ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DCA clipping...X32 ?  (Read 8167 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: DCA clipping...X32 ?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 06:23:30 AM »

Mark;

Check to see if the clip light is Post Bus Master Fader.   ;)  I know I normally have 3 stereo Buses setup for my mixing. 1 for vocal's , 1 for guitars and 1 for the drums set to stereo. As I add channels to each Bus I bring the Bus master down some. I can run each Channel at -18dbu and run the channel fader around +/- 6db and have set the Bus master down with no clip indicators.  Seems to be 1 channel going to a Bus I can have the Bus master at 0.   2 channels Bus master to neg 6.   4 channels sent to a bus the Bus master to -12 etc. ( all aprox ) . I've been doing this for some time and it seems to work well for me.

A good link to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBHcfyI5e8&t=27s

Picture is of my general starting point of my Bus Masters.

Douglas R. Allen

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »

Mark;

Check to see if the clip light is Post Bus Master Fader.   ;)  I know I normally have 3 stereo Buses setup for my mixing. 1 for vocal's , 1 for guitars and 1 for the drums set to stereo. As I add channels to each Bus I bring the Bus master down some. I can run each Channel at -18dbu and run the channel fader around +/- 6db and have set the Bus master down with no clip indicators.  Seems to be 1 channel going to a Bus I can have the Bus master at 0.   2 channels Bus master to neg 6.   4 channels sent to a bus the Bus master to -12 etc. ( all aprox ) . I've been doing this for some time and it seems to work well for me.

A good link to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBHcfyI5e8&t=27s

Picture is of my general starting point of my Bus Masters.

Douglas R. Allen

Thx guys,

I feel very comfortable with gain structure, and how channels can sum to higher levels. 
(Watched the two Scovill classes to hear his takes on analog emulation...very interesting).

Here's the simplest test I've found to check out DCA clipping.

Oscillator to Mixbus 1; Mixbus 1 to Output 1; Scope on Output 1.

DCA1 assigned to Mixbus 1. DCA meter reads Mixbus1 output as set by bus master, at all times. 
DCA meter does not vary with DCA fader level, nor does a DCA solo vary.

Sine from oscillator set at -3dB.  Mixbus1 master at 0, DCA fader at 0.  All good.  Mixbus1 meter, DCA strip meter (and solo) all in sync at -3dB.

Raise Mixbus1 master, DCA meter shows clipping.  Scope shows clipping.  Good! preventable by DCA meter observation.

Leave Mixbus1 master at 0, raise DCA fader observing no change on DCA meter. Scope shows clipping. Bad!
Not preventable by any meter observation unless Mixbus 1 is routed to a Main or matrix output for observation there.

I guess the moral or the story is i need to be more careful with Mixbuses and DCA's going straight to outputs.
I was getting along fine with this for years, using only a single DCA per Mixbus.  Like you guys were saying, no audible worries.
I think when i went to 2 DCA's per mixbus, their compounding effect pushed me into audible clipping.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »

I hadn't messed with X32/M32's 4.04 firmware much. Perhaps only mixed a couple of shows on it before I got parked. Interesting they would change that topology. To me, it was very well sorted in that regard. There are a couple of other things they did too that I don't like in 4.04.

In previous versions, if you pressed the DCA select button it would show you instantly with a button glow which channels were present in that DCA. Now you have to press and hold the DCA for a brief moment to get the same data, much longer than is needed to see which channels are in the DCA. I do like the DCA channel spill-over though. It is very nice to be able to tap the DCA button and have the channels in that DCA come to your top layer.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »

I hadn't messed with X32/M32's 4.04 firmware much. Perhaps only mixed a couple of shows on it before I got parked. Interesting they would change that topology. To me, it was very well sorted in that regard. There are a couple of other things they did too that I don't like in 4.04.

In previous versions, if you pressed the DCA select button it would show you instantly with a button glow which channels were present in that DCA. Now you have to press and hold the DCA for a brief moment to get the same data, much longer than is needed to see which channels are in the DCA. I do like the DCA channel spill-over though. It is very nice to be able to tap the DCA button and have the channels in that DCA come to your top layer.

Luke; 

There is 4.06 out now. They changed the DCA spill again I feel in a negative way. When you select a DCA and there is only 3 channels in it as an example the other faders on the layer don't go down instead only the Scribble strip light goes and and the non DCA faders don't work. They said the reason is to reduce fader wear and noise. To me it is a big step backwards. I have 4.04.1 and like it a lot but again don't care for this newer one. I'm hoping they will add some way to disable this in the future.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.