ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Player  (Read 7319 times)

David Allred

Re: Media Player
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:57 PM »

Not knowing Scott’s situation it’s hard to say what would cut it. 

Agreed.  But that is why I threw it in.  Maybe not for this application, but maybe another.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »

Agreed.  But that is why I threw it in.  Maybe not for this application, but maybe another.

Oh absolutely, and I have nothing against these!  It’s just aside from form-factor, what other requirements Scott needs to meet with his solution.  I’ve put many Amazon and Best Buy products into applications that they probably don’t belong and still had good results - they just don’t always give me the warm fuzzy feeling I get from more robust solutions!   

Scott Levine

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »

Oh absolutely, and I have nothing against these!  It’s just aside from form-factor, what other requirements Scott needs to meet with his solution.  I’ve put many Amazon and Best Buy products into applications that they probably don’t belong and still had good results - they just don’t always give me the warm fuzzy feeling I get from more robust solutions!

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I do a lot of gigs that will combine live bands and artists that sing and dance to tracks.  I have had people come up with phones, which is easy enough.  1/8 in to stereo XLR inputs.  You can get those adapters for $10.  I was hoping for a handheld format with a small LCD screen for cuing that accepts a USB input.  I did not want to also have to tote a laptop in addition to the tablet that I use to remote control Yamaha consoles.
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Scott Levine

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 11:55:56 PM »

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I do a lot of gigs that will combine live bands and artists that sing and dance to tracks.  I have had people come up with phones, which is easy enough.  1/8 in to stereo XLR inputs.  You can get those adapters for $10.  I was hoping for a handheld format with a small LCD screen for cuing that accepts a USB input.  I did not want to also have to tote a laptop in addition to the tablet that I use to remote control Yamaha consoles.

Perhaps not the elegant solution I was hoping for, but what about using this adapter (https://www.greenbot.com/article/2155300/how-to-hook-up-a-usb-flash-drive-to-your-android-device.html) as an interface combined with your average multi-card reader (https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Super-Multi-Card-Reader-TS-RDF8K/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513918447&sr=8-4&keywords=multi+card+reader+usb) and simply use my phone for the purpose?  LOL
Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

Perhaps not the elegant solution I was hoping for, but what about using this adapter (https://www.greenbot.com/article/2155300/how-to-hook-up-a-usb-flash-drive-to-your-android-device.html) as an interface combined with your average multi-card reader (https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Super-Multi-Card-Reader-TS-RDF8K/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513918447&sr=8-4&keywords=multi+card+reader+usb) and simply use my phone for the purpose?  LOL

No worries, and this kind of solution is exactly what I was getting at.  Does it work?  Maybe?  Sometimes?  How much would you trust this to work and what are the consequences if it doesn’t?  What happens if your phone rings while playing a track with this device?  I run into similar situations when providing mainstage sound for local (small) festivals with a wide variety of acts - think talent show style.  Sometimes I can get the media ahead of time and sometimes I can’t.  At least with my Denon racks I don’t have to worry about the device itself working, and these particular units can copy the media off CDs so that I’m always playing back from a solid state source.  If time permits I can just do the same thing with my computer.  I know you don’t want a computer dongle or 19” rackmount unit, but you’ll have to weigh that against the pervceived reliability of something else if you can’t find a solution you trust completely.  Hope this helps and good luck!   

Scott Levine

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

No worries, and this kind of solution is exactly what I was getting at.  Does it work?  Maybe?  Sometimes?  How much would you trust this to work and what are the consequences if it doesn’t?  What happens if your phone rings while playing a track with this device?  I run into similar situations when providing mainstage sound for local (small) festivals with a wide variety of acts - think talent show style.  Sometimes I can get the media ahead of time and sometimes I can’t.  At least with my Denon racks I don’t have to worry about the device itself working, and these particular units can copy the media off CDs so that I’m always playing back from a solid state source.  If time permits I can just do the same thing with my computer.  I know you don’t want a computer dongle or 19” rackmount unit, but you’ll have to weigh that against the pervceived reliability of something else if you can’t find a solution you trust completely.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks.  You would think this would be easier!  I have a peavey 10 channel board that has bluetooth and a built in media player, but I do not want to have to lug that either!
Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »

What?!?! Do you mean I can take those PCMCIA cards and CF>PCMCIA adapters out of my briefcase? I just need to keep the 12-15 USB sticks I have in there?

Mac

Hey Mac, it's not my fault you mix on dinosaurs...  :)

I thought the CF was pretty much a "legacy" storage device as most of portable audio (and what little VDO I touch) I've encountered recently has all be SD card based.   Probably because I don't work directly in video, I didn't realize that Canon (among others) was still using it.

Happy Holly-Daze.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Levine

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »

Hey Mac, it's not my fault you mix on dinosaurs...  :)

I thought the CF was pretty much a "legacy" storage device as most of portable audio (and what little VDO I touch) I've encountered recently has all be SD card based.   Probably because I don't work directly in video, I didn't realize that Canon (among others) was still using it.

Happy Holly-Daze.

He he.  I am almost always on a Yamaha digital console.  On rare occasions, a Soundcraft or Allan & Heath analog board (Usually outdoor/bad weather) gigs. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:58:43 AM by Mac Kerr »
Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.