ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Over-under cable question.  (Read 18344 times)

John Chiara

Over-under cable question.
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:59:37 pm »

Stupid and simple question. If cables are coiled over-under..it seems that if they are uncoiled from the 'other' end...there is a knot every 3'.
Is there a protocol for which end to start from?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Over-under cable question.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:07:09 pm »

Stupid and simple question. If cables are coiled over-under..it seems that if they are uncoiled from the 'other' end...there is a knot every 3'.
It's more a matter of determining how it was coiled.
If you are not wrapping all your own cables, its a crap shoot as to how it was done.
I usually hold the coil in my left hand  and open a few coils with my right to see how it has been done.
When coiling, I start with the FM end pointing away from me in my left hand and proceed from there.
Then I know how they will unwrap.

It seems to be a real arguement between over under and over over.
I have determined, from many years of experience, that it is easier and better for the cable to wrap over under.
Just try to wrap 200' of video co-ax over over!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:44:53 pm »

You only end up with knots when one end goes through the middle of the whole loop and is uncoiled that way. I like to keep my velcro or string tight to keep the coil from rolling on itself causing this issue.

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:48:37 pm »

It is not a matter of which end it is unrolled from, but whether you accidentally put one of the ends through the middle of the coil before unspooling the roll.  With that one mistake, you will make a knot for every two wraps for the entire length.  Try it with a piece of string sometime.  It is a cool trick.

Marc

Corey beat me to it.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »

As far as I am concerned the whole over under wrap thing is a load of BS. There is ZERO empirical evidence to show that it makes cables last longer, lay flatter and coil easier. As far as my research can determine, the over under coiling technique is a fisherman's way of coiling the drag line into a receptacle. In this case one end is always attached to something so that it can never get tied into a knot.

There is essentially a 50/50 chance you will pick up the cable and pull the end through the wrong way.  You will get one knot for every three coiling's. Or you could say that with a 25' cable you could have as many as 5-8 knots. I HATE over under wraps for shorter cable lengths.

The whole " cable has a memory " thing is true, but....... it can be re-wired to have a new memory :)    When coiling a cable up that is long and isn't able to be pulled towards you, an over under wrap makes sense. In order to keep it from twisting you have to do the coil one way then the other. Shorter cables can typically be pulled out into a work space that allows you to wrap them as you desire. I find it faster to have my 25' and under cables wrapped in a typical over over fashion and simply toss them out, connect and then re-wrap as needed. If I grab an over under wrapped cable and I sling it out and acquire knots, I now have lost time. It is easier to twist a cable to get kinks out than to have to physically untie knots.

Longer, thicker cables are more difficult to get into a relaxed laying position. Once they have settled into one, it is advisable to keep it wrapped that way. and since larger, longer cables do not twist as easily, it makes 100% sense to use an over under wrap. The cool thing is that larger cables that are longer are also typically easier to determine which end belongs where. A long XLR is a crap shot. It if was wrapped poorly, and you can't determine which end is home, you are not going to have fun.

My go to is simple: Do not fight the cable. It will tell you which way it wants to be coiled. Simply do that and you shouldn't have problems.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 02:19:43 pm »

I find it faster to have my 25' and under cables wrapped in a typical over over fashion and simply toss them out, connect and then re-wrap as needed.

When uncoiling an over-over wrap, I can't get the ~12 twists out of a 25' cable in a reasonable amount of time in order to get it to lay flat when I uncoil the whole thing.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 02:29:55 pm »

When uncoiling an over-over wrap, I can't get the ~12 twists out of a 25' cable in a reasonable amount of time in order to get it to lay flat when I uncoil the whole thing.
Completely agree.
If coiled over/under a consistent way, then it's always a piece of cake to uncoil.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:39:01 pm »

"In the blue corner we have over and under...In the red corner we have over and over."  ;D

I've been coiling over and over since dirt was young. That's the only way I can do it now. Every time I try to unroll an over/under I get numerous knots.

From my experience, there's only one way you can uncoil over/under. Over/over can be uncoiled in any fashion. Twists aren't really a problem for me. It's easier if you stretch them out a little first.

I like to "roll out" my larger/heavier cables, I don't think you can do that with over/under

ADD on:

I hate Velcro on mic cables. Looks like crap and I can never find the end...especially in low lighting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:42:12 pm by Jamin Lynch »
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 02:42:31 pm »

"In the blue corner we have over and under...In the red corner we have over and over."  ;D

I've been coiling over and over since dirt was young. That's the only way I can do it now. Every time I try to unroll an over/under I get numerous knots.

From my experience, there's only one way you can uncoil over/under. Over/over can be uncoiled in any fashion. Twists aren't really a problem for me. It's easier if you stretch them out a little first.

I like to "roll out" may larger/heavier cables, I don't think you can do that with over/under
To each his own but, like I said, try over/over with 200' of coax and see how you like it. ;)
The problem with over/over isn't how it's coiled, it's how people uncoil.
It should be done hand over hand to simulate a reel.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »

To each his own but, like I said, try over/over with 200' of coax and see how you like it. ;)
The problem with over/over isn't how it's coiled, it's how people uncoil.
It should be done hand over hand to simulate a reel.

Fortunately, I don't have to roll up coax. I can see where that would be a real pain. That's why my 200' Cat5 snake is on a reel.

Hand over hand (or roll out) to simulate a reel is the way I uncoil my larger/heavier cables.
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.