ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability of smaller digital mixers  (Read 19760 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Reliability of smaller digital mixers
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

Myth buster;

When the gain structure is properly set, and the latest firmware upgrade applied, there is no preamp noise in the UI16. Not on the one I own, not on any that I have used, even at very high gain levels. The UI16 is a great entry level, fully supported rack mount mixer, and combined with the remote app should do the job just fine and dandy.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »

With the latest firmware the Ui16 is decent. I had mine out for Christmas Tree lighting/choir concert events this whole month. The built in WiFi is crap, you need to use an external router/access point.

My main digital mixer is a Allen Heath QuPac and when needed I have the AB168 and AR2412 stage boxes for more channels.

Neither has given me any problems.

Mal Brown

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

From what I read, the UI series has noisy preamps and the TM has too many quirks to be usable (like Don stated above) in addition to being slooow.

The Ui-24 has a very low noise floor.

The ui-24 has a fundamentally different concept of operations than any other digital mixer I know of.  As a day time software guy, night time bass player and sound guy - the device independence offered by the UI-24, combined with the ease of use and the sound quality makes it my choice in a personal mixer.

I also own Si-1, SI-3 boards with the 32x12 mini stage box.  Have personal experience with Mackie and Presonus digital boards that I owned previously. 

I wish the SI app offered half the functionality of the UI software...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:59:45 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

What does the joystick do?
Leftover from the Who's Quadrophenia tour..... ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

kel mcguire

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »

From what I read, the UI series has noisy preamps and the TM has too many quirks to be usable (like Don stated above) in addition to being slooow.

I cannot fathom the QSC TM "quirks" making it unusable? Did you mean you're "slow" on the mixer after trying it at Guitar Center?

Steve Crump

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »

That is not exactly what Don said.

What quirks are you talking about with the TM? I have been using one and have not experienced any quirks, but I would like to know what to look out for. Considering I have been using it for about two years with no issues I now feel like I must be doing something wrong.

For mobile use, I will admit I like the QU product better, including the app. But when I have something simple going on like a trio on a deck at a bar and grill, a picking and singing at a small outdoor syrup cooking event, or a small jam session at a wedding reception (maybe a rural southern thing) and I am not carrying a full setup, I much rather grab a small column system and the TM (in the carry case that it came with). It is compact and light and the WiFi connection at these small events has never failed me (I would recommend a external router for larger events). The latest firmware also added some nice features, which I still have yet to explore.

Not trying to be a TM trumpeter, but if you are going to throw it under the bus at least list specific short comings in the product reliability, because that is what the OP is asking about. 

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »

I'm at 5 years with my Mackie DL1608. I use it weekly or more, and have never had a problem with it.

Mal Brown

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »

I'm at 5 years with my Mackie DL1608. I use it weekly or more, and have never had a problem with it.

I was a long time user of the dl-1608 as well.  I liked that board real well.  I figured at 5 yrs it was time to upgrade.  Sold mine to a church.  They seem to love it.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »

The X32r has 6 Aux In's as well.

Douglas R. Allen

True; however, the total input count between the X32 Rack and the Ui 24 is still 22 for both.  I give the edge to the Ui 24 since it has more mic preamps than the X32 Rack while maintaining the same total number of inputs through the use of combination jacks.

veditor78

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »

I use a UI16 in my wedding DJ rig. I don't notice any noise compared to running straight to the speakers from my DJ mixer. It's been rock solid for me over the last year or so.

I bought it so I would have better control of my 3 wireless and 1 wired mic. Having the PEQ, gates, and compressor has been a huge help eliminating feedback and protecting my system from plosives and the inevitable mic drop.
Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.