and make sure the connections are tight.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

Sorry to hear Debbie.

Mine are still running strong :)

My 7 year warranty is up now I think.  I was an early adopter.  I will keep an eye out for cut-outs in either driver though and check the ribbon connectors if that happens.

FYIW:  There are products out there specifically designed to maintain contact in connectors and prevent oxidation (we use them at work in the lab for our automotive testing products).  Additionally, if the ribbon connectors are not locking connectors (to prevent them from being mechanically vibrated off), then there are electronic board epoxies that are used specifically to keep parts on board under severe vibration that you can buy to prevent this (which we also use on our products).

Since my DSR's are now out of warranty (at least it gave me piece of mind for 7 years), I may just open them up and do this as a preventative measure since I have heard of a few cases of this happening to people who own the venerable DSR112 :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.