ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Over-under cable question.  (Read 33374 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Over-under cable question.
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

Having used the U/O method for so long now, I even tie my shoelaces that way !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Ferreira

« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »

On short cables, the benefit is less apparent.
On cables over 50’ , the benefits are huge.
In that case, it’s not the speed but the long term health of the cables.
I will take on anyone in speed wrapping (not rapping...) long cables.
Of course, without twisting the cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Ferreira

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2017, 02:59:47 PM »

As far as the amount of time it takes for me to wrap up a cable, IMO there is no contest. Over-under will always be faster than over-over because I don't have to stop to untangle a twisted mess part way through.

When I do get help, I ask people to: find a cable, separate it from the rest, and just toss it somewhere on the floor where it is not touching any other cables. Do not attempt to make it into a neat pile. Do not coil it. (Do not fold, staple or mutilate :) )

As to a contest with the "reel" users, by the time they get all set up to do the 1st cable, I have already completed several cables and doubt they can catch up on anything shorter than a batch of 50 foot and longer cables.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »

As far as the amount of time it takes for me to wrap up a cable, IMO there is no contest. Over-under will always be faster than over-over because I don't have to stop to untangle a twisted mess part way through.

When I do get help, I ask people to: find a cable, separate it from the rest, and just toss it somewhere on the floor where it is not touching any other cables. Do not attempt to make it into a neat pile. Do not coil it. (Do not fold, staple or mutilate :) )

As to a contest with the "reel" users, by the time they get all set up to do the 1st cable, I have already completed several cables and doubt they can catch up on anything shorter than a batch of 50 foot and longer cables.

We use fire hose reels (they were on sale at a local industrial surplus shop) we modified with a base and crank handle.  It's about storage density.  We get about 80(ish) 25' cables on a reel that's about 25" x 10".  It slides into a space in the bottom of the work boxes.  We've yet to find anything else that puts so many cables in such a small space.

An experienced over-under person can fly through cables if they're laid out, I agree.  Even reeling in the mic cables requires a bit of intuition for tension and distribution across the drum as you wind it in, which is something that 40% of helpers that cannot over-under, also fail at.  There is no fool-resistant way.  :o
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »

We use fire hose reels (they were on sale at a local industrial surplus shop) we modified with a base and crank handle.  It's about storage density.  We get about 80(ish) 25' cables on a reel that's about 25" x 10".  It slides into a space in the bottom of the work boxes.  We've yet to find anything else that puts so many cables in such a small space.

An experienced over-under person can fly through cables if they're laid out, I agree.  Even reeling in the mic cables requires a bit of intuition for tension and distribution across the drum as you wind it in, which is something that 40% of helpers that cannot over-under, also fail at.  There is no fool-resistant way.  :o
Back when I was in the rental business, I used large hose reels.

I would clear the stage of backline, mic stands etc, and leave all the mic cables till last.

Then you can "plop down" at the snake head and reel them all in.

It is also handy to have a damp cloth with you.  That way you can run the cables through the cloth and clean them as you put tension on the cable.

It is a double win.

When setting up, put the reel near the snake head and simply pull off what you need, then plug it in.  Much faster than if you have to connect a couple together to get to the far side of the stage.

Another easy thing to do is to run a cable checker either before or after the gig.

Just hook it to each end of the spool and you can test all the cables at once.

If they are good, then great.  You feel better about using them.

But if you have a break, you have no idea which one it is, but you can leave the tester hooked up to the inside cable and pull them off one at a time and just have to plug in 1 end to test.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: cable testing question.
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »

Another easy thing to do is to run a cable checker either before or after the gig.

Just hook it to each end of the spool and you can test all the cables at once.

If they are good, then great.  You feel better about using them.

But if you have a break, you have no idea which one it is, but you can leave the tester hooked up to the inside cable and pull them off one at a time and just have to plug in 1 end to test.

Of course, if you have an even number of out of polarity cables they all read as good.  ::)

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: cable testing question.
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »

Of course, if you have an even number of out of polarity cables they all read as good.  ::)

Mac
True.  But I would hope that breakage would be a bigger issue than out of polarity cables.

Those should have been noticed ahead of time.

That doesn't normally change with use :)

But then again, as long as a single strand of copper is connected, it will pass a continuity test.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »

I was an O/O person for the longest time, well over 40 years.  I couldn't seem to wrap my mind - or my cables - around the idea of O/U.  I've moved from the "dark side"  ;) but only recently so still getting used to this "new" O/U way.  So far, it's working.   
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »

I was an O/O person for the longest time, well over 40 years.  I couldn't seem to wrap my mind - or my cables - around the idea of O/U.  I've moved from the "dark side"  ;) but only recently so still getting used to this "new" O/U way.  So far, it's working.

Welcome to the dark/right side.

we have cake.

and proper employment.

enjoy both at your own risk...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Lyle Williams

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2017, 04:31:09 AM »

On short cables, the benefit is less apparent.
On cables over 50’ , the benefits are huge.
In that case, it’s not the speed but the long term health of the cables.
I will take on anyone in speed wrapping (not rapping...) long cables.😄

Ok.  The rules are the cable starts uncoiled on the floor.  The cable must then be coiled and tied.  Then uncoiled and pulled straight (untangled) onto the floor.

Post your times, techniques and cable lengths.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2017, 04:31:09 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.