ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: How Tours work - A&H D-Live - Further escapades from book space  (Read 17813 times)

Richsoper

Re: How Tours work - A&H D-Live - Further escapades from book space
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 04:22:38 AM »

I had a VW 10 years ago - the dealer was terrible.... doesn’t mean I won’t buy another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »

I had a VW 10 years ago - the dealer was terrible.... doesn’t mean I won’t buy another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most major cities you can drive across town to a different dealer.  You don't have that option with a single importer/distributor.

It doesn't matter how brilliant something is if it's not in the hands of the people who actually spend the money for it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »

In install  land the DLive is great.  There were some early firmware tweaks, but they have been great so far.  The cross-polination with Digico hasn't hurt, the interface is awesome. 

Support has been great, but we're a larger user so that is to be expected. 

It seems like most end users either want Digico, or are familiar with Yamaha, or want SSL, but are willing to save a chunk of money and go with "close enough" (compared to Digico or SSL or Yamaha PM) or better (compared to Yamaha CL). 

I'm out of the loop regarding live production and tours now. 

I wouldn't feel limited or hesitant by a DLive, Digico SD, Yamaha PM, or SSL.  To me they are all similar enough to be considered the same league. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »

I'm out of the loop regarding live production and tours now. 

I wouldn't feel limited or hesitant by a DLive, Digico SD, Yamaha PM, or SSL.  To me they are all similar enough to be considered the same league. 
Digico SD7 and SD10, with a spattering of SD8s (all with the theatre software package) rule the roost in touring Broadway. I've seen a few CL5s, but it's been a few years. Been awhile since I've seen any of the Avid consoles either.

Never once seen an Allen and Heath console in touring Broadway. No Soundcrafts either. I don't work arena shows any more, so I'm not sure what they are carrying.

But of all the riders that we get for one off shows, or smaller music touring acts, I have never seen Allen and Heath listed as a preferred console either.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »

Digico SD7 and SD10, with a spattering of SD8s (all with the theatre software package) rule the roost in touring Broadway. I've seen a few CL5s, but it's been a few years. Been awhile since I've seen any of the Avid consoles either.

Never once seen an Allen and Heath console in touring Broadway. No Soundcrafts either. I don't work arena shows any more, so I'm not sure what they are carrying.

But of all the riders that we get for one off shows, or smaller music touring acts, I have never seen Allen and Heath listed as a preferred console either.

Your comments about them being used in theater situations made me think of something:

Last year, we did a couple of outdoor shows (fairs/festivals) that both happened to be two-band nights. At the first one, the headliner brought in their own console (Digico SD) and the opener had a show file for our Pro2. The second show was a reverse in that the headliner had a Pro2 file and the opener brought their own SD. Both cases, even under a tent at FOH, you could NOT see the Digico screens without nearly completely covering the console until it was dark. The one guy even carried a black felt blanket in the doghouse for laying over the console while using the screen. The Midas screen was clear as day no matter how bright it was out there.

I recently saw a concert on TV where one of the camera angles kept catching monitor world where there was an SD-something (don't remember which one), and there was a guy standing next to monitor dude holding a big piece of cardboard over the console while he was messing with the screen. Tried to find it on youtube...no luck yet.

My question for the Digico guys is: Are they all like this? I can see where a dark theater wouldn't be a problem, but based on my experiences with those things outdoors I'd never want to use one anywhere but in a dimly lit basement. Nice feature set though...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:17:25 AM by Adam Kane »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »

The preponderance of Digico in the Broadway theatre world is due mainly to their theatre specific software package which was developed by Andrew Bruce, who also developed the theatre specific SAM automation package for the Cadac J-Type analog console which were the previous primary Broadway theatre sound console.

Obviously, outdoor rock and roll festivals that need to be seen under direct sunlight are less interested in automation than they are being able to seen the stuff on the screen.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »

Obviously, outdoor rock and roll festivals that need to be seen under direct sunlight are less interested in automation than they are being able to seen the stuff on the screen.

You've got that right!  There is a company manufacturing console "tents" for specific boards.  That's not what they call them, but I saw them at LDI, NAMM, or both.  They are black fabric with a light weight frame and cover the display but leave enough of the console exposed to mix from.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

You've got that right!  There is a company manufacturing console "tents" for specific boards.  That's not what they call them, but I saw them at LDI, NAMM, or both.  They are black fabric with a light weight frame and cover the display but leave enough of the console exposed to mix from.
Do boards at this level provide external display outputs? (even if it's an internal header somewhere?)
We regularly install full-sunlight rated signage and TV's outdoors.
How cool would it be to have a 55" Sunbrite acting as your console's display.  :)
(although I'm sure lack of touch sensor and alignment with hot-keys would be an issue with some models)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »

Do boards at this level provide external display outputs? (even if it's an internal header somewhere?)
We regularly install full-sunlight rated signage and TV's outdoors.
How cool would it be to have a 55" Sunbrite acting as your console's display.  :)
(although I'm sure lack of touch sensor and alignment with hot-keys would be an issue with some models)
Not from Yamaha. I think maybe Avid does this, and Digio has an overview view, but not really a full duplicate of the screen surface.

Plus most of these console have touch screen now.

I can barley seem my laptop or iPad screen during the day when I go out and do recording or Smaart tuning at the local outdoor venue that I work at occasionally.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »

On top of that, my prescription sunglasses are polarized and completely block the light from some displays.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.