ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Player  (Read 7321 times)

Scott Levine

Media Player
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

I have been mixing gigs where.people are showing up with all kinds of media containing their tracks. This includes company flash and thumb drives. Is there a micro solution that will fit in my gig box without having to have a laptop?  Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Scott Levine

Re: Media Player
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »

I have been mixing gigs where.people are showing up with all kinds of media containing their tracks. This includes company flash and thumb drives. Is there a micro solution that will fit in my gig box without having to have a laptop?  Thanks.

Compact Flash. Damn spell check.

Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »

Hi Scott,

I use a pair of Denon DN-501Cs for media playback when I don’t want/need/trust my laptop.  They’re nifty units and can handle a wide variety of audio formats on CD or USB.  The Denon DN-300Z is similar but offers more input formats, including SD cards.  I’m not sure how big your gig bag is, but aside from USB dongles or maybe a Best Buy-type solution this is where I’d be looking.  Hope this helps!

Scott Levine

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »

Hi Scott,

I use a pair of Denon DN-501Cs for media playback when I don’t want/need/trust my laptop.  They’re nifty units and can handle a wide variety of audio formats on CD or USB.  The Denon DN-300Z is similar but offers more input formats, including SD cards.  I’m not sure how big your gig bag is, but aside from USB dongles or maybe a Best Buy-type solution this is where I’d be looking.  Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeff.  These seem great but I was hoping for something more compact and def. not rack sized.  I have a large pelican case that is pretty damn full!  I was hoping not to add a larger load to tote around.
Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »

Thanks Jeff.  These seem great but I was hoping for something more compact and def. not rack sized.  I have a large pelican case that is pretty damn full!  I was hoping not to add a larger load to tote around.
Rolls has a half or third rackspace thing that does wma and MP3 but that wouldn’t be enough formats for me... usb and sd card....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »

Compact Flash. Damn spell check.

What still uses CF?  I figured it was dead format by now, like the PCMCIA memory cards used in Yammy's PM5D.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »

What still uses CF?  I figured it was dead format by now, like the PCMCIA memory cards used in Yammy's PM5D.

What?!?! Do you mean I can take those PCMCIA cards and CF>PCMCIA adapters out of my briefcase? I just need to keep the 12-15 USB sticks I have in there?

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »

Some pro cameras still use them. You can actually label the cases for them and not lose them in your pocket

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

USB / SD media players in the $25-30 range on eBay and Amazon.  Requires a monitor if cueing  trax. 
Definitely small. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »

USB / SD media players in the $25-30 range on eBay and Amazon.  Requires a monitor if cueing  trax. 
Definitely small.

Yes, but this also opens up the can of worms of “what do you consider reliable enough and quality enough for professional use?”  Not knowing Scott’s situation it’s hard to say what would cut it.  Even my Denons are a far cry from the true professional solutions found in absolutely critical media playback situations, but I’ve found them robust and reliable enough for things like National Anthem playback at municipal tribute events and whatnot.     

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.